Old 09-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #46
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter View Post
You've proved my point by having to use Oscar, a pretty rare case, as a comparison.

That's the problem Khan has, he's being measured against exceptional fighters, not just being judged for who and what he is.
hold on a minute,i have grown to like him a little bit,his win over koltinik is a little(little)impressive,
but khan was a Olympic silver medalists,went on to beat his conqueror(fair enough,a fix)not some 25 fight domestic amature who has turned pro,and learning his trade,who should be brought up slowly.
he was and still is sold to the GP as the next BIG thing,he should be fighting better fighters,not domestic jouneymen or euro bums(hate this phrase)
but his record suggest otherwise,he has fought domestic jouneymen(smaller)and maybe ex feather fisted lighter champs(st clair).
the 1st person he fought with anypower,well we know what happened there
widdy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #47
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Kotelnik tbf is a quality win.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #48
nickythekid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Kotelnik tbf is a quality win.

do you think khan (in particular that fight) should be ppv. also did the fight excite you, what did you think when you were watching it?
nickythekid is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #49
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickythekid View Post
do you think khan (in particular that fight) should be ppv. also did the fight excite you, what did you think when you were watching it?
That's not the point Ishy was making. List reasons as to why it wasn't a good win if you don't think it was.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #50
Vantage_West
ヒップホップ·プロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather_Face View Post
Stoppage lose to Limond? what you on about
limond dropped him, he stood up then he went back to a knee (which is technically an automatic stoppage) and was on the floor when the ref counted 10. if your on the floor when the ref counts 10 even if you misread the count awake or not it still means it's a ko.

2 reasons why he lost that fight
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #51
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West View Post
limond dropped him, he stood up then he went back to a knee (which is technically an automatic stoppage) and was on the floor when the ref counted 10. if your on the floor when the ref counts 10 even if you misread the count awake or not it still means it's a ko.

2 reasons why he lost that fight
That was his first proper KD he got up too fast, and his corner were telling him to take a knee for the 8 count he just got a bit confused thats all.

Khan for his young age showed great heart and gave Limond a battering in the next few rounds.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #52
nickythekid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfer_Words View Post
That's not the point Ishy was making. List reasons as to why it wasn't a good win if you don't think it was.

i think it was a good win over a good opponent, but good being the opperative word. it wasn't exciting, dramatic, compelling, gutsy, brave etc. it was just good. like watching a choreographed boxing manual. A world title fight??? it was a 'quality' win as ishy said but shouldn't khan be striving forsomething more than that, i thought becoming 'world' champ meant you were the man, ready for buisness with all comers, cos that isn't khan. i just feel cheated by him and the people behind him.
wasn't disagreeing with ishy saying its a quality win, was just trying to say that.......... its a quality win on paper, not a quality win on the eyes?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #53
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
i think it was a good win over a good opponent, but good being the opperative word. it wasn't exciting, dramatic, compelling, gutsy, brave etc. it was just good. like watching a choreographed boxing manual. A world title fight??? it was a 'quality' win as ishy said but shouldn't khan be striving forsomething more than that, i thought becoming 'world' champ meant you were the man, ready for buisness with all comers, cos that isn't khan. i just feel cheated by him and the people behind him.
wasn't disagreeing with ishy saying its a quality win, was just trying to say that.......... its a quality win on paper, not a quality win on the eyes?
There you go then- even if you did not like the performance in itself or the fact that it was on PPV this doesn't detract from it being a very good win. With all of today's world titles you could argue that Khan is another world 'titlist' but he's still won an established world title in gaining the WBA strap (although they are losing their credibility at present). Khan has also already said he'd like to unify some titles so hopefully we'll find out if he is the legitimate 140lb Champ soon enough. Whether the fight against Kotelnik was for a world title or not, Khan still beat a very durable, world-class opponent, IMO.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #54
nickythekid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
There you go then- even if you did not like the performance in itself or the fact that it was on PPV this doesn't detract from it being a very good win. With all of today's world titles you could argue that Khan is another world 'titlist' but he's still won an established world title in gaining the WBA strap (although they are losing their credibility at present). Khan has also already said he'd like to unify some titles so hopefully we'll find out if he is the legitimate 140lb Champ soon enough. Whether the fight against Kotelnik was for a world title or not, Khan still beat a very durable, world-class opponent, IMO.

"very good win", did you enjoy the fight
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #55
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
"very good win", did you enjoy the fight
I did yes- the art of 'hit and don't get hit' is the essence of boxing. That said, I really like technical fighters; the main reason I am a huge JMM fan/ nuthugger and a very big fan of PBF and B-Hop as well.

Let's face facts, the Kotelnik-Khan fight was never going to be Katsidis-Amonsot II, was it?! Styles make fights and that was the only way Khan was going to beat him, IMO. Maidana tried to brawl with Kotelnik and lost (albeit via an SD). Kotelnik has also never been floored and also has a hugely underrated defence- Khan was only ever going to win by trying to outbox him on the outside.

I enjoyed it- I fully understand why others didn't, though.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #56
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post
hold on a minute,i have grown to like him a little bit,his win over koltinik is a little(little)impressive,
but khan was a Olympic silver medalists,went on to beat his conqueror(fair enough,a fix)not some 25 fight domestic amature who has turned pro,and learning his trade,who should be brought up slowly.
he was and still is sold to the GP as the next BIG thing,he should be fighting better fighters,not domestic jouneymen or euro bums(hate this phrase)
but his record suggest otherwise,he has fought domestic jouneymen(smaller)and maybe ex feather fisted lighter champs(st clair).
the 1st person he fought with anypower,well we know what happened there
I think after 21 (or whatever) fights, he's faced decent competition, that's all I'm saying

Who else fights better oppo at this stage?

How many fights do you think he should have had before he fought Barrera/Kotelnik?

The comparison with Murray is obvious and striking
trotter is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #57
nickythekid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I did yes- the art of 'hit and don't get hit' is the essence of boxing. That said, I really like technical fighters; the main reason I am a huge JMM fan/ nuthugger and a very big fan of PBF and B-Hop as well.

Let's face facts, the Kotelnik-Khan fight was never going to be Katsidis-Amonsot II, was it?! Styles make fights and that was the only way Khan was going to beat him, IMO. Maidana tried to brawl with Kotelnik and lost (albeit via an SD). Kotelnik has also never been floored and also has a hugely underrated defence- Khan was only ever going to win by trying to outbox him on the outside.

I enjoyed it- I fully understand why others didn't, though.

well put, i see where your coming from. i'll see how he goes from here on in, whether he can win using different tactics etc,and reserve judgement i havn't seen katsidis amonsot II, its now on my list!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #58
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
well put, i see where your coming from. i'll see how he goes from here on in, whether he can win using different tactics etc,and reserve judgement i havn't seen katsidis amonsot II, its now on my list!
A word of warning, there is no Katsidis-Amonsot II, mind- they only had one fight. That was just a phrase I used to say the fight wasn't going to be a repeat of a war. It's probably still on Youtube if you do want to watch it- any Katsidis fight is worth watching anyway, that's just my personal fave.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #59
nickythekid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
A word of warning, there is no Katsidis-Amonsot II, mind- they only had one fight. That was just a phrase I used to say the fight wasn't going to be a repeat of a war. It's probably still on Youtube if you do want to watch it- any Katsidis fight is worth watching anyway, that's just my personal fave.
noob i am
Old 09-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #60
bdman
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
19 (14) - 2 (2) - 0 - 1 isn't great.

Stoppage losses to Prescott and Limond, and the no-contest with a shot Barrera.

Limond? U dizzy mate? NC barrera? If he didnt want to go on then he should have pulled out in round 2 3 or 4, no shame in that with a gash in your head. Dont give me "he wanted to be a mexican warrior" bull****, cos if that was the case he shuda taken his beats and stfu
bdman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum