Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-15-2007, 12:51 AM   #31
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I dont care what anyone says.....James Toney is better and would beat .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanJew
When the **** has Calzaghe been easy to hit cleanly? He can make himself a horribly hard fighter land against, and he sure as hell knows how to keep himself out of range. Calzaghe knows how to prepare himself. He would know that Toney would be looking to land the counter right hand.
And Toney never had spectacular hand speed at any weight. Not that he was a slow fighter, but he doesnt have to the sheer quickness and agility to trouble Calzaghe enough to land enough solid punches to knock him out. Calzaghe has a pretty good chin. He has been knocked down but he then went on to Kncok the guys out. And the fact that he was able to take Lacys and Bikas best shots tells me Toney isnt going to be able to hurt him too much.
Toney was strong at 168 no doubt but he has never been known as a powerful puncher at any weight. He could catch you at the right time. Thats how he scord knockouts,
Quote:
when a guy was in an awkward position or moving foward and his momentum sent him into the punch
. He has never been a one punch kind of guy. I dont recall any of his opponents talking about how hard he rattled them. It was usually more a "he caught me at a bad spot" or "i was coming in and he slipped in that perfect right hand".
Calzaghe..been ****ing hit more then any other top fighter..he goes in to slugfests with lesser fights then claims he did it to put on a show like a cunt..NO...b/c you had to....he has limitations and dont have shit on Toney on any aspect...His handspeed is null b/c he throws side armed wide punches which would not hit or land clean on toney and toney would catch his ass as he has way better accuracy and timing.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2007, 01:05 AM   #32
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Default Re: I dont care what anyone says.....James Toney is better and would beat .......

I don't think so. Calzaghe's style is hell on wheels for James Toney. James Toney loves those guys that comes in on him, leans on him, and falls into his defensive games. JC would be swinging punches like crazy, hitting Toney everywhere... and would never just lay on him, waiting to be countered. I see JC taking a clear decision prime vs prime at 168.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #33
Decker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky
Like I said in the other thread, Calzaghe outworks, out hustles and out-speeds Toney all night to a UD.
Saw many of JT's fights when he was at lower weights - they were on regular/cable tv. Toney nuthuggers act like he was invincible and rolled over everybody. Calzaghe-Toney would be a very competitive fight. It wouldn't surprise me if Joe scored a UD.
Decker is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:15 AM   #34
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

I've seen some people say Toney schools Marvin Hagler and beats him 9 times out of 10.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:18 AM   #35
RAMPAGE0017
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
You don't even know what you are talking about. Toney shells into his guard/shoulder roll when blitzed with a speed attack and is exceptionally open to awkward angles from that position.

I also recognise fighters from all era's, I have more knowledge than you will ever know.

You are nothing more than a shit starter.

He shells up, but he doesn't stop throwing. Jirov was pressuring him for their entire fight, yet Toney was still actively throwing many shots. Granted Calzaghe is probably harder to connect on than Jirov, but still.. you're simplifying Toney's style just a tad.
RAMPAGE0017 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:28 AM   #36
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
I've seen some people say Toney schools Marvin Hagler and beats him 9 times out of 10.
Toney should be the favourite over Hagler in my opinion, not 9 times out of 10 and not a schooling, but the favourite.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:32 AM   #37
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Toney should be the favourite over Hagler in my opinion, not 9 times out of 10 and not a schooling, but the favourite.
Really? Toney was so inconsistant at 160. He had troubles with Mike McCallum and Dave Tiberi. I wouldn't pick anybody over a prime Hagler at 160. He was one of the most complete fighters ever. He could get the better of Toney on the inside, outwork him, outmuscle him, and use his jab from long range. Hagler was also a great counter puncher in his prime. Overall, just a better fighter than Toney. Hagler was so determined and so mentally strong. I don't envision Toney winning the championship rounds against Marvin Hagler.

I see this as a 116-112 type decision
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:51 AM   #38
maximumsg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

toney definately the better fighter, but at alone who knows joe has not proved enough yet. He has a big test ahead of him so lets wait and see. On the other note if toney could have only stayed in shape, and I'm taliking just not gained over 10 or 20 pounds at most in between fights I don't know if I could have ever bet against him. Just imagine if he had stayed in shape after the holyfield fight, he could have ruled for several years at heavyweight. The man is the greatest natural born fighter I have ever seen.
maximumsg is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 01:59 AM   #39
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

Quote:
Calzaghe is the greatest fighter of all time, when you learn to accept this, you will be mentally set free.

Go on now, it's bed time for the little people.
You are Bigtime9!

Last edited by razor; 06-18-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 02:00 AM   #40
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

Quote:
JT is one of the most over-rated boxers who deserves to be rated. No questioning James Toney is a HOF boxer, no question at all - but cmon, the guy was infinitely beatable against faster punchers with good workrates.
How? Or WHO is this fast puncher w/ high work rate you are basing this on?
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #41
He Hate Me
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
Joe Calzaghe in any category of boxing. He will beat him prime for prime at 168. He would beat him to the HOF. He beats him on skill and boxing ability as JT is one of the best skilled guys of our ERA bar none. JT was elite for over 10+ years. To assume a swarmer like Calzaghe would beat JT ..easily..or not even make it 50/50 is retarded to say the least. It would be fun to see Calzaghe get cracked with counter right hands all night long and see how he would react with a better boxer in the ring with more skill. Just my view.
Primed jt would have an advantage.
He Hate Me is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 02:33 AM   #42
Grabonator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Joe Calzaghe in any category of boxing. He will beat him prime for prime at 168. He would beat him to the HOF. He beats him on skill and boxing ability as JT is one of the best skilled guys of our ERA bar none. JT was elite for over 10+ years. To assume a swarmer like Calzaghe would beat JT ..easily..or not even make it 50/50 is retarded to say the least. It would be fun to see Calzaghe get cracked with counter right hands all night long and see how he would react with a better boxer in the ring with more skill. Just my view.
Well i agree with you. And in shape Toney at 168 can beat anyone. The guy was a master.
Grabonator is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 02:42 AM   #43
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Toney would definitely beat Joe in a do-nut eating competition.

Seriously though, while it would be a very competitive fight and NOT a foregone conclusion, Joe would have to be the favourite prime-for-prime at 168.

( I believe Joe would beat him presently at any weight either man chose to fight)
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #44
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut
You are Bigtime9!
You really know how to insult a guy !
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #45
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, Joe is as fast as Roy Jones JR in combinations - Roy had a way faster trigger on single punches and especially that lead right but in combination shots, Joe possesses similar speed to Roy.
Roy had more power in his shots, definitely - Roy schools Calzaghe. Calzaghe does it pretty easily against Toney.
NOW do you see what we are dealing with..Calzaghe fans act like we dont have youtube..and we cant go back and watch Calzaghe in his all out wars against bums and sub par fighters in which the ref usually jumped in prematurely when the guy was not even close to being knocked out and just was a little hurt by his flurries of side armed punches with ROY JONES SPEED...lol forever on that.
Toopretty is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum