boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Does anyone think that Earnie Terrell was unimpressive?

I've viewed some old footage of Earnie Terell on youtube and even saw a few of his fights in their entirety on ESPN classic, and frankly I think that he was a rather unimpressive fighter to watch. Against Muhammad Ali, he looked like a statue at times, with little or no movement from top or bottom. He also seemed to lack in power. I know that he was a decent fighter who managed to pick up some good wins and even won a vacant world championship, but I found his fights painfully boring to sit through.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Does anyone think that Earnie Terrell was unimpressive?

I remember watching a few of his fights back in the 60's.

At 6'-6" he towered above what would be called "small" heavyweights today.

He had little power and was one of the early students of the John Ruiz School of grab & hold.

Yep, he was boring.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

He's comparable to Jermain Taylor.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
You´re as obsessed with Taylor as you are with Calzaghe.
Taylor is a joke, as was Terrell. Terrell recieved about as many gift decisions on top of it. The only difference is that Terrell was also KOed multiple times, which is coming up for Taylor if he stays in the game with his vile presence.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Taylor is a joke, as was Terrell. Terrell recieved about as many gift decisions on top of it. The only difference is that Terrell was also KOed multiple times, which is coming up for Taylor if he stays in the game with his vile presence.
Which gift decisions did Terrell receive? I am not aware of any, but Terell was a victim of bad judging once. Somehow Wepner got the ref's decision in his fight with Terell. It is said that Wepner maybe won 2-3 rounds at best.

Terell was a bit of a safety first type of operator. He used his height, reach, and jab to beat some decent / smaller opposition in Chavalo, Machen, Folley, and Foster.

Terrell wasn't fast or strong. He was a spolier type that could clinch like an octopus if he wanted to and pile up points on the outside. It seems like Terell's height, range, and solid set of skills were too much for most skilled 190-210 pound fighters to over come.

Last edited by Mendoza; 09-14-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Which gift decisions did Terrell receive? I am not aware of any, but Terell was a victim of bad judging once. Somehow Wepner got the ref's decision in his fight with Terell. It is said that Wepner maybe won 2-3 rounds at best.

Terell was a bit of a safety first type of operator. He used his height, reach, and jab to beat some decent / smaller opposition in Chavalo, Machen, Folley, and Foster.

Terrell wasn't fast or strong. He was a spolier type that could clinch like an octopus if he wanted to and pile up points on the outside. It seems like Terell's height, range, and solid set of skills were too much for most skilled 190-210 pound fighters to over come.
Terrell was an okay fighter, but he was definately not what I would call talented, and nor was he fun to watch. He had the luxery of being a very tall fighter during a time when most men weren't, and he emerged in a rather dormant period in the sport. He also lost fights or looked unimpressive against boxers whom a lot of decent fighters would have ordinarily destroyed. Terell had some decent wins, but none that were great, and if in his prime during the 70's, Terell's career would have been even less of a footnote than it already was.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Terrell was tkod by huge punching Cleveland Williams and by Jeff Merrit,when he was washed up,that isnt multiple times.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #8
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I've viewed some old footage of Earnie Terell on youtube and even saw a few of his fights in their entirety on ESPN classic, and frankly I think that he was a rather unimpressive fighter to watch. Against Muhammad Ali, he looked like a statue at times, with little or no movement from top or bottom. He also seemed to lack in power. I know that he was a decent fighter who managed to pick up some good wins and even won a vacant world championship, but I found his fights painfully boring to sit through.
Terrell was a boring safety first fighter who relied on his good jab and clinching,he took a good shot ,was only stopper twice ,and had wins over many rated men despite what other posters have said about his height advantage [6 6],he didnt use it ,Terrell didnt "fight tall",he fought leaning forward ,behind a high guard,people look at his height and make assumptions ,they should study his fights,boxers who fight tall ,for example Lennox Lewis,obviously use their height to their advantage,Terrell did not.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:

In contrast to Calzaghe, who fought in his 21 title defenses perhaps 2 good fighters, the "joke" Taylor fought within 2 years fighters like Hopkins, Spinks, Ouma, Winky Wright and now he will fight the unbeaten Pavlik. For me, it seems to be that you´re the joke...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Terrell was nothing special, he only managed to win some big fights because of his enormous size (of his time).
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
In contrast to Calzaghe, who fought in his 21 title defenses perhaps 2 good fighters, the "joke" Taylor fought within 2 years fighters like Hopkins, Spinks, Ouma, Winky Wright and now he will fight the unbeaten Pavlik. For me, it seems to be that you´re the joke...

I didn't really think people respected the win over Ouma. I though Amsterdam was going over the top, needlessly critising him with an entire thread. It turns out I was wrong.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Terrell was nothing special, he only managed to win some big fights because of his enormous size (of his time).
Luigi Terrell was tall at 6 6 but he didnt have enormous size evn for the time,when he fought Ali he was only 1/4 pound the heavier man at 212 3/4 he was rather slender actually.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
Hawkeye

Terrell weighed in below 200 pounds as late as 1965. He was a tall, skinny fighter.
Hawkeye is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #14
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Terrell was a solid honest fighter. who showed a lot of heart in the Ali fight. With a bit more power he could of been a lot more dangerous, and then would of perhaps won the WBA Heavyweight tournament in 67 IMO.
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum