Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #31
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: HW division better now or in the 90s

The 90s were better. Only if you are eastern euro you think todays heavyweights are just as good like the guys of that era. Everybody else knows these ABC 123 fighters now are not in the same league. Shit, I take a prime Golota over 99% of them.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #32
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Weight
No way would any of the current belt-holders be able to take Bruno's arsenal, no way in hell.
Ibragimov would give him serious trouble IMO. Put it this way, Bruno would find his road to alphabelt less rocky post Lewis than he did in his own era.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #33
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

I don't really think this is an American vs Eastern Europe thing. The division is no good in the same way it was in the eighties, or the thirties, or even the Patterson era.

The future is Eastern Europe, and just wait until Wladdy, Chag, Povetkin, Sultan, Dimintrenko, and Boystsov are all fighting each other along with Peter, Haye, and Solis.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #34
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
The 90s were better. Only if you are eastern euro you think todays heavyweights are just as good like the guys of that era. Everybody else knows these ABC 123 fighters now are not in the same league. Shit, I take a prime Golota over 99% of them.
The reality is that you're forced to take a "prime golota" against 99% of them because you realise that if a mental midget (or a "never was") guy such as Golota was able to dominate a guy like Bowe...

chances are , the more experimented and talented prospects of today would do the same or much better.
boxingcar is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:17 PM   #35
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

better now, but not as popular, and it seems to be harder to get fights made today than it was back then
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #36
semichin

vCash:

I agree with Ruskulls early post saying it is hard to judge them now till they are retired....I consider Lewis as closer to now than then..and he'd do fine
Old 09-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #37
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcar
The reality is that you're forced to take a "prime golota" against 99% of them because you realise that if a mental midget (or a "never was") guy such as Golota was able to dominate a guy like Bowe...

chances are , the more experimented and talented prospects of today would do the same or much better.
Yeah he could box though..and didnt get starched by Corrie Sanders. as the other top guys.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #38
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

1990s
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #39
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
Yeah he could box though..and didnt get starched by Corrie Sanders. as the other top guys.
still doesn't change the facts i've mentioned...
You know it.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #40
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Quote:
Today's era is not worse than the 90's...only difference is that now people are bitching a bit more cause americans are out of the picture.

it sure is different from ali's era too , in which eastern euros used to get banned from participating in the first place.
What a load of shit.

Todays division is worse simply because guys that could reach contender status ONLY in the 90's, when they were young and more in their prime - can now be beltholders.

Briggs. About 50% if that of the fighter he was. Became a belt holder in todays division.
Maskaev. Again, becomes a belt holder in todays division - not good enough to even get a title shot in the 90's.
McCall. STILL hanging around, is one of the many mandatories for the WBC.
Holy. Still around. Getting title shots now when clearly about half the fighter he was. Actually being given a chance to win.

Do I need to go on? the fact that guys when they were late 20's, early 30's werent good enough - can come back now, 10 years later, and be champions says it all really.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #41
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman
What a load of shit.

Todays division is worse simply because guys that could reach contender status ONLY in the 90's, when they were young and more in their prime - can now be beltholders.

Briggs. About 50% if that of the fighter he was. Became a belt holder in todays division.
Maskaev. Again, becomes a belt holder in todays division - not good enough to even get a title shot in the 90's.
Holy. Still around. Getting title shots now when clearly about half the fighter he was. Actually being given a chance to win.

Do I need to go on? the fact that guys when they were late 20's, early 30's werent good enough - can come back now, 10 years later, and be champions says it all really.
Well said, I guess everybody has there own opinion on todays era.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 10:58 PM   #42
Lacyace
Forever Knight
ESB Addict

vCash: 200

Quote:

Uh, a 280 pound boxer with asthma won a title in this era. Not to mention, he was never anything more than a contender in the 90s who won the championship in a robbery.

Edit - My mistake. I didn't see someone already acknowledged that.

And that logic is flawed btw.

Oh yeah, Maskaev won a belt in this division which is supposedly the best since the 80s! What a joke.
Lacyace is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #43
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by box03
Well said, I guess everybody has there own opinion on todays era.
My opinion is Wald is the only guy that you could pick up, and drop into the 90's, and would be anything more than a half decent contender.

All the rest would fall into the likes of being a Morrison, Ruddock, Mercer, etc type of fighter.

Guys like Bruno, Moorer etc, guys that had belts, would win the majority of times against the current crop of beltholders.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 PM   #44
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
My opinion is Wald is the only guy that you could pick up, and drop into the 90's, and would be anything more than a half decent contender.

All the rest would fall into the likes of being a Morrison, Ruddock, Mercer, etc type of fighter.

Guys like Bruno, Moorer etc, guys that had belts, would win the majority of times against the current crop of beltholders.
I couldnt agree more with you, The top 10 of the 90s vs the top 10 of 2000s there really is no comparison
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 PM   #45
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What a load of shit.

No , that's just you looking at the negative aspects of the situation. and ignoring the other side.
I can also point out some rather embarrassing facts about any divisions actually.

Let's talk about 85-90's era...
and you'll see that what you're saying was just as bad during that time too...

Gerry Cooney anyone? ("white hope"...more like no hoper of the time).
Gets tkoed by a past prime Foreman. The same guy...als gets beat by the likes of Holmes and spinks...(all were past their primes)... Tyson's win over spinks was just the icing on the cake to finish that guy's career.

and you come here and dare to talk about Holyfield?...as if it was some sort of unique situation...what's wrong with that?

you're forgetting Foreman in his 40's beating the much younger Moorer.
suddenly Holyfield's case doesn't seem too bad or unique doesn't it?...and that was in 94 btw.

and please don't make it sound as if Holyfield was the champ already...or as if he was totally dominating this division cause he isn't.

You talk about Maskaev...and yes i agree , but AGAIN...you're forgetting Foreman...
Guess what? Maskaev also beat rahman when he was younger.
you can't even have an excuse for rahman. (saying that he was past his prime like you did for Briggs for example)
and rahman (for what he's worth)
happens to be the guy who once owned Lennox Lewis.
(fluke or not , it happened).

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum