Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm becoming fascinated with Carlos Monzon

To be that "wild man" outside the ring and to be so expressionless and reptilian in the ring is what fascinates me about Carlos Monzon...I watched his fights..his defenses on tv in the 70's and the guy never let me down...made me look like an expert by my confident prediction of victory after victory. I was shocked when Valdez put him down in the 2nd, but I honestly was not shocked at how he came back to win the fight...a comeback of ring-character as complete and impressive as any of Ali's or any other great who had to stare down then overcome adversity. There was something that impressed me more about Monzon's impassive demeanor, control and cold style than Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Ali, ..all of the more warm and human traits and displays of em otion or savagery that other fighter's displayed, and damn it...Monzon didn't lose..didn't get humbled as champion and have his crown snatched from him..he went the route only that very small select elite did...Marciano, Tunney and precious few others, as if to say "you're not taking a damned thing away from me"..and of course the most impressive thing about doing that is not ever coming back..staying retired, ..knowing when to quit, with the image of you as a winner to be what you choose for others to remember. Hell yes, Monzon impressed me and never let me down, that's why he's my favorite fighter, despite being a monster outside the ring.
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
To be that "wild man" outside the ring and to be so expressionless and reptilian in the ring is what fascinates me about Carlos Monzon...I watched his fights..his defenses on tv in the 70's and the guy never let me down...made me look like an expert by my confident prediction of victory after victory. I was shocked when Valdez put him down in the 2nd, but I honestly was not shocked at how he came back to win the fight...a comeback of ring-character as complete and impressive as any of Ali's or any other great who had to stare down then overcome adversity. There was something that impressed me more about Monzon's impassive demeanor, control and cold style than Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Ali, ..all of the more warm and human traits and displays of em otion or savagery that other fighter's displayed, and damn it...Monzon didn't lose..didn't get humbled as champion and have his crown snatched from him..he went the route only that very small select elite did...Marciano, Tunney and precious few others, as if to say "you're not taking a damned thing away from me"..and of course the most impressive thing about doing that is not ever coming back..staying retired, ..knowing when to quit, with the image of you as a winner to be what you choose for others to remember. Hell yes, Monzon impressed me and never let me down, that's why he's my favorite fighter, despite being a monster outside the ring.
Thanks for that, really good post. I was just about to ask the forum if anyone who remembers his prime would like to add anything on such a note.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Someone has GOT to write a damned biography at least on Monzon, and frankly, I'm both puzzled and amazed that no Latin, ...Argentine, or from any damned Latin country hasn't done it already...usually a book is written before a film is made, it just has always seemed that way anyway, it has always aggravated the shit out of me that SOMEONE Latin, or no, hasn't attempted a biography, and if someone informs us that they have already, then the publishing house AND the author need to be lectured about the importance of letting people know about the damned thing, and not keep it a secret.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #19
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Someone has GOT to write a damned biography at least on Monzon, and frankly, I'm both puzzled and amazed that no Latin, ...Argentine, or from any damned Latin country hasn't done it already...usually a book is written before a film is made, it just has always seemed that way anyway, it has always aggravated the shit out of me that SOMEONE Latin, or no, hasn't attempted a biography, and if someone informs us that they have already, then the publishing house AND the author need to be lectured about the importance of letting people know about the damned thing, and not keep it a secret.
Maybe the thoughts been entertained, or attempted, but been held up in different ways. Maybe the family of the women he murdered threatened legal action?

That's stopped other books from being published.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Monzon wasn't always the flashy, spectacular, theatrical, emotional star that so many other greats have been...no colorful quotes, or jive antics with the press..he was, quite frankly, as he is criticised, arrogant, cold and aloof. His fights were won with such little emotion and flash, so matter of fact, that maybe it didn't grab Joe-sixpack, cause he couldn't put a handle on what he had just seen or appreciate the subtlety of it....cold, efficient, no flash subtlety..like as I described in the first post, kind of reptilian. My broither in law and me watched him chop down Emile Griffith the first time, and when the 14th round tko came, by bro in law asked "what took him so long?" Hell, it wasn't up to me to explain cold patience and calculation in execution to him, he wouldn't have understood anyway. There's also something I wish I could dig up somewhere out there in the big wide world of the internet, and it would be a video, of a fight, and I'm almost sure that it was Duran-Moore, of a big gathering of modern day (70's and 80's) Latin boxing champs and ex-champs at ringside for this fight..it was shown on either Wide World of Sports or one of the other free channels, and it was taped, the fight wasn't live, but they panned to all the champs and former champs in the crowd, Arguello, Benitez, Ortiz, Escalera, and then Monzon, which surprised me for some reason... all either were animated in conversation, or smiling at the camera, except for Monzon, who was expressionless and shot the cold, guarded gaze of a killer at the camera. Monzon contrasted with every other personality there at ringside. I'll never forget that, and I wish I coulkd be 100% sure what event it was, and if there exists a video of it.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Monzon wasn't always the flashy, spectacular, theatrical, emotional star that so many other greats have been...no colorful quotes, or jive antics with the press..he was, quite frankly, as he is criticised, arrogant, cold and aloof. His fights were won with such little emotion and flash, so matter of fact, that maybe it didn't grab Joe-sixpack, cause he couldn't put a handle on what he had just seen or appreciate the subtlety of it....cold, efficient, no flash subtlety..like as I described in the first post, kind of reptilian. My broither in law and me watched him chop down Emile Griffith the first time, and when the 14th round tko came, by bro in law asked "what took him so long?" Hell, it wasn't up to me to explain cold patience and calculation in execution to him, he wouldn't have understood anyway. There's also something I wish I could dig up somewhere out there in the big wide world of the internet, and it would be a video, of a fight, and I'm almost sure that it was Duran-Moore, of a big gathering of modern day (70's and 80's) Latin boxing champs and ex-champs at ringside for this fight..it was shown on either Wide World of Sports or one of the other free channels, and it was taped, the fight wasn't live, but they panned to all the champs and former champs in the crowd, Arguello, Benitez, Ortiz, Escalera, and then Monzon, which surprised me for some reason... all either were animated in conversation, or smiling at the camera, except for Monzon, who was expressionless and shot the cold, guarded gaze of a killer at the camera. Monzon contrasted with every other personality there at ringside. I'll never forget that, and I wish I coulkd be 100% sure what event it was, and if there exists a video of it.
I'm gutted i have to go now, the charger for my laptop is playing up and i don't want to aggrevate the pin inside it so i'm going to turn it off, pain in the arse.

But i would be really glad if someone finds this vid you're talking of.

Thanks for the posts RC. Great to see the thoughts of an authentic King Carlos fan.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Thank you Teeto.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #23
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
I read it on the bus on the way to the gym and that bit in bold had me laughing out loud madly. People was staring at me

Was a nice article

Ive become fascinated with him aswell, such an interesting character however i much i think the guy is a dick head hes the king of cool
Exactly..the King Of Cool..there's a picture I saw that someone took of Monzon and Galindez on the town somewhere, maybe Paris, and talk about two rough looking hombres...both in black, and leather I think..Monzon obviously didn't like his picture taken..he looked like a killer in that photo..more so than Galindez.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #24
Caponecartels
Maritime Lawyer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 112

Quote:
There's also something I wish I could dig up somewhere out there in the big wide world of the internet, and it would be a video, of a fight, and I'm almost sure that it was Duran-Moore, of a big gathering of modern day (70's and 80's) Latin boxing champs and ex-champs at ringside for this fight..it was shown on either Wide World of Sports or one of the other free channels, and it was taped, the fight wasn't live, but they panned to all the champs and former champs in the crowd, Arguello, Benitez, Ortiz, Escalera, and then Monzon, which surprised me for some reason... all either were animated in conversation, or smiling at the camera, except for Monzon, who was expressionless and shot the cold, guarded gaze of a killer at the camera. Monzon contrasted with every other personality there at ringside. I'll never forget that, and I wish I coulkd be 100% sure what event it was, and if there exists a video of it.
Damn that sounds chilling, somebody needs to find that vid ASAP.
Caponecartels is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #25
curly
Fastest hands in the West
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 660

The masked man cometh, brilliant article
curly is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #26
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
I bought the Boxing News today and was reading the feature on him.

It's about how he was somewhat of an unknown in Italy when he went to Rome to challenge Nino Benvenuti for the middleweight championship of the world. It of course touches on his being a 'wildman'.

An excerpt from the article entitled 'The Masked Man Cometh';

''Benvenuti, who visited him in prison in Argentina, says 'He was someone, who until the end of his days, stays himself- from when he was born until when he died. He never changed. He always lived close to the limits of both acceptable behaviour and the law. He was a wildman who had to be accepted by others rather than him adapting.'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

One of Sricchia's memories rather confirms this. 'I saw Monzon in his hotel one time. He was throwing oranges- with real intent- from one of the windows at passers by'''.

I really think that if one film could be made about a historical boxer, provided it could be pulled off expertly in every aspect (and this would be difficult), i'd pick him.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Hope I haven't covered any post up.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 09-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #27
Caponecartels
Maritime Lawyer
ESB Senior Member

Could you post the entire article teeto? or can some one point me in the right
direction.... [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #28
Caponecartels
Maritime Lawyer
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caponecartels View Post
Could you post the entire article teeto? or can some one point me in the right
direction.... [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 09-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #29
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Hello everyone, i've jsut got my laptop charging again.

CaponeCartels, i can post the whole thing later if you want, i'm about to watch the final episode of the wire in a minute, so sorry i can't help out right away. The article isn't really long enough for it to be a great one. If you are English, it is in the latest issue of Boxing News, but i think the new one is on the shelves tomorrow actually.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #30
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

He always looked calm and took his time in a relaxed way but had the power at all times but never pressed himself for the stoppage...he was content to box but he had the explosive power...I watched most of his career and to have watched Monzon and Duran as well as some other great fighters there whole careers was a gift indeed
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum