Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
ricardinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 259
Default Last night I watched the Sanchez vs Gomez match

I remember Sanchez telling Wilfredo that his sh*t talking went too far and that he was going to beat him so bad his own mother could not recognize him. As each round passed I could hardly look at Wilfredo's face without feeling nauseous.

Sanchez would tear into him with devastating effect. Destroying both Wilfredo's perfect record and his 32 ko streak. It was the classical quiet Mexican fighter dominating a big talking opponent.

Sanchez beat Danny Lopez by ko twice, Gomez by ko, and Azumah Nelson by KO.

Talent wise Sanchez was superior to Saldivar, Erik Morales, J.C. Chavez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Naseem Hamed, Fenech, Pac, and Juan Manuel Marquez.

It was sad to lose him so early as he had the potential to establish himself in other divisions as well.

The only fighter I rank above him at his weight is Pep.
ricardinho is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Last night I watched the Sanchez vs Gomez match

I have to admit it was a real one sided slaughter.

It was a real revelation: Nobody knew Sanchez was such a tiger and Gomez showed a lot of courage lasting eight rounds with all that facial damage
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardinho View Post
I remember Sanchez telling Wilfredo that his sh*t talking went too far and that he was going to beat him so bad his own mother could not recognize him. As each round passed I could hardly look at Wilfredo's face without feeling nauseous.

Sanchez would tear into him with devastating effect. Destroying both Wilfredo's perfect record and his 32 ko streak. It was the classical quiet Mexican fighter dominating a big talking opponent.

Talent wise Sanchez was superior to Saldivar, Erik Morales, J.C. Chavez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Naseem Hamed, Fenech, Pac, and Juan Manuel Marquez.

It was sad to lose him so early as he had the potential to establish himself in other divisions as well.

Nice post, and great avatar.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Gomez was at his best at 122 pounds........ Gomez never recaptured his true form at weights of 126 to 130 pounds............. Sanchez was a big 126 pounder who would've eventually settled in at 140 pounds had he lived on...... Sanchez had Gomez' number.... Sanchez would always be too big and strong for Gomez in a prizefight......... Cheers..

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
ricardinho
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Nice post, and great avatar.
Thanks Teeto!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
ricardinho
Champion
East Side Guru

[YThttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYuN6YmH_jwYT]
Old 09-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Thanks Teeto!
You're welcome
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Gomez was at his best at 122 pounds........
This is like saying a smallish featherweight was really good at knocking out overweight bantamweights.
MrMarvel is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It's a shame that Wilfredo allowed himself to waver and dissipate in skill the way he did...if only he had remained focused, but maybe nothing he could do would have been enough against a fired up, cool Salvador Sanchez...kinda the wrong guy to piss off. Gomez was so awesome against Zarate...but he "flew too close to the sun" against Sanchez, who was awesome himself.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 1083

I still get chills whenever I watch this fight!!!
(Gives me PRIDE!, R.I.P. "Chava")
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This is an awesome fight and such a dynamic performance too. Whenever i watch it i come out with even more respect for both warriors.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #12
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
I have to admit it was a real one sided slaughter.

It was a real revelation: Nobody knew Sanchez was such a tiger and Gomez showed a lot of courage lasting eight rounds with all that facial damage

Gomez had lost those great legs of his by the time of the bout though. And you'd better be at 100% if the opponent is named Salvidor Sanchez.

Everyone seems to forget that Bazooka had what, 14 defenses and all by ko going into that bout? It just seemed like there was always terrific matches taking place in those early 80's and the loser wanted to know when the rematch was. You had Pedroza and at 130===Arguello/Limon/Chacon/Boza Edwards. Tough tough time to try and go undefeated or to cherry pick like the way things are done in recent times.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #13
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Great fight huh ? I remember the first time I watched it, it was one of my very first boxing fight actually. I enjoyed it so much back then and, of course, became a fan of both fighters.
Sal was masterful in that fight. He took punches that would have KO'd many fighters of our era. But I was astonished at one particular thing in Salvador Sanchez. His ability to keep his composure even after taking bombs from one of the most powerful featherweight (well former bantam it's true). I never saw a fighter like that ever.

His legacy was already solid at this point, I love to imagine what kind of boxer (I am quite sure we didn't even saw the best of him back then) and what career he would have done had he been alive. Greatest mexican boxer in my eyes.

Rest in peace champion ...
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Salvador Sanchez was indeed the greatest Mexican Champion in my humble opinion.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Danny
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Very good post indeed! I too believe Sanchez would have gone on to become champ at 130lbs & possibly even 135lbs! I'm not saying he would have remained undefeated, there was some real talented, proper fighters around at that time!

Despite the obvious size difference at the time, a great match up would have been Arguello-Sanchez. I do believe it was talked about at some point when Sanchez was boxing!

IMO, H2H, a very strong case can be made for Salvador being the best FW of all time. Obviously, he wasn't around long enough for us to know for certain, but for a guy who was 23 he was highly experienced & knew all about the big stage, fighting the best, etc.

You just do not get fighters like Salvador anymore!

Making 126lbs was becoming increasingly difficult for Sanchez & a move up to SFW & beyond was inevitable! It would have been fascinating to see him try reign supreme at higher weight classes.

One of my all-time favs. He could box, punch, practically do it all! He was perfect, but he was great, no doubt about that at all imo!
Danny is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum