Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Remembering Inggo

I admit to being no expert myself so I'll start the questions going, I guess. I did a quick scan of the first few pages of the Classics Forum and could find nothing of oft-forgotten heavyweight king Ingemar Johansson. Only a handful of threads, in fact, exist in the whole forum, upon a cursory use of the search function, most of them pitting him against other old-time fighters similarly indistinguishable to the modern fan. I think it is due time we opened a discussion on this subject.

How many of his fights were filmed in their entirety? I've only seen four of them.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Remembering Inggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by William4231
Why would you want to watch that bum when there are tons of perfectly good larry homles fights available.

he was not a bum ......
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Johansson was a special fighter with a very short prime.

The fact that he blasted a very cagy, durable Eddie Machen out of there in one round whereas Sonny Liston couldn't even hurt him in 12 rounds is very impressive, no matter how you look at it. He'd clean the European picture, then destroyed a top contender and then destroyed the champion, Patterson.

He came close to winning the third match, but didn't. He was somewhat limited, but that right hand was dangerous as hell. I also read he liked partying a bit too much, which explains his short peak.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Cash

How many of his fights were filmed in their entirety? I've only seen four of them.
You can see Ingo vs Patterson, Hoff, and Machen in full fights. I think Ingo's match with Erskine is out there. Also his match with London where Ingo wins flat on his back and saved by the bell in the final round.
Ingo also has a sparring session filmed with Ali. I always wanted to see his match with Henry Cooper.

Last edited by Mendoza; 09-15-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
joe33

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William4231
Why would you want to watch that bum when there are tons of perfectly good larry homles fights available.

Are you hugging holmes jockstrap then or something?,maybe you dont understand these forums,but this aint about holmes,if you think inggo was a bum,that explains to me all i need to know about your you and what you know about boxing.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Mendoza you are talking nonsence!!!
Ingo was knock down by London, raised during the count, and then the bell rang. He was not winning flat on his back.(i got it on tape).
The Cooper fight was actually filmed, but the cameraman got so bored that he turned his camera to some celebrities at ringside, and missed the knock out blow!!! (I have a short clip of that too.)
Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
You can see Ingo vs Patterson, Hoff, and Machen in full fights. I think Ingo's match with Erskine is out there. Also his match with London where Ingo wins flat on his back and saved by the bell in the final round.
Ingo also has a sparring session filmed with Ali. I always wanted to see his match with Henry Cooper.
Thanks for the informative response. I watched his match with Hoff only a few minutes ago. I did not even know that one existed.

What about his fights with Erskine, London, and Cooper? Were those filmed as well?
Old 09-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #8
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woller
Ingo was knock down by London, raised during the count, and then the bell rang. He was not winning flat on his back.(i got it on tape).
The Cooper fight was actually filmed, but the cameraman got so bored that he turned his camera to some celebrities at ringside, and missed the knock out blow!!! (I have a short clip of that too.)
Woller
It has been said that he got up at the referee's count of four, but I've never seen the fight myself.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:44 AM   #9
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Woller
Woller,

This is possible. Perhaps the clip I have seen did not show Ingo getting up. Sometimes people or TV networks edit things out of fights. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I believe this is one of the great urban myths that have permeated boxing through the ages, that Johannson was flat on his back unconscious and awarded the decision because of the final bell. A bit of research on this uncovers that Johannson did rise during the count and the remainder of the count (possibly the mandatory was cut short by the final bell. However, info states that "Johannson staggered to his feet, his eyes glassy and arms dangling at his side." What fuels this myth is that headlines abounded "Ingo gets saved by the bell" and the fact that the sole arbiter, Referee Andrew Smythe stated that he probably would have stopped the fight and awarded it to Brian London if the bell hadn't rung. So one can see how this came about.

Scartissue
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ingo used another version of the "Hammer of Thor" on his traveling companion Swedish girlfriend Birgit during training for the 2nd Patterson fight and was never the same thereafter.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I have seen the Erskine fight. It is definitely out there.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Also his match with London where Ingo wins flat on his back and saved by the bell in the final round.
WRONG. Johansson was knocked on the seat of his pants and was up at 4 as the bell rang. Him being flat on his back and saved by the bell is a pervasive myth.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #14
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I also got Ingemar vs Bygraves 2nd, Franco Cavicchi, Dick Richardson and Joe Erskine, but only highlight editions.
Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #15
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
I also got Ingemar vs Bygraves 2nd, Franco Cavicchi, Dick Richardson and Joe Erskine, but only highlight editions.
Woller

Interesting. I didnīt know someone who has the Cavicchi and the Richardson- fights... Who was the Cavicchi- fight for example?
Luigi1985 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum