Old 09-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #31
Jersey Joe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 975
Default Re: Best white boxers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Race exists whether it's genetics or not, because society categorizes people based on skin color and so on, and they were doing that long before they even knew what genetics was.

Asking who is the greatest white fighter is an instance of racial thinking that reflects the standard sort of run-of-the-mill racism. That's my point. I think threads like this are terrible.

It's okay to ask who is the greatest Japanese fighter, but it is racist to ask who is the greatest Asian fighter.

So I agree with you and Janitor about race, but don't think that changes the character of this thread.
It's no more racist than saying who is the best ginger-haired fighter. Objectively it is pretty silly to categories fighters on the basis of the colour of their skin, or any other random physical appearance, but that's just an offshoot of every society in the world acting in that way. Like it or not, most people do categorise others on objectively irrelevant factors e.g. where you happened to be born, what colour skin you have, what language you speak. With boxing, at least in the older era, it was actually relevant because the US would not allow black or mixed-race fighters to compete on a level playing field.
Jersey Joe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #32
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabby Gut
De La Hoya has a lot of spanish blood. His mother was very light skinned. Oscar seems to have taken after her more than his dad. His dad has the more aztec look - darker skin. The Spanish, Basque, Irish, Scotch, Welsh are related. They are celtic people. Of course the Moors were in Spain centuries ago which is why you see a lot of more swarthy Spanish with black hair and olive skin. Also, the black Irish (Irish people with dark hair) could have roots from Spain as thousands of sailors from the Spanish armada stayed and hid in Ireland from the British. I don't consider Italians to be latino as Dudenum pointed out. I am 1/2 Italian myself and I always thought of Italians as white europeans. Not that there is anything wrong with being latino of course.

The original Latin tribe comes from Italy (Rome) and the Romans conquered England and were there for 500 years, they also conquered most of the civilized world from northern Africa to the Rhine river of Germany up into the Ukrain, the Greeks and Egyptians were also present in parts of Italy (Sicily) as were the Swabs( German/French) and the Longobards (Germans) the Africans Cartha and Hanibal were from Greek origin and despite his last name Barca he was blond hair and blue eyed African of Greek origin, Spain is white but there dark hair is from the Arab (Northern african) Moors. Europe is a melting pot but the first Latins were from Rome and the English language has a lot of Latin words and roots, ofcource the Spanish traveled to Mexico, Puerto Rico. South America and mixed with the Indians, gave them there religion and language but in Europe it started in Italy
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #33
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Steve Zouski is the best white HW ever? What about Dave Jaco? Brian Yates? Brian 'Mister' Sargent? Tony LaRosa? Tom Trimm? Bobby Hitz? Or the former chippendales dancer and boxer Jack Basting? Basting fought Andrew Golota in atlantic city in the summer of 1998. Bobby Quarry and Frank Lux deserve mention. How about Ken Lakusta who staggered Big George Foreman for a second in the first round in 1990? Imagine we could have all had Ken Lakusta grills if he had knocked Big George out.
Ken Lakusta is definately a worthy mention. He fought as a kickboxer as well. What's more, he retired with a higher ratio of losses than wins, but hey, the gou fought some of the best in the world right?
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #34
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You are absolutely right.
No offense Flabby, ( not trying to insult you here just curious ), but why do you have an avator of a male wrestler's ass in spandex?
Old 09-15-2007, 09:54 PM   #35
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
No offense Flabby, ( not trying to insult you here just curious ), but why do you have an avator of a male wrestler's ass in spandex?
I think the one underneath is a bit c0ckeyed personally.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #36
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I think the one underneath is a bit c0ckeyed personally.
It is a bit repulsive.

Off to the lounge with it.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #37
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe
It's no more racist than saying who is the best ginger-haired fighter. Objectively it is pretty silly to categories fighters on the basis of the colour of their skin, or any other random physical appearance, but that's just an offshoot of every society in the world acting in that way. Like it or not, most people do categorise others on objectively irrelevant factors e.g. where you happened to be born, what colour skin you have, what language you speak. With boxing, at least in the older era, it was actually relevant because the US would not allow black or mixed-race fighters to compete on a level playing field.
If what you say is true then we would see lists like this:

"Best brown-haired boxers?"

"Best boxers with 2,000 or more freckles?"

"Best boxers who have undergone an appendectomy?"

And so forth.

But we don't.

Since we never see such threads, but see instead see threads asking about "best white boxers" your argument is lost.

Sorry.
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #38
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
It is a bit repulsive.

Off to the lounge with it.
Soon be gone hey, but then again, thooooose guys...

Old 09-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #39
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Soon be gone hey, but then again, thooooose guys...

Given the homophobic views of many of the lounge participants, I'm sure that avator will be right at home.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #40
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Given the homophobic views of many of the lounge participants, I'm sure that avator will be right at home.
Nasty nasty hahaha

Old 09-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #41
Irländsk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Surprised I haven't seen Jerry Quarry mentioned. IMO one of the best heavyweights of the last 40years. Wlad Klitschko, Maccarinelli, Joe Calzaghe, Kessler, Hatton, Povetkin, there are actually too many to list who are currently active. Best ginger boxer is Stevie Collins.
Irländsk is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #42
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Ross was THE greatness of all time.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #43
buzzsaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Al White (20-7)
Billy “The Kid” White (14-5)
Charley White (118-3
Dick White (39-11)
Eddie White (50-3
Jeff White (26-9)
Jermaine “Too Sweet” White (15-3)
Mickey White (50-14)
Ray “Windmill” White (41-14)
Slugger White (40-12)
Tommy White (65-24)
Tommy “Board of Trade Pet” White (32-
Vincent “Boojay” White (13-4)
buzzsaw is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #44
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:

Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #45
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Joe Louis is black because in America any black ancestry makes you black. I think Joe was lighter because his mother or some close relative was Cherokee. You point about how silly racial categories are is appreciated. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe
Latino means Latin, the language of the ROmans i.e. Italians.

Same with "hispanic" - from Spain.

I don't know too many people who think Spanish & Italian people are not white.

Anyway, this just goes to show how silly the whole racial categories are. Joe Louis had fairly light skin and yet he's called "black". That tells me either everyone in America suffers from colour-blindness, or that people are more obsessed with totally artificial categories than how someone actually looks.
Street Lethal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum