Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Thoughts On Antofurmo/Hagler I & II?

Eh?
Russell is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
jaywilton
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thoughts On Antofurmo/Hagler I & II?

The draw for Vito was cool with me in their first fight;he fought one of the gutsiest fights I've seen to hang in there;I began to think Hagler was overrated beginning with Vito I-and I think claims that Hagler could've gotten Duran out of there(outside of a lucky shot)are stretching it.
jaywilton is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
JohnPaul Futbol
Journeyman

I've watched the first fight about 5 times, no way that was a draw. Hagler clearly won that fight.
JohnPaul Futbol is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I watched #I on live TV way back when. Never watched it again yet. @ the time Haglar was definately the stronger of the two but Vito kept on coming back and it was very close in my opinion and thought the draw was fair.
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul Futbol
I've watched the first fight about 5 times, no way that was a draw. Hagler clearly won that fight.
Exactly there's no way in hell that was a draw. There are some idiots on this site.

Last edited by Relentless; 04-22-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I agree that Hagler won, but it wasn't by a lot. Anyone claiming it to be some sort of terribly obvious thing is mistaken or hasn't seen it. Hagler DID fade noticeably in the second half of the fight, and Vito stole some rounds. I had Hagler by two points, and that's a close fight.

As to fight number two, Vito had been floored by Mauricio Aldana in the fight just before that, and suddenly seemed to look his age, according to what I've read (haven't seen that fight). That idea seemed reinforced when Hagler took him on the second time. I think the knockdown Hagker scored there was as much a balance issue for Vito as being hurt; the punch landed on his forehead, if memory serves, and he was squared up against Hagler I think. I'll have to watch it again.

Vito just seemed more passive and out of synch, and Marvin sliced him up, forcing a stoppage.

Which goes to show you, when Antuofermo didn't bleed, he could be difficult to stay with.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

The butt in round one was a real bitch. Just seemed destined to happen against poor Antofurmo.
Russell is online now  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The difference between the first and second fight was Hagler's confidence. Hagler looked like a champion in the second fight. Having said that, the second butt in the rematch looked deliberate to me.

I just cannot fathom some people's opinion of the first fight. Vito fought a rugged fight and showed real heart but he got trounced ! I've watched the fight a number of times and believe it's possibly the worst decision I've ever seen, forget about Lewis Holy I. Being super generous to Vito, I would give him 5 rounds. Admittedly I am a Hagler fan but this one has to be the worst Hagler got screwed in his career. Much worse than the Duran fight and the SRL fight (which was uber close anyway). Vito came on strong in the final 5 round but that doesn't mean he managed to get much done in the first 10: rounds in which Marvin put on a clinic ! It amazes me the number of people who think Vito deserved a draw. It's significant I think that I've never read anyone who thinks he actually won.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
I agree that Hagler won, but it wasn't by a lot. Anyone claiming it to be some sort of terribly obvious thing is mistaken or hasn't seen it. Hagler DID fade noticeably in the second half of the fight, and Vito stole some rounds. I had Hagler by two points, and that's a close fight.

As to fight number two, Vito had been floored by Mauricio Aldana in the fight just before that, and suddenly seemed to look his age, according to what I've read (haven't seen that fight). That idea seemed reinforced when Hagler took him on the second time. I think the knockdown Hagker scored there was as much a balance issue for Vito as being hurt; the punch landed on his forehead, if memory serves, and he was squared up against Hagler I think. I'll have to watch it again.

Vito just seemed more passive and out of synch, and Marvin sliced him up, forcing a stoppage.

Which goes to show you, when Antuofermo didn't bleed, he could be difficult to stay with.
Yeah, that's about it for me. Back in the day many still believed you had to beat the champ convincingly to win and that is the case here i think. Nowadays close rounds are not so easily decided. Vito showed some real rugged ability in the first encounter and was as tough as nails. A tad underrated at times. He was solidly bested by Minter between bouts and was definitely on the decline.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=salsanchezfan]I agree that Hagler won, but it wasn't by a lot. Anyone claiming it to be some sort of terribly obvious thing is mistaken or hasn't seen it. Hagler DID fade noticeably in the second half of the fight, and Vito stole some rounds. I had Hagler by two points, and that's a close fight.

I had it dead even going into the final round and gave the 15th to Marvin, so I didn't have a problem with the draw either.

Scartissue
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=scartissue]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan

I had it dead even going into the final round and gave the 15th to Marvin, so I didn't have a problem with the draw either.

Scartissue
Scartissue,
I have the fight on tape and have watched it several times (making Hagler a clear winner). Which rounds do you think Vito won? It would be interesting to check them out.

ps if you had it even into the last round and Hagler won it, then you made him win by ONE point.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #12
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

I saw the first Hagler-Antuofermo fight live on TV with a bunch of friends. All of us were waiting for Hagler to take over and win by stoppage -- as was expected by everyone in the boxing world -- but it never happened.

It was really incredible to see Antuofermo come on strong after the tenth round and win most of the later rounds.

Even in spite of Antuofermo's late round success, though, I think Hagler got ripped off by the judges. Hagler won most of the first ten rounds and that should have given him an edge of about 9-6 or 8-5-2 on the cards after fifteen rounds.

Marvin had a history of being shafted by judges. Of his three losses (Boogaloo Watts, Worm Monroe and Sugar Ray Leonard), only the Monroe bout was a true defeat (1976 decision). By all accounts the Watts fight (1976 decision in Watt's hometown of Philadelphia) was a robbery, with even the Pennsylvania boxing commission admitting error. The Sugar Ray decision (1987) could have gone either way. Many reasonable observers felt Hagler deserved the nod against Leonard.

The same is true with Hagler's early career draw (1974 bout in Seattle) with Sugar Ray Seales. That verdict was widely regarded as a hometown gift for Seales.

Fortunately, Hagler tended to mete out justice in rematches. Antuofermo, Watts, Monroe and Seales were all decisively knocked out by Marvin in return bouts.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #13
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

No Way Hagler Deserved The 1st Fight
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I must be the only person who had their first fight a Draw too. Hagler GOT caught too often in close IMO
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Bummy and Nemesis: do you remember how you scored the first Hagler-Antuofermo in rounds?
kenmore is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum