Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #61
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should've Lennox gave Vitali a rematch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Boxing
The guy was old, out of shape, and had a helluva lot of ring rust. His performance that night was enough for him to say I'm out, and EVERYONE should respect that decision... When the guy has done as much as Lewis had, and was what, 39 years old? Older?

Lewis was only 37, he promised a rematch, he also had time to prepare as much as he wanted/needed for a rematch.

But Lewis chose to not press his luck, and decided to bow out, rather than risk losing a fight that he, himself, probably doubted he could win.

Lewis knew, after trying to handle Vitali in the first fight, that Vitali was as every bit as good as he was, and that he (Lewis) was hurt at two or three times in that first fight, and luckily managed cut Vitali, even though the iron chinned Vitali was never hurt, or even staggered, as Lewis was, more than once. Bad sign for Lewis.

Lewis decided it best to not risk it, even if he did have to go back on his word of a rematch.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #62
barneyrub
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosseboi
instantly, 1 year, 3 years he should have given Vitali the same curtesy he wanted from others so in a way yes he should have given a rematch - you only need to look @ his expression afetr the fight to know he was thinking"Shit I was lucky to get through that.."

Go on, watch again, after the fight his face speak VOLUMES
Well Lewis got a rematch with Mccall only becaus ehe fought an eliminater and the WBC decreed that Mccall should fight Lewis for the vacant title, Mccall refuse dto give him a rematch while he held the title.
Lewis got a rematch from Rahman because he took him to court enforcin a contract clause he was smart enough to put in the first fight contract, Rahman didnt want to fight him again. Lewis didnt get given his shots, he had to fight for them and was prepare dto go to court to get them, he didnt cry about it like vitali.
barneyrub is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #63
mykolakozak
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyrub
Vitali definatley lost rds 5 and 6. Lewis did alot of damage inthos e2 rds and at the end of rd 6 vitali was out on his feet holding onto lewis to stay up while getting hit and not defending himself.
Here is a professional look to the rounds that vitali lost and won:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Vitali was much more aggresive in rounds 5 and 6 and did win them. Dont let the splattered blood on his face fool you. Its a cut. The only thing it means is that Klitschko is at disadvantage in sight and in loosing his strength.

So that the fight stopped is fine, but if Lennox couldve granted him a remach. 15 millions of $
mykolakozak is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #64
mykolakozak
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

So that the fight stopped is fine, but Lennox could've granted him a rematch. 15 millions of $$$ to fight a bum who Lennox once oready destroyed and its the same bum with a bad resume and never beat a #1 contender. Something tells me there was more.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #65
JAM Killer
Coming Through.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykolakozak
So that the fight stopped is fine, but Lennox could've granted him a rematch. 15 millions of $$$ to fight a bum who Lennox once oready destroyed and its the same bum with a bad resume and never beat a #1 contender. Something tells me there was more.
Yeah there is more, Lennox relized that he did not have the passion to fight any longer. Lennox is a ****ing braveheart, Vitali does not scare Lennox, I am sure about that!
JAM Killer is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #66
barneyrub
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
Since when does the look of a fighter influence a fight? Is there a new rule or something?
Its not the look, its the fact that the cuts and damage suffered by Vitali was judged by a doctor to be too severe for him to continue!
barneyrub is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #67
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
He retired. If he had fought another fight and it wasn't Vitali, fine. But he didn't. Every man has the right to retire. Period. He was old. He won. It's over.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #68
PATSYS
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
A little less controversial question. Who should've won and who was stronger in that fight, forget about it. Lets handle this smaller and hpefully less controversial issue.

No winner likes to give a rematch to someone who lost. Most of the time it doesnt happen. Fair and square. You lost. Goodbye. So what makes Vitali special? Lets see:

1. That was a win by Lennox being behind on all points, and Lennoxed was booed.
2. Lennox is a athlete and he should have some respect to the fans, and the whole boxing organizion as a whole, and accept a fight that caused an extremely immenseful hype. (Remember the reaction in the arena, it doesnt get too much crazier than that.) Everyone next day was talking about it.
3. HE PROMISED ON LIVE TV TO VITALI's FACE. (Vitali came up to him, Live, seconds after the fight, and asked, do you promise me a rematch, I want a rematch: Lennox said yes.) And told Larry Merchant, "if he wants a rematch I will give it to him"

You decide.
No.

Next question.
PATSYS is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #69
mykolakozak
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATSYS
No.

Next question.
HAHA...too true. Unfortunately this thread became like all the other. One thing is for sure I would love to see part 2 happen. I dont mean for Lennox to come back, but back than. Whether Lennox should've or shouldn't have is starting too much hype. Hopefully when he writes a book or ones comes up on him, maybe someone if not he himself will tell us what he thinks. But not now, like when he is 65 and ready to look at it from more of an objective point of view. At the moment he is still close to the heat.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #70
mykolakozak
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Let's see what George Foreman had to say:

In London to promote his new Cafe George food griller, Foreman said: "If Lewis walked away from Klitschko now, he might end up spending the rest of his life regretting he didn't prove that he could beat this guy fair and square."

In a remarkable testimony to Lewis, the American added: "I believe he will fight on.

A challenge has been made by Klitschko and Lewis has never, ever, been afraid of a challenge.

"How do I know that? Because of what I saw in that first fight between those two.

"Klitschko caught Lewis by surprise early on and, at the end of one round, Lewis just flopped down on to his stool. At that moment I saw the question 'what am I fighting here for?' appear in his face.

"As a boxer who has been where Lewis was at that moment, I could read what was going on in his mind," added Foreman.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #71
standing 8
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William4231
as far as i'm concerned, vitali won, Lennox lewis quit.
It wasn't Lewis that stopped the match. Are you saying that Vitali automatically wins the rematch because Lewis retired from boxing?
standing 8 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #72
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxinghusky
Vitali Klitschko will comeback and be Champion again, Lennox will not and did not retire a Champion cause there was a man he knew could beat him and he chose to go and run away.
What on earth are you talking about? In case you've missed something here Lennox beat Vitali, then retired.
Lewis had achieved more than enough to deserve to retire, certainly more than Vitali will ever achieve. Lennox Lewis was one of the most outstanding and honourable fighters of recent years. He had more talent and heart than both the Klitschko brothers put together.
Vitali had the best chance of actually achieving something worthwhile against a faded champ at the end of his career. He put in a good effort but ultimately failed. Lewis agreed to a rematch, but decided his health was more important and retired.
He went out of the sport as Champ, despite what you think. Lennox Lewis is not responsible for Vitali Klitschko failing at the top level, get over it.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #73
mykolakozak
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
What on earth are you talking about? In case you've missed something here Lennox beat Vitali, then retired.
Lewis had achieved more than enough to deserve to retire, certainly more than Vitali will ever achieve. Lennox Lewis was one of the most outstanding and honourable fighters of recent years. He had more talent and heart than both the Klitschko brothers put together.
Vitali had the best chance of actually achieving something worthwhile against a faded champ at the end of his career. He put in a good effort but ultimately failed. Lewis agreed to a rematch, but decided his health was more important and retired.
He went out of the sport as Champ, despite what you think. Lennox Lewis is not responsible for Vitali Klitschko failing at the top level, get over it.
Yes Lennox did enough to retire, but 15 years of professional boxing, would 6 more months with a 15 million dollar pay check hurt?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #74
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Yes Lennox did enough to retire, but 15 years of professional boxing, would 6 more months with a 15 million dollar pay check hurt?
Lewis didnt want to tarnish his Legacy like Tyson did, Vitali was at his peak while Lewis career was on the decline.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #75
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yes , He should've because Vitali was winning their first fight.
vitali had the point advantage on the card.
and he wasn't about to get koed either...he had the chin , the technic...

but that huge cut ruined all his chances.
boxingcar is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum