Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Muhammad Ali v Jerry Quarry 3

A third fight between these two nearly happened in 1974. Ali flirted with the idea because Quarry was mouthing off about the top guys avoiding him. Ali turned it down because he could have received a minor injury thus postponing the Foreman bout. It would have been pointless. Imo Ali would have beaten him as easily as he did two years previously. Thoughts ?
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
kolcade4
Keep Punchin'
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Muhammad Ali v Jerry Quarry 3

yea, i agree, Ali proved his point the first two fights and that was that he was waayyyy faster than Quarry . I think Quarry was a great boxer but Ali was better, and this was a post exile version of Ali, so what does that say about Quarry . Quarry beat alot of great boxers Patterson, Lyle,Shavers, Mathis, The British champ Jack Bodell. Yet he couldnt beat the upper tier levels such as Frazier ,Norton,Chuvalo and Ali .He was at the summit but just couldnt make it over. Quarry is by far one my favorites of all time though.
kolcade4 is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolcade4 View Post
yea, i agree, Ali proved his point the first two fights and that was that he was waayyyy faster than Quarry . I think Quarry was a great boxer but Ali was better, and this was a post exile version of Ali, so what does that say about Quarry . Quarry beat alot of great boxers Patterson, Lyle,Shavers, Mathis, The British champ Jack Bodell. Yet he couldnt beat the upper tier levels such as Frazier ,Norton,Chuvalo and Ali .He was at the summit but just couldnt make it over. Quarry is by far one my favorites of all time though.
agreed
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
A third fight between these two nearly happened in 1974. Ali flirted with the idea because Quarry was mouthing off about the top guys avoiding him. Ali turned it down because he could have received a minor injury thus postponing the Foreman bout. It would have been pointless. Imo Ali would have beaten him as easily as he did two years previously. Thoughts ?
Agree, Muhammad Ali was in a different class to Quarry & would likely beat him 10/10.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolcade4 View Post
I quite liked him too. It was almost like he was a borderline case between tier 1 and tier 2. He always fought his heart out.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

A third fight was nonsense to make............... Quarry could never beat Ali............... Never.........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Imo Ali would have beaten him as easily as he did two years previously.
If not worse.

Quarry was basically shot by the end of '74, while Ali was still looking about as good as when he beat Quarry the second time.

This fight would've been a joke.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

A lot of the top guys did avoid Quarry but Ali was not one of them and there was a good reason for that.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I just get pissed when people claim Foreman ducked Quarry.... It was to Quarry's benefit that he never fought Foreman............. Foreman was sloppy and unpolished in the 70s, but too big and powerful for the tender skinned and easy to tag Jerry Quarry....... Foreman would've caused severe brain damage before it actually occured in Quarry........ Cheers.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
I just get pissed when people claim Foreman ducked Quarry.... It was to Quarry's benefit that he never fought Foreman............. Foreman was sloppy and unpolished in the 70s, but too big and powerful for the tender skinned and easy to tag Jerry Quarry....... Foreman would've caused severe brain damage before it actually occured in Quarry........
Not only that, but the notion that Foreman intentionally avoided Quarry is simply inaccurate anyway.

The two times the fight was being considered..
1. Quarry got KO'd by Chuvalo, who went on to fight Foreman instead, and
2. Foreman defended against Norton, who was rated over Quarry, after which Quarry was crushed by Frazier who had already been crushed by Foreman; and Ali was the #1 mandatory challenger at that time anyway.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

I was surprised at how easily Ali beat on Quarry the second time. It might be Ali's most impressive fight in the 1970's till Foreman.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
DFW
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Jerry Quarry was completely outclassed by Ali in their second fight. It was even difficult to watch the fight as you knew he just did not have any chance to win and was getting a thorough boxing lesson and a pounding from Ali. A third fight would have produced more of the same and would have damaged Jerry even more. The way his life ended at such a young age is one thing about boxing that I despise.
DFW is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quarry had a chance, IMO, only in that 1st fight, because that was before Jerry fully filled out and matured and was faster and more of a dangerous counter puncher than he would be later, plus Ali was just coming back after the layoff. It was unfortunate that the cut occured in the '70 bout, because, even if he didn't win, he would have been a tough fight for Ali.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali would win, unless he went full -blast on those freaky deaky ways of his, then Quarry had a chance.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Pointless fight. Good thing it never happened. I liked them both a lot.
abraq is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum