Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #46
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: HW division better now or in the 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman
My opinion is Wald is the only guy that you could pick up, and drop into the 90's, and would be anything more than a half decent contender..
because you're deluded

Last edited by koko of phil; 06-20-2006 at 10:11 AM.
boxingcar is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #47
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyace
Oh yeah, Maskaev won a belt in this division which is supposedly the best since the 80s! What a joke.
look what foreman did in his 40's....the joke's on you.
boxingcar is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #48
2smart4u
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The 90s were better but it was possibly better then any other era ! This era is much better then given credit for however !
2smart4u is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #49
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcar
look what foreman did in his 40's....the joke's on you.
Foreman had a great chin and was still extremely powerful, the only great win he had between 87-97 was against Morrison who won practically every round until the 10th where he left his guard down and got caught. So other than that who did Big George beat that was any good in the 90s era, Wlad got caught by an old journeymen in sanders. Shit happens, even a great gets caught with a lucky punch here and there.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #50
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I meant Moorer my bad.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #51
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Quote:
No , that's just you looking at the negative aspects of the situation. and ignoring the other side.
I can also point out some rather embarrassing facts about any divisions actually.

Let's talk about 85-90's era...
and you'll see that what you're saying was just as bad during that time too...

Gerry Cooney anyone? ("white hope"...more like no hoper of the time).
Gets tkoed by a past prime Foreman. The same guy...als gets beat by the likes of Holmes and spinks...(all were past their primes)... Tyson's win over spinks was just the icing on the cake to finish that guy's career.
Why are you talking about the 80's? they were shit too, and it took a Tyson to sort out the division. I never said the 80's were any good.

Quote:
and you come here and dare to talk about Holyfield?...as if it was some sort of unique situation...what's wrong with that?

you're forgetting Foreman in his 40's beating the much younger Moorer.
suddenly Holyfield's case doesn't seem too bad or unique doesn't it?...and that was in 94 btw.

and please don't make it sound as if Holyfield was the champ already...or as if he was totally dominating this division cause he isn't.
I'm not forgetting Foreman at all. What he did was impressive. BUT - he lost badly to HOly. Got another shot at a blown up LHW - was losing badly, and landed a great punch when the guy got careless.

Awesome achievement, yes.

But a bit lucky, and George got his shot because of promotion, not results.

George then very quickly gave up fighting live bodies after that.

Quote:
You talk about Maskaev...and yes i agree , but AGAIN...you're forgetting Foreman...
Guess what? Maskaev also beat rahman when he was younger.
you can't even have an excuse for rahman. (saying that he was past his prime like you did for Briggs for example)
and rahman (for what he's worth)
happens to be the guy who once owned Lennox Lewis.
(fluke or not , it happened).
That doesn't make any sense. Forget Foreman.

Maskaev is older now yes? late 30's? Is now a belt holder, and never could be previously.

Maskaev didn't make a comeback against tomato cans to get his shot. He's still considered an active fighter.

Foreman was a one off in the 90's. It was shocking because it was so unexpected.

the very fact that it's NOT so shocking any more, just shows how weak the current generation is. Why do you think so many guys from the 90's are coming back in their mid to late 30's, early 40's?

Because they've suddenly got better - or because there is less competition?

Quote:
...because you're deluded
Whatever man. You're the one rambling about some form of anti-Eastern European conspiracy.

You don't have any facts or even logic to back up your arguments.

I don't care what colour or race anyone is in the heavyweight division.

I see a lot of guys that are out of shape, with poor technique, little power, and little determination.

No way in the world a fighter like Tony Thomson would be considered a genuine top 10 fighter in the 90's. No way known. Seems like a nice guy, tries hard, does the right thing - but he would have been a journeyman at best 15 years ago.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #52
hmi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think that we even have to ask this question. The HW division now is a joke. The belt holders don't even look fit.
hmi is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #53
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi
I don't think that we even have to ask this question. The HW division now is a joke. The belt holders don't even look fit.
Its not always about how you look its how you perform in the ring, but the heavywieght division is a joke to me and most other fans.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #54
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1001

I feel the 90's were clearly better at the top. Wlad is the only elite hw now despite his paperbag chin Depth wise you could make an interesting argument, but the 90's was pretty stong all-around. That being said, there is clearly some anti-euro sentiment floating around.
KobeIsGod is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #55
hmi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

box03, how you look affects how you perform. If you don't look fit (with obvious fats around the body), you don't expect them to be quick and to have good stamina. That's why I said they don't even look fit. Hence, you don't expect them to perform well.
hmi is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #56
the_churn
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Prime Ray Mercer would have decent shot at demolishing any of today's beltholders. In my mind, this says a lot about HW boxing in this era.
the_churn is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #57
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi
box03, how you look affects how you perform. If you don't look fit (with obvious fats around the body), you don't expect them to be quick and to have good stamina. That's why I said they don't even look fit. Hence, you don't expect them to perform well.
I see what your saying, but I got a better body than half the top 10 Heavywieghts but there faster, stronger, and have more stamina than me. I would also put thousand down James toney would out run 90% of the posters on this site and would probably win, you cant judge a book by its cover.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 AM   #58
the_churn
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by box03
I see what your saying, but I got a better body than half the top 10 Heavywieghts but there faster, stronger, and have more stamina than me. I would also put thousand down James toney would out run 90% of the posters on this site and would probably win, you cant judge a book by its cover.
This is true. Look at Shannon Briggs v. past it Larry Holmes. Shannon may look great, but wouldn't stand a chance against even the Holmes that lost to Tyson.
the_churn is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 12:09 AM   #59
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_churn
This is true. Look at Shannon Briggs v. past it Larry Holmes. Shannon may look great, but wouldn't stand a chance against even the Holmes that lost to Tyson.
Briggs has a body of a greek statue but his stamina sucks, he cares more about looking good than actually performing good.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 AM   #60
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_churn
Prime Ray Mercer would have decent shot at demolishing any of today's beltholders. In my mind, this says a lot about HW boxing in this era.
Prime Ray Mercer gave Prime on near Prime Lennox all he could handle. Mercer was a beast and would give any hw fighter a tough fight. Granite chin, great jab, and good power. Unfortunately, his style does not lend itself to long careers.
KobeIsGod is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum