Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Napoles vs Gavilan

I usually scroll past fantasy matchup threads, but awhile back before the latest crash, this one came up, and I remember thinking at the time it was perhaps the most intriguing one I had yet seen. Kudos to whomever came up with this first, but I wanted to bump the idea.

I don;t even remember who I picked the first time, but I was watching Napoles dissect and take out Ernie Lopez in their rematch again yesterday, and decided I would pick Gavilan.

One thing I've noticed about Napoles is that like most patient, intelligent boxers, he was at his best when allowed a bit of distance and his opponent stood in front of him or tried to box him. He was just too slick, too schooled to lose a fight like that. Like a starfish catching a shellfish, he'd exert an unspectacular but steady pressure, gradually picking at a weakness (as in Ernie Lopez's case, a propensity to be hit in the head with left hooks). He wouldn't show all his cards at once, preferring to let his opponent be his own worst enemy, exploiting little things as the fight progressed, until at last, POP! The shellfish is open, and dinner is served.

Gavilan was a different kettle of fish, though. He wouldn't stand right in front of you for long, taking Walcottesque strolls around you if you let him in order to attack from strange angles, and once set to throw, would unleash fast, awkward overhand and underhand shots from the strangest places. I believe this would badly throw off Napoles. Napoles was the true diefinition of a "rhythm fighter" and Gavilan would play all kinds of hell with this.

Couple this with Gavilan's savvy way of flurrying in the last half minute of a round, and you have a very interesting job as a judge. I see Gavilan winning the majority of the early rounds by virtue of his unpredictable nature and staving off a desperate, uncharacteristically wild rally from Napoles in the late rounds to win a close verdict.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Napoles vs Gavilan

This would be a great fight I think Napoles would win a SD I just believe his style was more judge friendly and feel he would probably get a better start. Either way it would be close a great fight between two of the greatest Cuban boxers. I could see them splitting a series.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Napoles vs Gavilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
I usually scroll past fantasy matchup threads, but awhile back before the latest crash, this one came up, and I remember thinking at the time it was perhaps the most intriguing one I had yet seen. Kudos to whomever came up with this first, but I wanted to bump the idea.

I don;t even remember who I picked the first time, but I was watching Napoles dissect and take out Ernie Lopez in their rematch again yesterday, and decided I would pick Gavilan.

One thing I've noticed about Napoles is that like most patient, intelligent boxers, he was at his best when allowed a bit of distance and his opponent stood in front of him or tried to box him. He was just too slick, too schooled to lose a fight like that. Like a starfish catching a shellfish, he'd exert an unspectacular but steady pressure, gradually picking at a weakness (as in Ernie Lopez's case, a propensity to be hit in the head with left hooks). He wouldn't show all his cards at once, preferring to let his opponent be his own worst enemy, exploiting little things as the fight progressed, until at last, POP! The shellfish is open, and dinner is served.

Gavilan was a different kettle of fish, though. He wouldn't stand right in front of you for long, taking Walcottesque strolls around you if you let him in order to attack from strange angles, and once set to throw, would unleash fast, awkward overhand and underhand shots from the strangest places. I believe this would badly throw off Napoles. Napoles was the true diefinition of a "rhythm fighter" and Gavilan would play all kinds of hell with this.

Couple this with Gavilan's savvy way of flurrying in the last half minute of a round, and you have a very interesting job as a judge. I see Gavilan winning the majority of the early rounds by virtue of his unpredictable nature and staving off a desperate, uncharacteristically wild rally from Napoles in the late rounds to win a close verdict.
Ive never been able to make my mind up about this one,Gavilans style seems to cancel out Napoles smooth skills,the edge in power goes to Napoles ,both had good chins ,think,Ill wait and see what slants other posters put on this matchup.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum