Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Why is Calzaghe's opposition considered trash?

Granted, it's not fantastic opposition, not equaling his ability, but it's superior to Ottke's while dominating all but 1 of them.

In addition, it's about on par with Kostya Tszyu's wins. Tszyu is one of my favourites and is a heralded underrated talent, Tszyu was equally as ducked as Calzaghe was also.

In starting off with Eubank, he also fought Woodhall, Starie, Reid, Sheika and Brewer in relatively close proximity. This is very solid competition at the time considering he could not score a fight with Sven Ottke or Markus Beyer due to those two euro trash protected fighters either avoiding him or their promotional outfit avoiding it, especially Ottke.

Then he took on Veit. Then he took on Mitchell, a former lineal champion who won his title off of Frankie Liles and lost it to Bruno Girard in a close bout. Mitchell was in a controversial fight with the disgraceful Ottke before facing Calzaghe. We know what happens next.

Then he goes through a period of not being able to ink decent bouts and a period of bad injuries, mostly stay busy fights, but one with a fighter who not bad in Mger Mkrtchian, B- level. Rematch with Veit, easy KO victory.

Then we have the Lacy bout, which was superb. Then a tune up vs. Bika and then the Manfredo bout(this was worthless, a Frank ****** style bout) and now he's fighting one of the best around in Mikkel Kessler.

How is this not solid? It's only because the majority are not recognised by Americans so easily. Again, not 'great', but 'respectible'. Agreed?
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Quik
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Why is Calzaghe's opposition considered trash?

He fought good oposition. I was taking it to beat kessler until kessler schooled andrade. Now i consider kessler have fought better oposition than calzaghe.
Quik is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Not trash.....but like Jones before him (and Jones competition was a little better than Calzaghe because he moved up to challenge himself a bit more) his competition doesn't measure up to his talent level, which is immense.

He has beaten alot of European fighters who aren't well known anywhere else, but if you take a closer look, many were very good fighters.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

He's beaten some very good fighters, many of whom people have never heard of or seen. His opposition certainly isn't great, but a fight/and win against Kessler will be a step in the right direction. He has all the talent in the world, now it's time to solidify his legacy and get only the big fights.

I would say that Kostya Tszyu's resume is slightly better as of right now.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughweb
Calzaghe's talent isn't great - he can't even punch properly, that's why he ends up fighting most fights one-handed and stinking the place out. He's a good brawler with a massive heart and won't stop punching (unless his hand hurts), but he's too square-on to get by a good boxer-puncher near their best and has fought more hideously shit opponents than any world champion in history. And somehow got away with fighting once or twice a year, while too scared to leave South Wales even outside of boxing terms!

He's not the kind of guy you can respect, in all honesty.
I take it you're picking Kessler to beat him
Old 09-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Calzaghe's talent isn't great - he can't even punch properly, that's why he ends up fighting most fights one-handed and stinking the place out. He's a good brawler with a massive heart and won't stop punching (unless his hand hurts), but he's too square-on to get by a good boxer-puncher near their best and has fought more hideously shit opponents than any world champion in history. And somehow got away with fighting once or twice a year, while too scared to leave South Wales even outside of boxing terms!

He's not the kind of guy you can respect, in all honesty.
Ah, my Eubank/Benn/Watson nuthugging friend. Thanks for your contribution, even though I didn't ask for an assessment, but a comment on his opposition.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

His best opponent to date was Jeff Lacy...Robin Reid and was average no matter what you UK posters say. All of the European fighters he fought mainly were very extra average fighters and those are the better ones. Eubank was on his way out and gave Calzaghe a run. He is a great fighter but there is no defending his crap resume in which you cant even mention Roy's resume in the same breath as Calzaghe...Roy took on tougher guys in the 90s alone Then Calzaghe did his whole entire career.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
His best opponent to date was Jeff Lacy...Robin Reid and was average no matter what you UK posters say. All of the European fighters he fought mainly were very extra average fighters and those are the better ones. Eubank was on his way out and gave Calzaghe a run. He is a great fighter but there is no defending his crap resume in which you cant even mention Roy's resume in the same breath as Calzaghe...Roy took on toughert guys in the 90s alone Then Calzaghe did his whole entire career.
Roy has a better resume, but I am comparing the way in which they are judged by fans and critics.

Let me give you better example. Judah is considered a top flight win for Cotto. It proved alot to people. For Mayweather, the Judah win is not met with the same reverance. People will cover it up and say that happens because PBF didn't stop Judah and Cotto did. But PBF is not a KO guy, especially at 147 and Cotto is, so that is not a fair assessment. Cotto also beat Judah after a layoff and 2 straight losses, while PBF is criticized for beating him after just one loss. The reason IMO? PBF's talent is greater than Cotto and more is expected of him. He is judged in comparison to his talent level.

Jones is judged this way, because no one who beats that many champions and top rated contenders gets criticized like Jones does. But Jones talent was as such that many feel he should have been taking on super fights every other fight, and perhaps he should have. Calzaghe is not quite as talented IMO, but he is far more talented than his resume and the people on it. So he is criticized even more. I am not a Euro poster, but I can tell you some of those European fighters on his resume that you believe are average were very good fighters.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Seek help.
Well, he surely spanked Chris Eubank like Chris had never been dominated before and did so in a green 21 fight state. Eubank would have never won this stylistic comparison and you seek to boost up Benn-Eubank and Watson and discredit Calzaghe at every turn.

At least you can sleep easy in knowing that Eubank would have never, under any circumstances defeated the SMW monster that is known as Calzaghe. A peak Calzaghe would have massacred a peak Eubank and would have ruined him, just like a green Calzaghe ruined whatever was left of the past prime Chris Eubank, who happened to be in great shape for this event, less muscular and more chiseled like he was in his younger days and his experience could do him no good against a totally inexperienced opponent.

Sleep easy in knowing that Watson and Benn would have been brutally butchered as well against your slap happy welshman.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
**** off, you twat.
And now we resort to childish name calling.

Are you Chris Eubank mate? If so, I am a fan, but I don't like your attitude here.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

It is IMO, unfair. He fought and beat whoever was put in front of him. Only speaking out of speculation here, but one reason this is probably even brought up is the fact he never came to the states to showcase his talents. (Not implying state side fighters are necessarily usually better opponents, but the US is a huge country with a few of the States being larger than some of the Euro countries. Meaning there are a lot of damn good US fighters because we have so many to choose from. We wouldn't get all up on a fighter that only fought in Texas. He would have to travel the states to beat whoever). Look at his to date biggest win, against a known good US fighter. IMO, not coming to the states is why he catches crap of any kind. Hatton came over and gained a lot of fans in the process, catching less crap along the way. All only my opinion of course, and to repeat I do say it's unfair treatment to Calzaghe.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Watson (2nd), Schommer and Collins (2nd) dominated him far more. The Calzaghe fight was close, those weren't.
Close? Watson dominated him more? Watson was comfortably ahead.

What was close about it? 9 rounds to 3 Calzaghe with a KD involved also, that's a domination.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #13
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
Roy has a better resume, but I am comparing the way in which they are judged by fans and critics.

Let me give you better example. Judah is considered a top flight win for Cotto. It proved alot to people. For Mayweather, the Judah win is not met with the same reverance. People will cover it up and say that happens because PBF didn't stop Judah and Cotto did. But PBF is not a KO guy, especially at 147 and Cotto is, so that is not a fair assessment. Cotto also beat Judah after a layoff and 2 straight losses, while PBF is criticized for beating him after just one loss. The reason IMO? PBF's talent is greater than Cotto and more is expected of him. He is judged in comparison to his talent level.

Jones is judged this way, because no one who beats that many champions and top rated contenders gets criticized like Jones does. But Jones talent was as such that many feel he should have been taking on super fights every other fight, and perhaps he should have. Calzaghe is not quite as talented IMO, but he is far more talented than his resume and the people on it. So he is criticized even more. I am not a Euro poster, but I can tell you some of those European fighters on his resume that you believe are average were very good fighters.
Damn KG, that's well put.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #14
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I would say his competition is average to slightly above. The reason he gets trashed so much is, he has been a long reigning champ with a good record, and he was champ during the time when guys like Hopkins, Tarver, Michalzewski, and Toney were in their respective primes, and he never went out to make those fights. He was happy fighting the middle of the road contenders, after they were fairly washed up. Guys like Echols, Brewer, Sheika, just middle of the road, and not fighters to put him on the level with the other guys, and the level he believes hes at with his ****y mouth.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #15
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Calzaghe clearly beat Eubank

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum