Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #31
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,418
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread



Quality. Especially the part about "everyone having a different" vision of the fight "in their head".
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #32
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_warrior_99 View Post
Cutos to him for parlaying his "Sugar Coated" stories into a thriving business career over all these years. I like boxing but I can't see myself making a red cent from the business angle of boxing. Those old school writers literarilly could get away with murder by over-dramatizing actual events. Look at the boxing events that have no film, Firpo-Dempsey is one of the most over-dramatized boxing matches of all time because there is no video evidence. It leaves the reader imagining the action as described by the writer- I am sure everyone has a different picture of this fight in their head of Firpo sending Dempsey out of the ring. In Baseball there is no video of Babe Ruth calling his shot in Chicago, and it is the single most written about (over-dramatized) event in baseball. Burt Sugar continues in this veign of over-dramatization following his mentors and probably says "screw it" when the video evidence says otherwise. "Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story"

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #33
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,868
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Yeah, Firpo-Dempsey is easy to get hold of. WTF is that dude on about?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #34
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

ok forget firpo-dempsey but roadwarrior made many valid point.


things like willie pep winning a round without throwing a punch
marcianos concrete nose
he prolly is a believer in ali changing gloves in london
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #35
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West View Post
ok forget firpo-dempsey but roadwarrior made many valid point.


things like willie pep winning a round without throwing a punch
marcianos concrete nose
he prolly is a believer in ali changing gloves in london
also add ray robinson is the only ever fighter to KO someone going backwards. i've seen fighters ko someone lots of times going backwards, but he makes robinson is the only ever person to do this.

Half the things the man says, are probaly just made up in his head. but he does make me laugh, some of the stuff he come's out with.
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #36
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,834
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_warrior_99 View Post
In Baseball there is no video of Babe Ruth calling his shot in Chicago, and it is the single most written about (over-dramatized) event in baseball.

There are actually two different films of the called shot.

Oh, and the Marciano nose cement story might be partially true. There used to be a substance they could use back in the old days that was similar to rubber cement. You put it in a cut and it would dry very quickly and literally bond to the skin. They outlawed it in boxing because after the fight was over you literally had to cut out of the skin which would make the wound and eventual scarring worse. Furthermore, if it got in the eyes of the fighter it was very dangerous and could easily blind you. I cant remember the name of this stuff but it is possible that is what Sugar and others have mentioned as being "quick drying cement".
klompton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #37
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Perhaps, but seeing all thsos guards stuff in the Rock's nose sort of tells me they didnt used that method.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #38
road_warrior_99
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 53
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Thanks BoxingGlove1, should have done my homework before posting the Dempsey-Firpo rant... I got mixed up because I read somewhere that the clip of the film showing Dempsey falling out of the ring was cut out of the master film and lost. OBVIOUSLY, youtube busted me!!!! I looked for the video of the Bambino calling his shot and no luck up till now. Peace out....
road_warrior_99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #39
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

I guess he has made some contributions to boxing but he has always worked better as a storyteller than a legit historian. Not the most reliable source in the boxing knowledge department.

Bert has never lets facts get in the way of a good story..............
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #40
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,834
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_warrior_99 View Post
Thanks BoxingGlove1, should have done my homework before posting the Dempsey-Firpo rant... I got mixed up because I read somewhere that the clip of the film showing Dempsey falling out of the ring was cut out of the master film and lost. OBVIOUSLY, youtube busted me!!!! I looked for the video of the Bambino calling his shot and no luck up till now. Peace out....

The two films are home movie films shot by fans from stadium bleachers. Both are in private collections and as far as I know have only been shown once on television several years ago as part of the news story discussing the find.

P.S. The footage of Dempsey being knocked out of the ring and climbing back in has been edited somewhat, just how much is up to debate.
klompton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:15 AM   #41
heehoo
TIMEXICAH!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ANAHUAC, CEMANAHUAC
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

.....

Last edited by heehoo; 09-23-2009 at 03:23 AM. Reason: point made
heehoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:28 AM   #42
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post


Quality. Especially the part about "everyone having a different" vision of the fight "in their head".
Some people have this version in their head, with Firpo wearing red trunks:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Others have this version, with Firpo in purple trunks:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Here's my version:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #43
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 20,100
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton View Post
There are actually two different films of the called shot.

Oh, and the Marciano nose cement story might be partially true. There used to be a substance they could use back in the old days that was similar to rubber cement. You put it in a cut and it would dry very quickly and literally bond to the skin. They outlawed it in boxing because after the fight was over you literally had to cut out of the skin which would make the wound and eventual scarring worse. Furthermore, if it got in the eyes of the fighter it was very dangerous and could easily blind you. I cant remember the name of this stuff but it is possible that is what Sugar and others have mentioned as being "quick drying cement".
Monsel's Solution,it was quick drying ,but had to be chiseled out and could irreparably damage the eye if allowed to get in to it,that's why it was banned.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #44
Tuaman
Return Of The Terminator
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

I miss Bert Sugar. I disagreed with some of his opinions, but I always enjoyed listening to his stories.

Bert said a few years ago that Primo Carnera would knock out Wladimir Klitschko. I have my doubts on that one.

Also, Bert said quite often that Jack Dempsey's left hook was better than Joe Frazier's. It's not that I disagree, but I think he says that only because of the Willard fight. The footage of Dempsey is pretty grainy, while fight footage of Smokin' Joe is in much better quality. Therefore, I'm not sure why he's so certain that Dempsey's hook was better.
Tuaman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #45
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The sooner the safer
Posts: 3,614
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Bert Randolph Sugar Myth Thread

Pep winning the round without throwing a punch was the one that springs to mind, not uniquely Sugars myth but one he seems to perpetuate
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013