Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Max Schmeling vs Tommy Loughran

This is one of the big fights of the era that just never happened.

You could probably put them both in the ring together fairly close to their primes.

Who wins?
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Max Schmeling vs Tommy Loughran

I think Loughran would outbox Schmeling. Schmeling was undoubtedly strong but Loughran (from what I've seen) had superior ring smarts and faster feet. No doubt the power belonged to Max, but I think Loughran probably had as good a chin as Joe Louis and was more canny when under pressure (again, from what I've seen)

Loughran decision over 15.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Max is not going to counterpunch Tommy to a decision win, and he wasn't aggressive or fast enough to suddenly charge Loughran with the sort of explosive and unset bolt of lightning which Sharkey abruptly clobbered him with. It's going to be a chess match Schmeling where can't prevail, and I'd put money on it.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

I`d favour Max to be honest, and wouldn`t be surprised if he did by KO either. Tommy got dropped by right hands he didn`t see coming courtesy of Jack Sharkey and Leo Lomski, and Max was a more compact puncher than either man. He was also much more accurate with his right hand not to mention he threw one of the best sneak right crosses I`ve seen.... he would lull you to sleep with that pawing almost lazy jab he so often threw and then BAM one of those right hands would come thru sudenly full throttle and crash on his opponents chin.

I think Tommy would likely win the early rounds by boxing smartly behind his jab and using his footwork to keep his distance from Max, but as the fight gets into the middle rounds I see Schmelling closing the gap and finding the range with his right hand more and more with one of them eventually getting thru Tommys guard and sending him to the mat heavily.

He would probably beat the count and survive the round but after that I think the tide will have turned in Max` favour for good and he would keep pressing the fight and doing the better work until the finish for a unanimous decision win, maybe even dropping Tommy again at some point to really seal the deal.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
I`d favour Max to be honest, and wouldn`t be surprised if he did by KO either. Tommy got dropped by right hands he didn`t see coming courtesy of Jack Sharkey and Leo Lomski, and Max was a more compact puncher than either man. He was also much more accurate with his right hand not to mention he threw one of the best sneak right crosses I`ve seen.... he would lull you to sleep with that pawing almost lazy jab he so often threw and then BAM one of those right hands would come thru sudenly full throttle and crash on his opponents chin.

I think Tommy would likely win the early rounds by boxing smartly behind his jab and using his footwork to keep his distance from Max, but as the fight gets into the middle rounds I see Schmelling closing the gap and finding the range with his right hand more and more with one of them eventually getting thru Tommys guard and sending him to the mat heavily.

He would probably beat the count and survive the round but after that I think the tide will have turned in Max` favour for good and he would keep pressing the fight and doing the better work until the finish for a unanimous decision win, maybe even dropping Tommy again at some point to really seal the deal.
That is a seriously good point and a scenario that now seems entirely feasible.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Loughran by a decision, though it would be tougher than both his fights with Baer and Braddock. It would be won on the basis of Loughrans great mobility, and as it has been noted already, Max's lack of aggresion and over depending on counterpunch opportunities for his right. He would have shook up Tommy, and would have roughed him up at times, and like I say it would have been fairly close, but Tommy would have won on the cards, whether it was 12 or 15.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Tommy's accurate jab would have been his key to victory, and he would have made damned sure that he didn't drop the right when jabbing.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Raging Bull's call could have been a real possibility, as Schmeling was an accurate counterpuncher with the right, and to compare him with Max Baer, his right was pulled somewhat power-wise to allow for more accuracy than the bomblike right that Baer wielded.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Tommy's accurate jab would have been his key to victory, and he would have made damned sure that he didn't drop the right when jabbing.
The jab is the last tool you ever want to rely on against Schmeling.

Even if you didnt drop the right he would just push it aside and counter you.

Schmeling's whole style is based on picking apart technicaly orthodox boxers and particularly those who lead with the jab.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

From what I've seen of Schmeling, he was actually quite aggressive during the early part of his career until settling more into a right hand counter puncher.

Here are some notable fights of his to watch:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
From what I've seen of Schmeling, he was actually quite aggressive during the early part of his career until settling more into a right hand counter puncher.

Here are some notable fights of his to watch:

To be fair though you can understand why he might be more agressive against Stribling or Walker than against Louis.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
To be fair though you can understand why he might be more agressive against Stribling or Walker than against Louis.
Agreed but I've noticed it in other fights of his, for example the Jack Sharkey bouts. The aggressive style Schmeling used only made it easier for Sharkey to fight him.

TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Agreed but I've noticed it in other fights of his, for example the Jack Sharkey bouts. The aggressive style Schmeling used only made it easier for Sharkey to fight him.

I sspectthat Max Schmeling learned more in this fight than any other.

His subsequent fights were esentialy re-runs of this fight with the mistakes corrected.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
efrenpete

vCash: 500

Quote:

This was Sharkey when he was in the right mood, and as such, was a far more talented fighter than the pedantic Schmeling.
efrenpete is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #15
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
The jab is the last tool you ever want to rely on against Schmeling.

Even if you didnt drop the right he would just push it aside and counter you.

Schmeling's whole style is based on picking apart technicaly orthodox boxers and particularly those who lead with the jab.
Exactly, I canīt see a fighter relying as heavily on a jab as Loughran and with no power to back it up beating Max. Loughran may win rounds but he he wonīt win the fight.

Quote:
Both smaller than him, I think we would see a similar approach against Loughran.
bodhi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum