Old 09-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #61
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Limond? U dizzy mate? NC barrera? If he didnt want to go on then he should have pulled out in round 2 3 or 4, no shame in that with a gash in your head. Dont give me "he wanted to be a mexican warrior" bullshit, cos if that was the case he shuda taken his beats and stfu
of course he wanted to fight,when u in the ring u go on,call it pride,being a warrior or a tit,thats boxers for u,silly billys,ehbut the ref should of stopped it,called it a N/C.
i reckon it would of been a different story if no cut,he couldent knock him on his arse with only 1 eye,he still hit and run so has not to get caught

ps,before people start saying he is defensive,defensive boxers hit,pivet,bob weave,hit again,parry shots,feet planted,a bit like mayweather or sweetpea,not hit and **** off
widdy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2009, 03:10 AM   #62
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Widdy I like Khan but your right with the Barrera thingy.

BDman what a stupid comment to make...... "Dont give me "he wanted to be a mexican warrior" bullshit, cos if that was the case he shuda taken his beats and stfu" - erm hows he supposed to have taken his beats and STFU he was stopped from carrying on ???? Bet your one of these nob heads who was sat next to me jeering Barrera (One of the most entertaining fighters/boxers of our generation) as he left the ring that night.
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #63
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Khan's record for the most part is not different to any other young 25-fight guy (the Presscott loss aside), it contains a few good domestic and fringe world class scalps. I'm not excited about the Barrera win, but I have been impressed with how he knuckled down in the aftermath of the Presscott fight and seems dedicated to being the best fighter he can possibly be. As for Kotelnik, that was a quality win over a top 5 operator no doubt about it, albeit one who who stylistically well suited to him. Whilst I had it down as a 50/50 fight, I would have made him an underdog against Bradley or Urango and he shouldn't even think about stepping in with Pac, that would be murder. How it is remembered will be dependant on what Khan does from hereonin. If he takes on a few risky fights against top contenders/beltholders (Maidana, Ortiz, Holt, Hopkins, Alexander, Bradley, Urango, Diaz even still Hatton, Witter or Malignaggi) then I will respect him for it. If he comes through some of those bouts then the Kotelnik win will be viewed as the stepping stone to a very good world class career. A shot, retired Erik Morales would not count! If he goes the route I suspect ****** would favour and defends it against a load of average fighters with the dice loaded in his favour then it will be viewed as an opportunist grabbing of a paper belt against a beatable champ in order to make some money before his chin is exposed again. Over to you, Amir!
"TKO" is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #64
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
Widdy I like Khan but your right with the Barrera thingy.

BDman what a stupid comment to make...... "Dont give me "he wanted to be a mexican warrior" bullshit, cos if that was the case he shuda taken his beats and stfu" - erm hows he supposed to have taken his beats and STFU he was stopped from carrying on ???? Bet your one of these nob heads who was sat next to me jeering Barrera (One of the most entertaining fighters/boxers of our generation) as he left the ring that night.
Barrera should have done a Nate Campbell and quit and have it changed to a NC later.

It clearly should have been a NC as early as the first round when you consider:

1. The cut didn't get any worse after the first round
2. It was deemed bad enough that Barrera could not continue, hence the stoppage at the beginning of round 5.

So if the cut was bad enough that Barrera was unable to continue in round 1 why make him fight with it for 4 rounds until precisely the earliest moment that Khan could win by TD. And don't give me that "The cut saved him from getting a beating" rubbish. Of course he was going to look bad in the four rounds he was fighting with a cut that was big enough to stop the fight.

It was an absolute ****ing disgrace. You have an old, inactive legend moving up in weight to come and fight in Khan's backyard and they do this to him.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #65
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I can't believe the amount of stick I am copping, when I admitted that much of what I said was in jest.

Some people need to read the thread

At least he doesn't have WBO written all over his record
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #66
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Forgetting about the fight/ cut did anyone think MAB had a hope in hell anyway?

It not a good win for Khan on 2 counts, the unsatisfactory ending and the fact that MAB has no business being in the ring with a decent, young 140lb fighter.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #67
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Forgetting about the fight/ cut did anyone think MAB had a hope in hell anyway?

It not a good win for Khan on 2 counts, the unsatisfactory ending and the fact that MAB has no business being in the ring with a decent, young 140lb fighter.
Who knows Gaz? The cut had such an impact on the fight it's difficult to see how it could have gone.

The fight was at 135 btw.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #68
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

For all those who haven't seen it, this is the 'longcount' people are referring to:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

As 'Mookhound' said previously, it's evident he was following the ref's count.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #69
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b View Post
Who knows Gaz? The cut had such an impact on the fight it's difficult to see how it could have gone.

The fight was at 135 btw.
Good point..

I meant pre-fight, did many people think MAB was going to win? I had him down for a pretty one-sided drubbing TBH.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #70
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Good point..

I meant pre-fight, did many people think MAB was going to win? I had him down for a pretty one-sided drubbing TBH.
I thought he was capable of knocking Khan out and the fact he stiffened his legs with a few punches, despite a bad cut, lends credence to that view. The fight should have been ruled a no contest and I think the assertion that it "saved" Barrera from embarrassment has troubled logic.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #71
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
Good point..

The jokers at Sky had it down as a 'dangerous gamble'. Personally, I saw it the same way you did, Gaz. Cut or no cut, Khan was always going to win the fight, IMO.

When this thread first popped up I thought 'What a way to introduce your way to the forum'. Khan threads always last a while and evoke plenty of emotion.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #72
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b View Post
I thought he was capable of knocking Khan out and the fact he stiffened his legs with a few punches, despite a bad cut, lends credence to that view. The fight should have been ruled a no contest and I think the assertion that it "saved" Barrera from embarrassment has troubled logic.

He caught Khans attention a couple of times but pre-fight I thought Khan would win easily and I didn't see anything in the fight that made me change my mind.

Of course we'll never know what MAB could have done without the cut but I'd still stick with my original prediction for the fight.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #73
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He caught Khans attention a couple of times but pre-fight I thought Khan would win easily and I didn't see anything in the fight that made me change my mind.

Of course we'll never know what MAB could have done without the cut but I'd still stick with my original prediction for the fight.
I wouldn't argue with that at all, I just think it's a shame the fight comes with an asterisk. I was more impressed with Khan's performance against Kotelnik but I thought he looked very ungainly when covering up, very novice like. The rest was good though and I hope he doesn't drop the belt because I think Salita and Maidana can provide good tests that will chart his progress well.

Call me a cynic but I have the feeling Khan's just being positioned for one super fight though. To cash in before he's, inevitably, sparked again.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #74
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

You might well be right Dan....the kids on a bit of a tightrope with that chin isn't he?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #75
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think the fight they would love is Hatton. If Hatton has really slipped then Khan could win it and if not at least it would be a bumper payday. Can't see it happening though, Hatton seems more interested in promoting these days and wouldn't work with ****** again.
"TKO" is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum