Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Did Greb have as much of a dark streak like Ketchel?

From what I've read, Stan could be pretty mean spirited at times and cruel whether it was inside the ring or out. Because so much controversy surrounds Greb (was he dirty? was he a hellraiser? or is it all BS?) did he or did he not have the same dark streak his predecessor Ketchel had?
MrBumboclart is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Did Greb have as much of a dark streak like Ketchel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBumboclart View Post
From what I've read, Stan could be pretty mean spirited at times and cruel whether it was inside the ring or out. Because so much controversy surrounds Greb (was he dirty? was he a hellraiser? or is it all BS?) did he or did he not have the same dark streak his predecessor Ketchel had?
Nothing that I've ever read. Even his opponents had good things to say about him. He was supposedly a fun, energetic guy who was always on the move. He was also a devoted husband (up until his wife dies tragically) and father.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

Ketchel strikes me as being crazy mean...but his fight film against Papke shows alot of ring smarts by playing to his own strengths.
dpw417 is online now  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I always heard he killed at least one guy and shot someone else just for fun.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Having grown up in Grand Rapids I can attest that there are a lot of grim stories about Ketchel. Even the passage of a century hasn't softened his reputation. He's such a seemingly evil, dark figure that he isn't perceived as a hero or celebrated figure in the town he called home.

He wasn't merely behaved like like Mayorga or Mayweather. He was frightening and palpably evil, even moreso than Tyson or Duran or Liston. In terms of sheer pathos, I think only Monzon comes close among the all time greats.

Ketchel is probably deep in the bowels of hell, punching Satan in the gonads right now.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post
Having grown up in Grand Rapids I can attest that there are a lot of grim stories about Ketchel. Even the passage of a century hasn't softened his reputation. He's such a seemingly evil, dark figure that he isn't perceived as a hero or celebrated figure in the town he called home.

He wasn't merely behaved like like Mayorga or Mayweather. He was frightening and palpably evil, even moreso than Tyson or Duran or Liston. In terms of sheer pathos, I think only Monzon comes close among the all time greats.

Ketchel is probably deep in the bowels of hell, punching Satan in the gonads right now.
haha Love that closing line

What local tales have you heard Funnyman? Would be interested to hear the full extent - even the one's you don't think could be true - give us everything you got would be really interested to hear - thinking about hunting down some books on Ketchel too - any idea which might be the ebst ones to go for?
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I have also heard that he was accused of molesting little girl, maybe a relative. Any one have any setails about this?
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBumboclart View Post
I've read that Greb was a nice guy popular and friendly. Ketchel had a few screws loose ,imo, he carried a loaded revolver and was not above firing it when the mood took him.
A sentimental man ,particularly about his Mother, I've read there was a very apparent streak of cruelty in him.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Harry Greb once gave a cop some smash mouth and more or less got away with it. Maybe everyone agreed the cop deserved it??
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post

If he was in hell, his arms probably not be able to punch and Satan would be using his gonads as a peanut bag ....Satan does not fight fair and as evil as Stanley may have been I think he met his master
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Ketchel was never softened by children or by love in his life in the same way Harry Greb was.

But neither one of them had a pathology as savage as Billy Papke. That mother****er was crazy.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

All i know about ketchels out of ring antics is that he liked to sleep with other guys wives. Other than that he was known to be an asshole or something?
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Some talk of "a bad crowd" in the build up to the second Papke fight which morphed into newspaper reports about his using opium not long after that. He was a bit of a wild man for sure.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Can I get some Papke stories as well
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
JWSoats
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Long before my time, in Brick, New Jersey, there was a very large man who claimed to have beaten Stanley Ketchel on the banks of a local creek. He claimed that Ketchel hurt his hand when he struck the man's body - who was wearing a coat filled with walnuts in the lining. The man then knocked Ketchel "stiffer than a stilliard!"

Of course, nobody believed this tale, even though the man told it as though he himself really believed it. It was considered just another of many tales in local folklore, such as German U-boats being seen in this same creek during WWII with the periscopes hidden by orange crates (a creek I waded across in my teen years).

And Bummy, I agree that Ketchel would have met his master in Satan. But according to the book of Revelation (Rev. 20:10), Satan isn't in Hell yet, so the Ketchel-Satan FOTC is still future.
JWSoats is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum