Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Interesting things at 160 pounds.

WBC, WBO : Titles probably vacated next year, no matter who wins Taylor/Pavlik. Very interesting to see who fight for the open trinkets. In any case, this fight decides which one of them leaves 160 as THE champ.

WBA : Sturm a paper champ, faces mandatory Griffin next month. Most likely chased by Sylvester, who can´t challenge Abraham.

IBF : Abraham looks real strong, almost killed Gevor and will fight in U.S soon. Would deserve a unification shot, too bad that Taylor/Pavlik will escape him to 168. Then again, maybe even Abraham could go there, he looks a bit biased due to his muscle, then we would be next year completely without a strong proven champ at 160.

EBU : Sylvester´s mandatory is Castillejo, who should retire, Asikainen would become mandatory. Asikainen - Sylvester III would be a WAR. Though I think Sylvester won´t have the guts, he´ll rather throw his belt to Asikainen and seek WBC/WBO title shot. At IBF he could be the next mandatory but Abraham would kill him and everyone knows this. Sturm he might beat but so could all other guys in this post.

BUBBLING UNDER :
John Duddy - Great KO-artist but overrated and untested. Would do well to prove himself by fighting Sylvester or Asikainen now. Me thinks would lose to either one. Probably seeks a world title shot and big payday, which is in his route now.
Kassim Ouma - Despite of some losses, Ouma has fought top competition and is one of the top guys to inherit Taylor´s titles. Staying at 160, I´m predicting a belt for him.
Sergio Mora - Untested fluke. Will be a decoration among rankings as long as doesn´t appear in a top fight.
Winky Wright - Show-bisnes. Seeks big names, not titles. Therefore not really in this whole scene anymore.
Khoren Gevor - Destroyed.
Giovanni Lorenzo - Question-mark. Is he even a middle? In any case, no great wins.
Mariano Carrera - Tough but one-dimensional. Has collected a pair of wins after being stripped of a WBA belt last winter. Should cause problems to any ranked fighter now.

So I´m predicting that Sturm will defend his belt against B-class boys until he loses to one of them. Abraham might move to 168, if not, he does the same. Taylor will win Pavlik by SD and they rematch at 168. Ouma, Sylvester, Carrera, Asikainen and Duddy will contend for the free belts. Gevor, Lorenzo and Mora will be defeated/moved to 168/retired.
VHB is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
man_on_the_spot
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 892
Default Re: Interesting things at 160 pounds.

my friend you greatly underrate Felix Sturm. Just because someone doesn't have KO-Power doesn't mean, that he can't be an A-fighter. His speed and supperb technique makes more than up for his lacking power. He probably beats the version of Abraham who fought against Gevor.

Last edited by at1; 06-19-2006 at 10:03 PM.
man_on_the_spot is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852
Default Re: Interesting things at 160 pounds.

Don't forget about Jose Zertuche. He could step in there and gain some recognition as he is one tough dude. Fulgencio Zuniga could get down in there as well. Andy Lee is coming, and I think with some improvement Ronald Hearns could get all up in the mix. Vernon Forrest is at 154 but with Taylor gone he may move up in there as well.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum