Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-15-2007, 03:19 AM   #46
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I dont care what anyone says.....James Toney is better and would beat .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut
How? Or WHO is this fast puncher w/ high work rate you are basing this on?
Good point...lol Calzaghe does not fight in a style to beat JT...Calzaghe jumps in to land his scoring flurries without that he cannot outbox toney on the outside on the inside he gets schooled by probably the best all around in fighter in the game for the past 20 years. I would love to see Calzaghe jump in on toney and square up like he does and lets both his side arm girl like swing fest hands go on the inside..That would be hilarious.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2007, 03:26 AM   #47
RAMPAGE0017
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: I dont care what anyone says.....James Toney is better and would beat .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky
Actually, Joe is as fast as Roy Jones JR in combinations - Roy had a way faster trigger on single punches and especially that lead right but in combination shots, Joe possesses similar speed to Roy.

RAMPAGE0017 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 03:29 AM   #48
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE0017
I know right..these guys gone bonkers..this guy.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

is as fast of hands as this

guyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPT6E_ouBnM

NAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I think not...these ingrates
Old 09-15-2007, 03:34 AM   #49
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Not only was Roy faster..hit harder...and better then Joey..lol..he did things like Feints and disguised his punches and did not just wail away barrages of "I hope I land" The more I watch Calzaghe the more I realize he was just basically a swarmer that held after he threw his flurries which had no accuracy by the way..Roy hit you....Roy had accuracy...Those who think the Roy that dominated Toney shows the blueprint of what calzaghe would do dont know shit about boxing. Roy didnt just blow Toney out of the water..he used crazy 3,4,5 feints with ease before he let his hands go. Calzaghe just starts the motor and does a constant barrage which a defensive master like toney would pick him off unlike the other no defense having bums calzaghe fought..lol
Old 09-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #50
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky
Have you even watched Calzaghe fight? I'm thinking not.

Calzaghe is one of the more accurate punchers in the sport, he links together punches very well and tends to hit a high threshhold - you don't hit a guy a thousand times in a night without being accurate.

Me thinks you've read his boxrec without actually seeing him - Joe feints alot, he disguises his punches, he doesn't just wail away, usually he waits for his opening.

Joe a swarmer? Only afte rh makes you miss from the outside

Go watch his fights before judging him. It's obvious to me you haven't.
You retard.. I just post a link of his top 5 favorite fights from when he was on FNF and that covered his Eubank Fight to the Lacy fight..as I said an non accurate swarmer and he hit lacy b/c lacy came right at him str8 a head with no type of angle or movement. As I said...Toney schools this swarmer.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #51
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
You retard.. I just post a link of his top 5 favorite fights from when he was on FNF and that covered his Eubank Fight to the Lacy fight..as I said an non accurate swarmer and he hit lacy b/c lacy came right at him str8 a head with no type of angle or movement. As I said...Toney schools this swarmer.
Godzaghe is also a premium boxer if needed and very hard to hit at his best.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #52
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

If he gets outboxed by Peter, then Calzaghe would outbox him too.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #53
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

Calzaghe isn't as fast as Jones was in his prime, no doubt about it.

But that said, Calzaghe is a very different kind of fight. No he isn't gonna feint from the outside multiple times to throw you off and land a clean right hand. What he will do though is stand inside and throw alot of punches. Now that may seem like a counter puncher's dream, but in reality Calzaghe isn't just throwing stock trade punches. He has a very intelligent swarming style. Just look at his style. Actually it reminds me alot of watching Pavlik how he catches guys down low and with uppercuts and right hands upstairs.

All those little evasive moves that Toney does like leaning to his left, rolling his shoulder and catching with his glove will be invitations for hooks to the body, uppercuts to the chin and right hands to the ear. Toney gets away with this alot against guys who throw stock trade punches. You know guys who aren't offensive thinkers, they just do what their trainer tells them.

I think Calzaghe-Toney is a closer fight than Jones-Toney, because neither guy is going to seize the advantage of footwork and distance. But I don't see Toney having an easy time with Calzaghe on the inside either. I think Calzaghe is a bit too smart, infact smarter than most of the 60some guys Toney walked over as supermiddleweight champion.
Ambition_Def is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #54
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition_Def
Calzaghe isn't as fast as Jones was in his prime, no doubt about it.

But that said, Calzaghe is a very different kind of fight. No he isn't gonna feint from the outside multiple times to throw you off and land a clean right hand. What he will do though is stand inside and throw alot of punches. Now that may seem like a counter puncher's dream, but in reality Calzaghe isn't just throwing stock trade punches. He has a very intelligent swarming style. Just look at his style. Actually it reminds me alot of watching Pavlik how he catches guys down low and with uppercuts and right hands upstairs.

