Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
PacDbest
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Penalosa wants 3 more fights, Arce, Ponce & Vasquez.

WBO bantamweight champion Gerry Peñalosa is eyeing three more fights before he decides to retire and trainer Freddie Roach believes that if Peñalosa “really wants to do it, he can go on for a longer period of time.”

Roach said Peñalosa was like 42 year old Bernard Hopkins because he is “very disciplined about his lifestyle and lives very clean. It’s the same with Gerry. He could do this for a long time if he wants to.”

Roach noted that the first he worked with Peñalosa was for the WBC super flyweight title fight with Japan-based North Korean Masamori Tokuyama which Peñalosa lost by a controversial decision. But Roach noted that at the time of the Tokuyama fight Peñalosa “wasn’t quite the same guy he is now.”

Roach said at present Peñalosa is “very good, has a spark behind him now and enjoys working out and getting in shape.” The trainer extraordinaire said he loves watching Peñalosa box because “he is to me the James Toney of the Philippines. He is so calm and cool and nothing fazes him. He is just beautiful to watch.”

Roach said he believes that if he was in Peñalosa’s corner when he dropped a twelve round decision to WBO super bantamweight champion Daniel Ponce De Leon, he would have won. Roach noted the reason Peñalosa lost was because he wasn’t aggressive enough in the second half of the fight.

Roach said Ponce De Leon has indicated his willingness to come to the Philippines to fight Peñalosa in a rematch if the price is right and the giant Philippine broadcast network ABS-CBN is looking at the possibility of staging the fight sometime early next year although there is nothing definite.

Peñalosa who had expressed his eagerness to exact revenge told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today he would first like to fight Mexican firebrand Jorge Arce followed by Ponce De Leon and end his career with a fight against Israel Vasquez. Right now Peñalosa is back in training and waiting for Roach to arrange a fight for him.

What a Cajones!!!!
PacDbest is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
PATSYS
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Penalosa wants 3 more fights, Arce, Ponce & Vasquez.

Penalosa seems to get carried away by his win against Gonzales (which he was well in points when he landed the body shot). I do not see him beating either PDL or Vasquez.
PATSYS is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Penalosa is an old school fighter and a tough guy....I'm not sure he would win those 3 fights (especially Vazquez and Ponce De Leon)
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
PacDbest
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Vasquez will be easier that PDL style wise for Penalosa.
PacDbest is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
huki
huk huk ^_^;;
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDbest
Vasquez will be easier that PDL style wise for Penalosa.
Vasquez will be a nightmare for Penalosa no matter how you look at it. His performance in the Gonzalez fight wasn't great and you have to be crazy to think that he has any chance of beating someone at the level of Vasquez.
huki is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
knockout
Make my day
ESB Addict

maybe he has shot at beating Arce or Ponce but Vasquez.
knockout is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
mbandit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

How about giving Gonzalez a rematch?Gonzalez was schooling him until the k.o.
mbandit is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
valdosta
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hmmmm, I really don't know what some of you were watching. Yes, Gonzalez was winning most of the rounds. HOWEVER, Penalosa was pressuring well and had bothered Gonzalez to the body VISIBLY more than 1 time. Calling it a lucky punch is wrong.
valdosta is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
PacDbest
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbandit
How about giving Gonzalez a rematch?Gonzalez was schooling him until the k.o.
I was there at ringside everybody there including some Mexicans egging Gonzales to stop running & fight. He looks like a frightened fighter there. I'm not even surprise when Gerry Knock him out.

We knew Gerry give ponce a Boxing lesson, I watch that fight again last night & for me Gerry clearly win. If I'm gerry I'll fight Arce first, then Challenge the winner of Rafa/Vasquez. He has more chance to KNockout either guy. Ponce looks like a Sturdy guy & If it went to decision he'll be robbed again. If he's successful with Vasquez then rematch Ponce for Unification, then retire win/ loss.
PacDbest is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
Luzon
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Something about Gerry that makes his bigger opponents run?
Gerry isnt as good chasing opponents as he is counter punching and having his opponent come to him... He did well againts PDL in their first outing because PDL was aggressive early on and so he got tagged by alot of good shots... GP was as aggressive as he shoulda been though, but who can blame him againts such a big puncher. I think Gerry has better chances againts the likes of Vasquez, PDL, than Jhonny because those guys play into Gerry's style... Jhonny was a runner and thats why Gerry had a hard time with him..
Luzon is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
boxbox
Champion
East Side Guru

against gonzales, he was patient, he was sticking to his gameplan. he had to take some punches to get in. That wasnt a lucky punch.

against Ponce, some people actually thought gerry won, Ponce did land some solid punches and Gerry took it well, only thing was, ponce was throwing so many punches. but the harder and cleaner punches was from Gerry. After fight was announced, Ponce's camp looked surprised like it was a miracle.

Against Israel, i think Gerry losses this by UD..
boxbox is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
41fever
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He could take ARce out, high probability with PDL as well...
now my boy IZZY, r u crazy!? IZZY would tap that azz!
Vasquez too big, too strong and relentless...
41fever is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
TanstA
Legendary
ESB Senior Member

If he fought all three he would lose to all three.
TanstA is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 12:17 AM   #14
mbandit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDbest
I was there at ringside everybody there including some Mexicans egging Gonzales to stop running & fight. He looks like a frightened fighter there. I'm not even surprise when Gerry Knock him out.

We knew Gerry give ponce a Boxing lesson, I watch that fight again last night & for me Gerry clearly win. If I'm gerry I'll fight Arce first, then Challenge the winner of Rafa/Vasquez. He has more chance to KNockout either guy. Ponce looks like a Sturdy guy & If it went to decision he'll be robbed again. If he's successful with Vasquez then rematch Ponce for Unification, then retire win/ loss.
W.T.F?I'm telling you your nutthuging is extreme to say the least.Gonzalez was boxing him and thats all there is to it.Boxing has different styles and this is Gonzalez syle.He was weight drained and he had to preserve his energy for the later rounds.Gerry clearly won?Yes he did by k.o, but he was loosing the fight if you don't beleive me check the judges scorecards.And you really think he has a chance against marquez or Vasquez?Give me a break!if De Leon could box him and he is the worst boxer for mexico right now,what makes you think Marquez or Vasquez can't?Heck they would not box him they would k.o him.He can beat Arce or maybe even Ponce but Marquez and Vazquez...I don't think so.
mbandit is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
jopez707
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 497

I was there in Sac-town that night and Gonzalez was definitely winning the fight and appeared to be really pulling away before Gerry landed a few body punches in the 7th or 6th rd (whichever round he ko'd him). I think Gonzalez beats him in a rematch. I would favor Penalosa against Arce, as Arce is maybe too small, he (Arce) fought a long time at 112 and then 115, Penalosa has fought as high as 122. Vasquez would simply bring too much firepower, would be a great fight. I think he has a chance to outbox DE Leon, but I think De Leon would do much better in a rematch.
jopez707 is offline  Top
Closed Thread

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum