Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

People seem to say his win over Marquez means nothing due to Marquez stepping up 2 weight classess.

But shound't he be given more credit. Because some fighters have stepped up more than 2 weight divisions and beat the number #1.

Henry Armstrong jumped from Featherweight to Welterweight, and defeated number #1 Welterweight Barney Ross. Amstrong jumped up a amazing 4 weight divisions and beat Ross Up.

So as I've proven, little men can jump and beat bigger men, so maybe Mayweather should be given a little more credit. As he didnt let a man move up and defeat him.
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

So because some of the greatest fighters in the history of the sport have moved up to defeat the man at a higher weight, it should excuse Mayweather's performance against a less than great fighter who was past his prime and who Floyd outmatched in every possible way? That is really your logic? You're even more simple than I thought.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
So because some of the greatest fighters in the history of the sport have moved up to defeat the man at a higher weight, it should excuse Mayweather's performance against a less than great fighter who was past his prime and who Floyd outmatched in every possible way? That is really your logic? You're even more simple than I thought.

Correct. Unlike what some people have said on here, saying he was in his prime. Marquez wasn't even in his prime over the last 2 years or so. His prime was at featherweight.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
So because some of the greatest fighters in the history of the sport have moved up to defeat the man at a higher weight, it should excuse Mayweather's performance against a less than great fighter who was past his prime and who Floyd outmatched in every possible way? That is really your logic? You're even more simple than I thought.
No. All am saying is little men stepping up can be extremely dangerous and have had success in the past. Amstrong stepped up 2 more weights than Marquez and still beat Ross.

Marquez(Number 2 p4p) didnt even with a round when he stepped up to take on his best Welterweight in the world.

I think Mayweather deserves credit
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,917
vCash: 75
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Marquez is borderline great. But unlike Duran for instance, he had nothing to bring to the table at welter. The tiny advantage he had, Floyd bypassed by not hurting himself to make the weight. It was a gross mismatch.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Marquez is borderline great. But unlike Duran for instance, he had nothing to bring to the table at welter. The tiny advantage he had, Floyd bypassed by not hurting himself to make the weight. It was a gross mismatch.
He had more ring activivty than Mayweather, Mayweather handn't fought in 2 years, were Marquez had been fighting regulary.

I can tell you Ring rust can play a big part, i have boxed people who have been more active than myself, and it can play a big factor.

you only know things like this unless you've stepped in a ring and laced on a glove.
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingGlove1 View Post
No. All am saying is little men stepping up can be extremely dangerous and have had success in the past. Amstrong stepped up 2 more weights than Marquez and still beat Ross.

Marquez(Number 2 p4p) didnt even with a round when he stepped up to take on his best Welterweight in the world.

I think Mayweather deserves credit
Here's the difference:

Armstrong was in the heart of his prime against a fighter who wasn't too much larger than him, who happened to be at the very end of his ropes. Not to mention Armstrong held the styles advantage, as he usually did.

That is pretty much the exact opposite scenario in comparison to Saturday's fight. Marquez, who was not even a natural Lightweight, who was past his prime, who was comically smaller, was facing a prime (despite his coming off a lay-off) Welterweight in Floyd Mayweather, who held every physical and stylistic advantage possible.

You're taking a very simplistic viewpoint and trying to apply it to a situation where it doesn't fit. Yet again.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingGlove1 View Post
He had more ring activivty than Mayweather, Mayweather handn't fought in 2 years, were Marquez had been fighting regulary.

I can tell you Ring rust can play a big part, i have boxed people who have been more active than myself, and it can play a big factor.

you only know things like this unless you've stepped in a ring and laced on a glove.
You say you had 17 amateur fights. I had 22. So **** you and have a nice day.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 238
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Let's not forget that Mayweather started at and has fought at 130lbs for eight years and was coming off a 2 year lay off, while Marquez scored one spectacular performance after the other; Diaz KO, Casamayor TKO, Pacquiao (#1 p4p) as good as a draw....

Of course, when the question "How would Mayweather fare against Duran", no one will say that Mayweather has the size advantage, as he had against Marquez...
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

I've said it before but the win is comparable to certain levels to:

Monzon-Napoles
Hagler-Duran
Then there's Armstrong who had a few people come up in weight to make WW defenses against

The bigger man should win but there is the chance of the upset, the smaller man maybe faster with better stamina, all are decent but none defining wins
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
Let's not forget that Mayweather started at and has fought at 130lbs for eight years and was coming off a 2 year lay off, while Marquez scored one spectacular performance after the other; Diaz KO, Casamayor TKO, Pacquiao (#1 p4p) as good as a draw....

Of course, when the question "How would Mayweather fare against Duran", no one will say that Mayweather has the size advantage, as he had against Marquez...
You could see the huge size advantage in person when they fought. No arguments to the contrary involing Mayweather's starting weight hold any merit, because everyone who watched the fight saw the incredible difference in size and pretty much every other physical quality in Mayweather's favor. Honestly, what do you people think you're proving with these arguments when the fight is on film for anyone to view with their own eyes? Marquez was completely out-matched and fighting at a weight he was clearly incapable at. What he did at a lower weight has no consequence on how he would fare against Mayweather. I'm very surprised so many knowledgable posters were even giving Marquez a fleeting chance in this fight. It was clear as day what the outcome would be well beforehand, and even clearer once they actually stepped into the ring.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,917
vCash: 75
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

The smaller man may be faster? How was that ever going to happen with Floyd & Marquez. Good argument
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Marquez didnt make a good transition to 144. I understand why he took the fight, but he shouldnt have realistically. As for Mayweather he needs to step up and fight the best fighters out there at his weight. Hes still got some great fights in front of him that will do a lot for his legacy if he steps up and takes them.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

this fight was closer to something like Morales vs Raheem, or Khaosai Galaxy vs Yong-Kang Kim than Napoles vs Monzon imo.

I used to be a Mayweather advocate when he was more of a boxer-puncher at 130, but i've had little interest in him since the Castillo fights.For the most part since then, the safety first way he now fights has been done better and with more conviction and flair by most of the great defensive stylists of recent years.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,917
vCash: 75
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

James Toney, even with an inconsistent tenure at Light-Heavy, I would say has the stronger credentials than Floyd as he pulls off outlandish defensive slips against opponents that are 'live'. He takes shots clean on the chin against guys he is only fighting against due to being obese.

In his prime he beat Nunn, a better scalp than Corrales that's for sure.

The only reason Mayweather has been so consistently dazzling in his performances (and they haven't even been that most of the time) is because he picks fights carefully.

Mark my words, he'll fight Cory Spinks, soon.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013