All those little evasive moves that Toney does like leaning to his left, rolling his shoulder and catching with his glove will be invitations for hooks to the body, uppercuts to the chin and right hands to the ear. Toney gets away with this alot against guys who throw stock trade punches. You know guys who aren't offensive thinkers, they just do what their trainer tells them.

I think Calzaghe-Toney is a closer fight than Jones-Toney, because neither guy is going to seize the advantage of footwork and distance. But I don't see Toney having an easy time with Calzaghe on the inside either. I think Calzaghe is a bit too smart, infact smarter than most of the 60some guys Toney walked over as supermiddleweight champion.
Nope...wrong on majority accounts...Toneys evasive moves would MAKE calzaghe miss majority of his wide slapping shots and what else would calzaghe have to do..when JT rolls and bends back calzaghe would have to get close to land as he does anyway with his slapping shots...JT had very quick hands at middle and super middle. And like I said he would hit Calzaghe to the body with the jab and Toney would SCHOOL Calzaghe on the inside where TONEY makes you close the distance...and if Calzaghe did not he would not land...Remember..those punches are not str8 punches............THEY ARE ARM PUNCHES THROWN SIDE WAYS it does not have the reach of a str8 shot need to stay on the outside of Toney and not over commit...
Old 09-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #55
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

LOL look how calzaghe bulls in with his head and just bangs out arm punches..against BREWER....lol...........................................................Toney would ICE that MOFO.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #56
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

Yea but see you act like the only way to hit Toney is straight on from a distance. I've seen Toney get hit plenty from guys who aimed for his ear if you know what I'm saying.

Calzaghe doesn't just throw wide slaps either. Those are some short hooks he throws inside. Look how he caught Mitchell after being knocked down. That left hook was as short as they come. What is the best punch to land on a guy who leans into your left? The left hook right? What punch did Roy drop Toney with? And what position was Toney in when he fell? He was leaning into Jones' left, and got dropped with a left hook if I recall correctly.

And about that fight with Brewer. Calzaghe admitted that he didn't box Brewer like he should have. He went a little wild. That doesn't mean he is gonna be wild against Toney you know.

I'll say it again. I don't think Toney has an easy time inside with him. Calzaghe hasn't been where he is by throwing wide slapping punches his whole career.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #57
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

And you know what. Now that I watch Jones-Toney again everytime Jones had Toney off balance it was the left hook that did it.

I have little doubt watching this that Calzaghe couldn't do much of the same.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #58
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition_Def
And you know what. Now that I watch Jones-Toney again everytime Jones had Toney off balance it was the left hook that did it.

I have little doubt watching this that Calzaghe couldn't do much of the same.
For one thing you are forgetting the whole action and the actual left hook..lol..you are funny though...JT dropped his guard mimicing Roys taunt and JT was off balance and not even hurt in the slighest and almost stayed on his feet after back pedaling like 10 feet without actually falling. ...and to correct you Toney was not even in a defensive posture.....lol..one more key point....IT WAS A LEAPING LEFT HOOK...LAST TIME I CHECKED JOE DID NOT HAVE THAT KIND OF SPEED AND REFLEX AND ATHlETIC ABILITY TO DO THAT. After watching Calzaghe go to war with fighters with no insided game and NO defense and actually square up as he always does and proceeds to throw wide slapping punches..I am sold that JT whoops his ass.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #59
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

Those weren't all leaping left hooks.

Jones knew that he had Toney when he stood up to mimic him. He knew the next thing Toney would do, as he always does, is lean into that left. Thats what makes Toney so hard to hit with the right hand. But see Jones knew he had a small window to catch Toney leaning into his left.

Calzaghe isn't as fast as Jones, but that left hook is STILL faster than anything Sam Peter or any other cruiser/heavy throws.

And to Sam's part he caught Toney after the lean into his left. When Toney leans all the way then he's a sitting duck for a right hand behind the ear. That is where Sam did his damage and didn't need to be fast.

Now if Sam is smart enough to figure that out I have no doubt that Calzaghe can figure it out too. Toney essentially fought alot of guys who had a stock trade 1-2 style. Is it any wonder that Jones, who is a very unorthodox quick fighter :see also Calzaghe, beat the shit out of him?

Not to me.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #60
Piffer
****** KIT KAT
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
If he gets outboxed by Peter, then Calzaghe would outbox him too.

Peter didn't outbox him, he clubbed for 12 rounds him when he was badly faded. Peter himself was 'outboxed' in their first fight. ****ing A, Samuel Peter will NEVER outbox anyone.
Piffer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum