Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Mayweather Deserve More Credit? (READ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
James Toney, even with an inconsistent tenure at Light-Heavy, I would say has the stronger credentials than Floyd as he pulls off outlandish defensive slips against opponents that are 'live'. He takes shots clean on the chin against guys he is only fighting against due to being obese.

In his prime he beat Nunn, a better scalp than Corrales that's for sure.

The only reason Mayweather has been so consistently dazzling in his performances (and they haven't even been that most of the time) is because he picks fights carefully.

Mark my words, he'll fight Cory Spinks, soon.
Spinks is fighting at middleweight isnt he? How is that going to happen. Noone would tune in for that fight either. Floyd will be forced to take on a name fighter if he wants to continue to make eight figure paydays. Mosley will most likely be next.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Spinks is fighting at middleweight isnt he? How is that going to happen. Noone would tune in for that fight either. Floyd will be forced to take on a name fighter if he wants to continue to make eight figure paydays. Mosley will most likely be next.
He's the IBF champ at 154. Trust me, that's the kinda' fight Floyd will go for, he can claim Spinks is a multi-weight champ etc etc and there was a rumour a few months ago.

If not, Berto. Going by what's happened thus far in his career it's safe to assume Floyd isn't going to take any massive chances.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #18
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
He's the IBF champ at 154. Trust me, that's the kinda' fight Floyd will go for, he can claim Spinks is a multi-weight champ etc etc and there was a rumour a few months ago.

If not, Berto. Going by what's happened thus far in his career it's safe to assume Floyd isn't going to take any massive chances.
I think all the fights are easy for him including Mosley. To me Cotto is the only one who has a shot at beating him. Judah beat Spinks and Mayweather beat Judah, so thats a fight I dont think would make it to Boxing after Dark, plus Don King would be involved which isnt going to happen on HBO.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #19
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Here's the difference:
Quote:
Armstrong was in the heart of his prime against a fighter who wasn't too much larger than him, who happened to be at the very end of his ropes. Not to mention Armstrong held the styles advantage, as he usually did.
No one knew going in thta Ross was nearing the end. Ross was on a 20 fight wins streak and coming off 2 stoppage wins, hardly past his prime.

Quote:
That is pretty much the exact opposite scenario in comparison to Saturday's fight. Marquez, who was not even a natural Lightweight, who was past his prime, who was comically smaller, was facing a prime (despite his coming off a lay-off) Welterweight in Floyd Mayweather, who held every physical and stylistic advantage possible.
Mayweather was in his prime at 130. Marquez wasnt that much past his best, as most thought he was robbed against Pac man only a year early and he was coming off two stoppage wins against two world class fighters who hadnt been stoped before.

Quote:
You're taking a very simplistic viewpoint and trying to apply it to a situation where it doesn't fit. Yet again.
Now both fights are similar, just that you dont want to give mayweather no credit.
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
I think all the fights are easy for him including Mosley. To me Cotto is the only one who has a shot at beating him. Judah beat Spinks and Mayweather beat Judah, so thats a fight I dont think would make it to Boxing after Dark, plus Don King would be involved which isnt going to happen on HBO.
Fair enough points, but Mosley I believe has the right mix of handspeed, chin, power, jab and mix in attack to be the hardest fight at 147 for Floyd.

P-Dub is without a doubt the hardest fight out there for him that is feasible.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
The smaller man may be faster? How was that ever going to happen with Floyd & Marquez. Good argument
Duran and Napoles were faster than there opponents and Marquez faster than most WWs not to mention his timing/accuracy
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Duran and Napoles were faster than there opponents and Marquez faster than most WWs not to mention his timing/accuracy
None of that was evident in this fight. Probably due to Floyds amazing skills, right?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #23
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
James Toney, even with an inconsistent tenure at Light-Heavy, I would say has the stronger credentials than Floyd as he pulls off outlandish defensive slips against opponents that are 'live'. He takes shots clean on the chin against guys he is only fighting against due to being obese.

In his prime he beat Nunn, a better scalp than Corrales that's for sure.

The only reason Mayweather has been so consistently dazzling in his performances (and they haven't even been that most of the time) is because he picks fights carefully.

Mark my words, he'll fight Cory Spinks, soon.
1.He will never fight Cory Spinks. Little reward, big risk.

2.Mayweather is a better fighter than James Toney and has accomplished more and has the better shoulder roll.

3.Well if Mayweather chooses opponents he dosent do a bad job
.Diego Corrales 33-0 #1 Super Feather Weight
.Jose Luis Castillo 45-4 #1 Lightweight x2
.Ricky Hatton 45-0 #1 Light Welter
.Oscar De La Hoya #1 Jr Middleweight
.JMM Number 2 P4P
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #24
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Fair enough points, but Mosley I believe has the right mix of handspeed, chin, power, jab and mix in attack to be the hardest fight at 147 for Floyd.

P-Dub is without a doubt the hardest fight out there for him that is feasible.
Its definitely an interesting fight. If Floyd is in fact in financial trouble, I see him taking another easy fight and then going for the Pac Cotto winner which will be the biggest purse for him. I think deep down he wants Pac and knows he can beat him easily and that was one of the main reasons for picking Marquez. The biggest issue is Arum and by beating the guy that gave Pac some serious trouble it establishes Mayweather as being the main guy in that fight. Undefeated and shut out the guy that gave him his toughest fights. Thats why these guys have had the same opponents over the last few years. Its all posturing for supremacy in both negotiations and P4P status with an eventual megafight down the road.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingGlove1 View Post

Because some fighters have stepped up more than 2 weight divisions and beat the number #1.
How many have done that?

Quote:
Henry Armstrong jumped from Featherweight to Welterweight, and defeated number #1 Welterweight Barney Ross. Amstrong jumped up a amazing 4 weight divisions and beat Ross Up.
And the whole reason that is considered arguably the greatest and most shocking feat in boxing history, and Armstrong is considered arguably the greatest fighter in boxing history, is because of the near-impossibility of a fighter jumping straight up that much in weight and toppling the top man there.

Unless Mayweather was fighting Armstrong, he doesn't deserve much credit for beating a guy under those circumstances.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
1.He will never fight Cory Spinks. Little reward, big risk.

2.Mayweather is a better fighter than James Toney and has accomplished more and has the better shoulder roll.

3.Well if Mayweather chooses opponents he dosent do a bad job
.Diego Corrales 33-0 #1 Super Feather Weight
.Jose Luis Castillo 45-4 #1 Lightweight x2
.Ricky Hatton 45-0 #1 Light Welter
.Oscar De La Hoya #1 Jr Middleweight
.JMM Number 2 P4P
Corrales as forced to come DOWN in weight after expressing previous discomfort at making 130. Was also due to be sentenced just a few weeks later for domestic violence so was hardly in the best place. I personally think Floyd beats him under any circumstances, but to me honesst that list you've put up there is hardly making me change my mind. Look at the resumes of some of the top fighters.

Michael Nunn 36-0 regarded as top 5 P4p
Mike McCallum 41-1-1 top five P4P.
Iran Barkley 30-7 former Hearns conquer for IBF 168lb title
Vaily Jirov 31-0 At Cruiser, undefeated.
Holyfield-ATG two-weight champ, at HEAVY.

See, this looks great but it's not telling the whole story. It's leving out the fact that the McCallum fights were close and are still debated about now, it's leaving out the trouncing to Jones, the bad stay at Light-Heavy, his lack of dedication and bad attitude. How Holyfield was waaaaay past prime.

Just like you're leaving out Floyd fighting Gatti and Mitchell, fighting Hatton who had already seen as poor at Welter, fighting Baldomir just because he beat Judah when Margarito was there.

Works both ways.

P.S I'd believe he had the better shoulder roll if he implemented it against people that could actually hit him back. Like Emmanuel Augustus
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #27
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
How many have done that?

And the whole reason that is considered arguably the greatest and most shocking feat in boxing history, and Armstrong is considered arguably the greatest fighter in boxing history, is because the near-impossibility of a fighter jumping straight up that much in weight and toppling the top man there.

Unless Mayweather was fighting Armstrong, he doesn't deserve much credit for beating a guy under those circumstances.
Greb against Tunney. Walker against Flowers

You make some good points there. But still I feel Mayweather desveres credit
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

i gave Floyd huge credit for it i expected Marquez to give him some trouble but no he shut him out and dominated him spectacularry

im giving him credit for the win
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #29
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
Let's not forget that Mayweather started at and has fought at 130lbs for eight years and was coming off a 2 year lay off, while Marquez scored one spectacular performance after the other; Diaz KO, Casamayor TKO, Pacquiao (#1 p4p) as good as a draw....

Huh?
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #30
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Greb against Tunney. Walker against Flowers
Neither of those guys were jumping up in weight.

Greb was already one of the leading LHWs at that time, and had even fought at HW. Also, Tunney was not the #1 rated guy at that weight, Carpentier was.

Walker had been competing at MW for some time before fighting Flowers, and had even fought for the title once before.
My2Sense is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum