boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-15-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default I dont care what anyone says.....James Toney is better and would beat .......

Joe Calzaghe in any category of boxing. He will beat him prime for prime at 168. He would beat him to the HOF. He beats him on skill and boxing ability as JT is one of the best skilled guys of our ERA bar none. JT was elite for over 10+ years. To assume a swarmer like Calzaghe would beat JT ..easily..or not even make it 50/50 is re****ed to say the least. It would be fun to see Calzaghe get cracked with counter right hands all night long and see how he would react with a better boxer in the ring with more skill. Just my view.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
rushman
Devoid is Devoid
ESB Addict

vCash: 9205
Default Re: I dont care what anyone says.....James Toney is better and would beat .......

I aint exactly a JC fan. But it is pretty easy to point out that Toney has several losses over his career, and JC has none.

I mean, Thadzi?
rushman is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 46300
Default Re: I dont care what anyone says.....James Toney is better and would beat .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
He would beat him to the HOF.
What, you mean in a go-kart race?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
KO Boxing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman
I aint exactly a JC fan. But it is pretty easy to point out that Toney has several losses over his career, and JC has none.

I mean, Thadzi?
Toney has also fought the much greater opponents, hence the more losses. If Calzaghe had fought Jones, I'd be almost positive his record would be 4...whatever...-1

Have you seen the Thadzi fight? Pretty damn close, in a period of Toney's career where he wasn't exactly considered elite
KO Boxing is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Joe Calzaghe in any category of boxing. He will beat him prime for prime at 168. He would beat him to the HOF. He beats him on skill and boxing ability as JT is one of the best skilled guys of our ERA bar none. JT was elite for over 10+ years. To assume a swarmer like Calzaghe would beat JT ..easily..or not even make it 50/50 is re****ed to say the least. It would be fun to see Calzaghe get cracked with counter right hands all night long and see how he would react with a better boxer in the ring with more skill. Just my view.
I'd like to agree, but?? Toneys performances were too inconsistent. I vomited when he did what little he did vs RJJ.

Unfortunately?? JT has a serious history of underperforming in BIG EVENTS, JC would be a big event.

Toney had one of the best Defenses in many years but always let conditioning and lack of volume bring him down.

As sick as it makes me to say it?? Calzaghe probably outworks him like RJJ did
C Money is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 12:49 AM   #6
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

50/50 fight in which I would pick Calzaghe to win

Here is my ****ysis from a different thread

Toney-Calzaghe is a very interesting matchup. First off, Toney was such a crafty fighter who knew every trick in the book, could stand in one place and make you miss/pay, and he could throw every punch in the book as well. His straight right hand counter could spell trouble for Calzaghe as that is the punch he is most vulnerable to. And Calzaghe would leave himself open for some great Toney counters. Toney would most certainly not be getting stopped by Calzaghe either.

However, Calzaghe may just have the style to beat Toney at 168. Calzaghe's workrate, hand speed, and footwork would cause Toney problems. Toney is the greater fighter, the better counter puncher, the craftier fighter, has the better chin, the better jab, and was the better defensive fighter, but I believe Calzaghe has all the tools to win a close decision over Toney. I think he would keep Toney off balance with his feints and movements, work his way inside, fire off quick punches, and move right back out of range. Calzaghe would be the one staying busier and throwing more punches. Let's not forget the awkward angles and punches Calzaghe give and throws. Calzaghe is no slouch on the inside either - he's a truly dynamic fighter. Additionally, I also think Calzaghe has the chin and toughness to survive a late Toney onslaught.

Toney was best against slower, come forward guys, but against Calzaghe, I see him having trouble getting set to counter. Toney had an excellent, shot-gun jab, but Joe's a southpaw, so I doubt he would be able to effectively establish it.

Joe Calzaghe by unanimous decision

Last edited by brooklyn1550; 09-15-2007 at 01:23 AM.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman

I mean, Thadzi?

yeah......I guess JT fighting in 5 divisions against championship caliber opponents in all of them and he was robbed the first Peter fight..lol..anyway...Calzaghe who???? wins against mandatories.. I dont think you need to be on a boxing site......
Old 09-15-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

NAHHHHH...Calzaghe has nothing on JT...at 168 or anywhere.. You cannot compare how he looked in with Roy to calzaghe..calzaghe is nothing like roy in any aspect of fighting..not even close.....IN ANYTHING.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

You never know, even though I do favor JT as well.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
NAHHHHH...Calzaghe has nothing on JT...at 168 or anywhere.. You cannot compare how he looked in with Roy to calzaghe..calzaghe is nothing like roy in any aspect of fighting..not even close.....IN ANYTHING.
JC is a very good SMW and has fast hands and high volume.

A lethargic JT and.....It's an L!!

It gives me no pleasure to say that, as I said JT's defense and ability is incredible, yet he fell short and underperformed too often.
C Money is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #11
jackiebrown
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

JT is good in there with big sluggers.. and people who press the fight with big shots .. you get a guy in there with fast hands and in and out tricky movements ..
toney has trouble getting set ....

i dont see toney out working any one with tons of speed and **** ..
jackiebrown is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

James Toney is the better boxer in my opinion, at least he fought the best in all 5 divisions. Anybody good that Calazaghe fought were either out of there prime or never really had one. If Toney fought Calazaghe the night he fought Barkley, he would of took JTs head off.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #13
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I mean JC would get knocked out.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #14
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by box03
James Toney is the better boxer in my opinion, at least he fought the best in all 5 divisions. Anybody good that Calazaghe fought were either out of there prime or never really had one. If Toney fought Calazaghe the night he fought Barkley, he would of took JTs head off.
Ok... I'll buy the night of Barkley, but any other night??

IT's Calzaghe.

I've got mad respect for Toney, I've wished many times that he could be more consistent.
C Money is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #15
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Calzaghe would not beat Toney....and HOF...Hall of Fame........................................I thought that was simple.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum