Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Does Holyfield have a decent (or better) chance against Ibragimov?
Yes he does 55 68.75%
No, he's lost too much 25 31.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Realistically, how many of you give Holyfield a decent chance vs Ibragimov?

I'm curious to hear now who gives Holyfield a decent (or better) chance to beat Ibragimov. Because usually it's the people who say "sure he'll beat the overrated Ibragimov" before the fight, to "well Holyfield was 46 and shot, he had no chance" after the fight, in the case that he loses. So be honest.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Realistically, how many of you give Holyfield a decent chance vs Ibragimov?

I might take cave and throw $500 down on him....still thinking.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
Raggamuffin
You dipstick
ESB Full Member

vCash: 766
Default Re: Realistically, how many of you give Holyfield a decent chance vs Ibragimov?

I agree with the last poster
He has his shot bacause the competition isn't that good
Raggamuffin is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
tragicliston
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sultan is no great shakes but I don't see Holyfield beating him. That said, of the four current beltholders he's the only one I'd give Holy any chance of beating.
tragicliston is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Holyfield has a very realistic chance of beating him. If Holy shows up in the same condition, and as sharp as he was against Savarese he will win.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
john b
EVERTON 0- OLdham 1
ESB Addict

vCash: 871

Like many people have said if the division was at its brilliant best or at least competitive then holyfield wouldn't have a chance.
john b is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Ibragimov is such a questionable factor to me, he boxed the intelligent way against Briggs but without really impressing me. And the shaky performance against Austin (and Friday) remains a worry.

So even though I think Holyfield is greatly faded, I would have to give him a chance even if I couldn't say a decent one (as in, 50-50).

Ibragimov being a mobile southpaw is the biggest detriment to Holyfield. His closest fight of his comeback was against Oquendo, and Ibragimov is neither orthadox or as negative as Oquendo.

I give Holy about a 30-70 chance. I guess that's not enough to say 'decent', so I'll have to vote "no".
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
buddynabuick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I'm curious to hear now who gives Holyfield a decent (or better) chance to beat Ibragimov. Because usually it's the people who say "sure he'll beat the overrated Ibragimov" before the fight, to "well Holyfield was 46 and shot, he had no chance" after the fight, in the case that he loses. So be honest.

NO CHANCE bUT I DO HOPE HE PULLS IT OFF
buddynabuick is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
Danny
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31
Holyfield has a very realistic chance of beating him. If Holy shows up in the same condition, and as sharp as he was against Savarese he will win.

I agree, although I do feel Ibragimov will show more resilience than Saverese. No disrespect to Savarese intended.

For a man who is nearly middle-aged, Holyfield must be given credit for always being in shape. A lot of younger fighters could learn a thing from Evander.
Danny is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
VIP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 345

I don't know. Haven't seen Imragimov and Holyfield recent fights. But it will be cool and funny if he could pull it off.
VIP is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Holyfield has a decent chance, though I still favor Iggy. In a nutshell:

(a) Ibragamov's stamina sucks. It didn't come into play against Briggs, the human lawn statue, or Goofi, who's also fairly stationary, but you could see it in spades against Austin and Ahunanya. With all the moving, grabbing and butting Evander will be doing, I expect Sultan to get worn out in the later rounds, and the better conditioned Holyfield to win some rounds.

(b) Sultan has an average chin, at best, while Holyfield's is usually rock solid. After the years of battering, Holyfield's power is a shell of what it once was, but if Holyfield can work the body enough to open up Sultan's defense, he might have a chance at a knockdown or two.

(c) When Sultan does well, it tends to be because he can keep his foot on the outside from the southpaw stance against fighters who don't have much footwork. Holyfield is experienced enough and wily enough that he might be able to take away this advantage, and that he might be able to time Sultan with a left hook or uppercut when Sultan tries to step to the outside.

In my mind, Sultan's a top 15 HW while Holyfield's a top 25 HW. There's not a huge difference there. There are a lot of second-tier guys I'd pick to beat Sultan. Evander is in the third tier at this point in his career, but he's still close enough to Sultan in terms of ability that he could win enough rounds, even if the factors above don't come into play. Of course, there's also the chance that father time has caught up to Evander enough that he's not able to show any more than he did against Savarese, in which case Evander is probably in trouble.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sure ,Commander Vander has a great chance against this slow, soft, mediocre Russian.Even a shell of a once really good fighter can wreck this cream puff.Holyfield is sure lucky that the heavyweight division is as barren as the Gobi desert.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
Grabonator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Hoyfield has beaten guys much bigger and better than Ibragimov. Even though hes past his prime hes still goo enough to be the slight favorite against Ibragimov IMO.
Grabonator is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
standing 8
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin
I voted he has a chance but only beacause I know nothing about the other guy . Holyfeild will probably get his ass kicked though He's been done for a long while !

I don't think that Holyfield will get his ass handed to him, if he losses this one it will be on points.
standing 8 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

After what I saw in Ibragimov-Austin I would not be the least bit surprised if Holyfield pulled the upset.
Ambition_Def is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum