Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Holyfield...Did he just have Tyson's number?

Evander did what he had to do with fighters that he was suposed to expose, Buster Douglas (impressive) and he looked good coming up vs Michael Dokes...but he was having heart issues and stamina problems during the Bowe,Moorer and Beans fights..He fought even in 3 fight with Ruiz...he did not look so great vs Foreman and Holmes...he did not look impressive in his fight prior to Tyson vs Middleweight Cyz but his best wins were Tyson and Douglas , The Lewis fights Lewis won safely and he did have a good fight over the beatable but had to stop Mercer and then a faded Holyfeild was stopped by body shots and James Toney...If we remove the Tyson fights...where would he fit in on an ATG list and are we overating those wins?
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Holyfield...Did he just have Tyson's number?

Thats a tough question because there was a huge difference between the Tyson that would have fought him in the early 90's and the fighter that Holy did fight in 96. Not only was Tyson off for 3 years, and Holy was active, but he had not been prepared physically to fight a long tough fight. His timing was horrible, he didnt punch in combination, and had fought a combined 7 rounds of boxing with basically no real solid trainer in his corner. From his first fight with McNeeley to the fight with Bruno he was technically a mess.
That being said Holyfield was a great fighter and he would have always made it an interesting fight, but I dont think he could have ever beaten the best Tyson. When they were supposed to fight, Holyfield was smaller, more of a slugger, and Tyson was defensively and physically stronger overall.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

As far as his status removing the Tyson fights, I dont think it would have mattered. He beat some solid guys and his fights with Douglas, Bowe, Foreman, Holmes and a few others definitely put him in ATG status long before Tyson.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
GABBY
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
As far as his status removing the Tyson fights, I dont think it would have mattered. He beat some solid guys and his fights with Douglas, Bowe, Foreman, Holmes and a few others definitely put him in ATG status long before Tyson.

I agree 90s was a good time for holyfield , Dokes ko, Stewart ko, Douglas ko, Forman looked massive but couldent stop him, cooper, holmes, bowe 2 out of 3 wins, mercer they were all good names , thought he was robbed against Valuev , definitely ATG .
GABBY is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Prime Tyson vs Holyfield is a very interesting fight, imo. I think Tyson edges out a close one on the cards, but I wouldn't be surprised if Holyfield battles to a win.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I simply think Holyfield was better than Tyson - full stop.

Tyson's career is a great story, but when you analyse him in full, there are a lot of question marks hanging over him.

His opponents in his title winning (and unifying) run weren't exactly stellar (though he did KO pretty much all of them) and the first non-terrified man to step in the ring with him knocked him out.

He also lost to the best two fighters he ever faced, spent three of his prime years in the slammer and lacked the mental fortitude and ability to overcome adversity that all the genuinely great fighters have.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3424

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Thats a tough question because there was a huge difference between the Tyson that would have fought him in the early 90's and the fighter that Holy did fight in 96. Not only was Tyson off for 3 years, and Holy was active, but he had not been prepared physically to fight a long tough fight. His timing was horrible, he didnt punch in combination, and had fought a combined 7 rounds of boxing with basically no real solid trainer in his corner. From his first fight with McNeeley to the fight with Bruno he was technically a mess.
That being said Holyfield was a great fighter and he would have always made it an interesting fight, but I dont think he could have ever beaten the best Tyson. When they were supposed to fight, Holyfield was smaller, more of a slugger, and Tyson was defensively and physically stronger overall.
Couldn't agree more with that.
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Answering the question, did Holyfield have Tyson's number?

I don't think so. Holy fought a Tyson who was nothing like what he was. I am sure that a prime Tyson would have beaten Holyfield. Evander had a great chin and heart. But this means that this fight would have been really ugly --- from Evander's perspective.

And yes, even without the Tyson fights Evander would be counted as a really fine champion.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

He absolutely did. If Tyson was indeed "Alexander", then Holyfield was promiscuous drunken orgies with both ***es.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He's a christian though!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Evander Holyfield would of beat any version of Mike Tyson.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Evander Holyfield would of beat any version of Mike Tyson.
bullshit. i admire holyfields heart. and i am not taken away anything from his wins over tyson but hell freezes over before a prime holyfield beats the 80ties tyson
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Or early 90's Tyson.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

A prime late-80s Tyson beats Holyfield imo. Holyfield did really well to beat him when he did though.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

Holyfield only beat Tyson by clinching and headbutting. If the referees in their fights didn't allow Holy to do that so much, things may have turned out differently.
Hydraulix is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum