Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #46
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Bantamweight Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
I told him to watch the Moon fights the other day .
He'll kick himself when he does get round to it, him more than anyone I can think of would really admire the performance in the 2nd fight (and of course Moons unbelievable chin and heart)

This Bantamweight tournament will be seriously, seriously good. A couple of fighters I need to brush up on, looking forward to learning some new stuff
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #47
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Ruben Olivares
Eder Jofre
Fighting Harada
Rafeal Herrera
Carlos Zarate
Lionel Rose
Alan Rudkin
Manuel Ortiz
Panama Al Brown
Jimmy Carruthers
Orlando Canizalez
Chucho Castillo
Nana Konadu
Jeff Chandler
Jose Medal
16Terry McGovern
17Charles Taylor
18Vic Toweel
19Sixto Escobar
20Lupe Pintor
21 Rafeal Marquez
22 Miguel lora
23 Raul Macias
24 Jose Becerra
25 Alberto Davila
25 Jeff Fenech
24 Alfonso Zamora
25 Gaby Canizalez
26 Khaosai Galaxy
27 Sun kil Moon
28 Veeraphol Sahaproom
29 Johnny Caldwell
30 Hozumi Hasegawa
31 Pedlar Palmer
32 Lou Salica

sound good guys?
Since there is no known footage of Palmer and Salica I think it would be best to replace them with some other fighters of whom there is available footage of instead. Two names I would throw in the mix as replacements would be Rodolfo Martinez and Venice Borkorsor, two quality fighters of whom there is footage of. As for Hasegawa personally I would replace him with Tim Austin who was a quality fighter in his heyday, he had a good run as champ and was a much better fighter than Hasegawa at his best.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #48
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
Since there is no known footage of Palmer and Salica I think it would be best to replace them with some other fighters of whom there is available footage of instead. Two names I would throw in the mix as replacements would be Rodolfo Martinez and Venice Borkorsor, two quality fighters of whom there is footage of. As for Hasegawa personally I would replace him with Tim Austin who was a quality fighter in his heyday, he had a good run as champ and was a much better fighter than Hasegawa at his best.
You reckon Raging?

I think Hozumi's run is fast approaching Tim's, as even an old Sahaprom was better then just about anyone that Tim beat...and I didnt think there was much in it between them from what Ive seen.

Considering their vast gulf in amateur experience (reportedly Hozumi has next to none) Hasagawas impresses me a bit.

Tim was a very good fighter...Ridiculous arms and reach for his size but I have often found people overrated him a little. I guess perhaps because he was a rarity in these mexican dominated divvys.
Not so much overrate him but overlook the achievements of other fighters who were about as good.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #49
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
You reckon Raging?

I think Hozumi's run is fast approaching Tim's, as even an old Sahaprom was better then just about anyone that Tim beat...and I didnt think there was much in it between them from what Ive seen.

Considering their vast gulf in amateur experience (reportedly Hozumi has next to none) Hasagawas impresses me a bit.

Tim was a very good fighter...Ridiculous arms and reach for his size but I have often found people overrated him a little. I guess perhaps because he was a rarity in these mexican dominated divvys.
Not so much overrate him but overlook the achievements of other fighters who were about as good.
Don`t get me wrong as I do think that Hasegawa is a quality fighter in his own right and would have acquitted himself well vs Austin and many other bantams, but talentwise Tim is clearly a level above imho. And while it is true that Austin did not have the most stellar comp during as defending champion let us not forget that the other beltholders at the time weren`t exactly in a hurry to unify vs Tim, he was avoided for a long time by his contemporarys. Hasegawa may well end up having a better and longer run as champ, but that does not make him a better fighter however and I think head to head against the other quality fighters in this tournament Tim would go further than Hasegawa by a longshot, and thats no insult to Hozumi btw.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #50
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
Quoting myself just to say that while there is no known footage of a Palmer fight I just remembered that I do have some film of him sparring Billy Plimmer, haven`t watched it in ages though.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #51
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Again, Khaokor
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #52
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Again, Khaokor

kaosai has to be in champ for 8 years ,19 succesful defences

i think personally they both should be in
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #53
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

kaosai has to stay in
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #54
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Tim Austin is definately a solid call. I reckon he could match-up really well in this tournament with his stance, height and speed & power.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #55
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
kaosai has to be in champ for 8 years ,19 succesful defences

i think personally they both should be in
No way. Personally, Khaokor being a Bantam makes him a better choice. Also, Khaosai never fought anyone of any note. Khakor defeated both Sung Kil Moon AND Wilfredo Vasquez, convincingly both times.

Khaosai had the better punch. Khaokor had everything else AND better opposition. Less fight, yes, but in a Bantamweight tournament he deserves the nod.

Watch his 2nd fight with Moon or his match with Vasquez. He has a chance to win some of these hypothetical match-ups, bar the weaker chinned fighters Khaosai doesn't really stand a chance. He's too ne dimensional IMO.

By the way, I'm a massive supporter of Khaosai and have stuck up for him against a lot of his detractors. But against Khaokor, I don't think it's easy to make a case for Khaosai being the better fighter.

Only my opinion, maybe others have facts to the contrary that would prove me otherwise
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #56
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 31447

I cant believe that no one has mentioned Johny Tapia.
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #57
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Yeah Johnny would be a fine inclusion...Though his bantam form wasnt quite as good as his 115 work.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #58
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
I cant believe that no one has mentioned Johny Tapia.
Yep, he has to be in here too, although I think he was better lower.

All-Time Bantam is STACKED
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #59
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
kaosai has to stay in
And if he does, then it leaves the tourney open for the likes of Watanabe, Mijares and many other shit hot super-flyweights.

Considering how packed this division is don't you think it would be better to include fighters who were known fo decent tenures at 118?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #60
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
And if he does, then it leaves the tourney open for the likes of Watanabe, Mijares and many other shit hot super-flyweights.

Considering how packed this division is don't you think it would be better to include fighters who were known fo decent tenures at 118?

i thought we were only doing 8 weight classes if so some of the super-fly champs should be included

did you ever here the rumour that one galaxy made the weight and the other done the fighting
Mr Butt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum