boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-16-2007, 01:12 AM   #16
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should've Lennox gave Vitali a rematch?

There should have been a rematch afterwards. As soon as the cut healed. It would have been huge. This was a very compelling fight. Any time you watch it, it is pure excitement. The ending with Vitali having the support of the crowd, but Lennox having the victory, and both combatants highly charged was absolutely huge.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2007, 01:21 AM   #17
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnoff
There should have been a rematch afterwards. As soon as the cut healed. It would have been huge. This was a very compelling fight. Any time you watch it, it is pure excitement. The ending with Vitali having the support of the crowd, but Lennox having the victory, and both combatants highly charged was absolutely huge.
Should it have been after the cut, after, the knee,after the shoulder, after the heart? LOL - Lennox could have been potentially 50 by the time Vitali got his **** together as his subsequent non-efforts proved.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 01:28 AM   #18
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

lennox didn't/doesn't owe vitali ****....vit klit was a late repacement and had his one and only chance and his body failed him (sound familiar?) so tuff luck vit klit, your legacy will be a matter of what could have been instead of what was........maybe if you can get yourself together and put together a comeback....nah, forget it...............
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #19
bb251
Journeyman

Yes... It would still sell...
bb251 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 01:30 AM   #20
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRA
No - he owed it to himself not to follow the sad route of so many other fighters having one more unnecessary fight, then another, then another in order to satisfy fans who really just want to see massacre's rather than class.

Lewis let his intentions to retire well before the fight - and Vitali was handed the chance to elevate himself on a silver platter and insted looked like he had lost a fight with a lawnmower. Four cuts to the face is not luck - that is a fundamental inability to deal with Lewis' accuracy with DEFENCE.
The fight was a great fight to watch from a boxing fans stand point. Lewis just fought the wrong type of fight thats all.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #21
Hawks28
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Boxing
And it would be another of at least a million times in the history of boxing a fighter has said they'll give a rematch and didn't. So why is Lewis picked on so much?

If he was 30, 32, 34 or even 36 - he woulda kept on fighting and given him a rematch (and this time, made it more convincing, although I don't think Vitali can hang with a prime Lewis the first time anyhow). At 39, his weight and shape, after doing everything he had done, including a win over Vitali (you can call it close, or Vitali was winning, but if anyone tries to argue that cut should not have stopped the fight, is plainly and simply nuthugging).

NO.

Lewis didn't have to give Vitali a rematch, although it woulda been interesting if he stayed around and did. STILL, prime for prime, Vitali doesn't make it to the 6th, let alone is leading in it.
exactly. Its not like Lennox was in his early 20s. Everyone knew the end was nearing for Lennox. I wouldnt have complained if he did give Vitali a rematch, but he didnt have to. He would have beaten him again anyway.
Hawks28 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 02:45 AM   #22
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

I would have liked for him to give Vitali a rematch, but I am okay with Lennox calling it a career
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 04:26 AM   #23
OCAVE
Journeyman

Lennox Won..End of story...Will this Topic Ever DIE?
OCAVE is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #24
barneyrub
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykolakozak
A little less controversial question. Who should've won and who was stronger in that fight, forget about it. Lets handle this smaller and hpefully less controversial issue.

No winner likes to give a rematch to someone who lost. Most of the time it doesnt happen. Fair and square. You lost. Goodbye. So what makes Vitali special? Lets see:

1. That was a win by Lennox being behind on all points, and Lennoxed was booed.
2. Lennox is a athlete and he should have some respect to the fans, and the whole boxing organizion as a whole, and accept a fight that caused an extremely immenseful hype. (Remember the reaction in the arena, it doesnt get too much crazier than that.) Everyone next day was talking about it.
3. HE PROMISED ON LIVE TV TO VITALI's FACE. (Vitali came up to him, Live, seconds after the fight, and asked, do you promise me a rematch, I want a rematch: Lennox said yes.) And told Larry Merchant, "if he wants a rematch I will give it to him"

You decide.
He didnt "Promise", tell me when he said, "I promise", he didnt, he talked to Larry Merchant about doing so if the money was right and that he would think about it blah blah. Vitali got that lost in translation and described that as a promise lol. Thats his problem.
In the ring Vitali screamed "rematch rematch", Lewis said "no problem", almost in a way to calm Vitlali down and say whatever as vitali punched his arm and acted drunkenly aggresive, he did NOT promise. Maybe vitali uttered the word promise but Lewis didnt. Vitali sure didnt behave like a gentleman in that exchange, his brother had to pull him away as he hit Lewis and a melee occurred. So vitali was one round up in the scoring woohoo, he was out on his feet in rd 6 and bleeding from 4 cuts.
barneyrub is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 05:49 AM   #25
barneyrub
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
But in defining a man, does one keep a promise?
There was no promise, vitali aggressively behaved ungentlemanly in the ring after the fight at the time you seem to think a gentlemans agreement took place lol, why not mention that in your ridiculous besmirchment of Lewis which this thread is.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:55 AM   #26
barneyrub
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumsg
every one talks like he was behind on points because he was out of shape, I say bull **** the fight did not last but 6 rounds so being in shape had **** to do with it. The punches that lewis took made him look sluggish not because he was not in shape. Look if it was later in the fight I would agree but not when he lost 4 out of 6 rounds in the first and only half of the fight.
thats a swing of one round, wow big margin, wow he really was winning big, a one round difference at the halfway mark.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 AM   #27
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

nope he beat him fair and square no rematch.....look at lennoxs face after the fight and look at vitalis.....yes vitali was ahead on points but he was gonna get serouisly hurt by a huge power puncher/......vitali was lucky the fight was over cause it coulda been his last....period
anut is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #28
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
A little less controversial question. Who should've won and who was stronger in that fight, forget about it. Lets handle this smaller and hpefully less controversial issue.

No winner likes to give a rematch to someone who lost. Most of the time it doesnt happen. Fair and square. You lost. Goodbye. So what makes Vitali special? Lets see:

1. That was a win by Lennox being behind on all points, and Lennoxed was booed.
2. Lennox is a athlete and he should have some respect to the fans, and the whole boxing organizion as a whole, and accept a fight that caused an extremely immenseful hype. (Remember the reaction in the arena, it doesnt get too much crazier than that.) Everyone next day was talking about it.
3. HE PROMISED ON LIVE TV TO VITALI's FACE. (Vitali came up to him, Live, seconds after the fight, and asked, do you promise me a rematch, I want a rematch: Lennox said yes.) And told Larry Merchant, "if he wants a rematch I will give it to him"

You decide.
Yes. Lewis said he would, told the press he would, and had 15M on the table for him....then he saw Vitali thrash Krik Johnson, and thought to himself, I don't think this HUGE reward is worth the risk.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #29
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Given the fact that 4 years later every thread about it STILL explodes, there is not a single part of me that doubt the deservedness of this rematch. For Vitali, that is. I can understand Lewis having no motivation anymore and not wanting to take the risk at his high age, he had nothing left to prove.

Larry Holmes ducked far more rematches in his prime against far lesser opposition.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #30
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Get your facts straight. He had to wait 3 years before being able to rematch McCall.

The Rahman rematch was immediate, and so what?

It is now his fault that he got back in the ring to prove who is the best?
ChrisPontius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum