Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

I bought the Boxing News today and was reading the feature on him.

It's about how he was somewhat of an unknown in Italy when he went to Rome to challenge Nino Benvenuti for the middleweight championship of the world. It of course touches on his being a 'wildman'.

An excerpt from the article entitled 'The Masked Man Cometh';

''Benvenuti, who visited him in prison in Argentina, says 'He was someone, who until the end of his days, stays himself- from when he was born until when he died. He never changed. He always lived close to the limits of both acceptable behaviour and the law. He was a wildman who had to be accepted by others rather than him adapting.'

One of Sricchia's memories rather confirms this. 'I saw Monzon in his hotel one time. He was throwing oranges- with real intent- from one of the windows at passers by'''.







I really think that if one film could be made about a historical boxer, provided it could be pulled off expertly in every aspect (and this would be difficult), i'd pick him.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,865
vCash: 75
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Yeah but who would play him? How tall is Gael Garcia Bernal? Don't think he's 6'nothing. Shame coz with a bit of bulk he could pull it off.

I also like the bit in that feature where they say he was spitting on the ground at the weigh in. The way he destroys Nino in that fight....that final right hand is devastating.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Yeah but who would play him? How tall is Gael Garcia Bernal? Don't think he's 6'nothing. Shame coz with a bit of bulk he could pull it off.

I also like the bit in that feature where they say he was spitting on the ground at the weigh in. The way he destroys Nino in that fight....that final right hand is devastating.
Oh so you read it as well Flea. Great read but very short. Yeah like i said, i wouldn't want the film to be made unless it was done to perfection. I reckon someone with an acting style similar to a young Eastwood would be great (obviously he'd have to look different), you need someone who can play coldness to a tee.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,865
vCash: 75
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Oh so you read it as well Flea. Great read but very short. Yeah like i said, i wouldn't want the film to be made unless it was done to perfection. I reckon someone with an acting style similar to a young Eastwood would be great (obviously he'd have to look different), you need someone who can play coldness to a tee.
The obvious choice is Javier Bardem ten years ago
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
The obvious choice is Javier Bardem ten years ago
Any pics Flea?
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
I bought the Boxing News today and was reading the feature on him.

It's about how he was somewhat of an unknown in Italy when he went to Rome to challenge Nino Benvenuti for the middleweight championship of the world. It of course touches on his being a 'wildman'.

An excerpt from the article entitled 'The Masked Man Cometh';

''Benvenuti, who visited him in prison in Argentina, says 'He was someone, who until the end of his days, stays himself- from when he was born until when he died. He never changed. He always lived close to the limits of both acceptable behaviour and the law. He was a wildman who had to be accepted by others rather than him adapting.'

One of Sricchia's memories rather confirms this. 'I saw Monzon in his hotel one time. He was throwing oranges- with real intent- from one of the windows at passers by'''.







I really think that if one film could be made about a historical boxer, provided it could be pulled off expertly in every aspect (and this would be difficult), i'd pick him.
I read it on the bus on the way to the gym and that bit in bold had me laughing out loud madly. People was staring at me

Was a nice article

Ive become fascinated with him aswell, such an interesting character however i much i think the guy is a dick head hes the king of cool
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
I read it on the bus on the way to the gym and that bit in bold had me laughing out loud madly. People was staring at me

Was a nice article

Ive become fascinated with him aswell, such an interesting character however i much i think the guy is a dick head hes the king of cool
Haha, same sort of fascination as myself then GP.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Haha, same sort of fascination as myself then GP.
yeh i realy like his style aswell and his coolness.

Hes one scary guy though. from that article a guy mentions about him having the American Indian mask of a face that really summed up his characterless face.

You ever saw that film Haloween and the guy Myers wears that mask which is kinda facless and generic, well thats what Monzons face was like. expressionless
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,865
vCash: 75
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Pater; Comparing Monzon to Myers; perfect

Teeto, can't figure out posting pics on here, he was in 'No County For Old Men'. His character in that seemed Monzon-esque
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Pater; Comparing Monzon to Myers; perfect
the worst 2 guys to meet in an empty house IMO

theres somethig about Monzon hes seriously freaky
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Pater; Comparing Monzon to Myers; perfect

Teeto, can't figure out posting pics on here, he was in 'No County For Old Men'. His character in that seemed Monzon-esque
Okay i'll check that out.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
the worst 2 guys to meet in an empty house IMO

theres somethig about Monzon hes seriously freaky
He is, but like you say, it's in a cool way. He looked dashing but scary at the same time.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
He is, but like you say, it's in a cool way. He looked dashing but scary at the same time.
Yeh he was the King of Cool, no doubt about it but he was one chilling guy wasnt he, even thrugh the TV hes shit your pants scary
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Yeh he was the King of Cool, no doubt about it but he was one chilling guy wasnt he, even thrugh the TV hes shit your pants scary
The film is a must isn't it?

We need a campaign!
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
The film is a must isn't it?

We need a campaign!
yeh would be good

just be hard to pull it off but if someone did it WOW
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013