Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
jexdd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default The Hatton / Tszyu night

So this is Hatton's crown jewel fight thus far in his pretty lenghtly career .. What's the common consenus? I remember a very ugly, catch and grab fight where Hatton used everything to gain a unfair advantage - minus wraping barbwire around his gloves. His cling-on & bang-away style was as bad in this fight as the last few rounds of his Urango night.. The intentional low blow he laid after the break was a foul only second to Zab laying into Mayweather... actually it was worse b/c Tszyu has always been a class act and no way deserved it. The ref obviously gave Tszyu time to recover but no penalty to the Hitman.

This fight was more of a rugby skirmish than boxing. Yet he still makes these audacious comments about PBF being boring/unwatchable when this fight is hardly a FOTY. I really hope Mayweather doesnt fall prey to these IMO lowbrow tactics and wins every minute of every round.
jexdd is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Ray_Robinson
G.O.A.T 175-19-6-2.

vCash: 75
Default Re: The Hatton / Tszyu night

Tszyu was past his prime and Hatton knew he could wear him down with his clinch and punch style, credit to Hatton for knowing how to beat Tszyu then going out and doing it though. Hatton is no where near as boring PBF and I hope he beats him, though its unlikely.
Ray_Robinson is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
nulty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 566

I saw and enthralling battle. The hatton low blow came after Kostya had gotten away with repeated low blows (hatton in his book says he throw that shot knowing the referee couldn't take a point given he hadn't warned Kostya.)

It's noticable that Kostya hasn't moaned and says he was beaten by the better fighter.
nulty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I thought it was a great fight to watch, Hatton stuck close to Zoo to try to force him to fight a decent pace and nullify the right cross.

It was certainly a better fight than Mayweather-Oscar..
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

He was so past his best that he had just wiped out Mitchell without breaking a sweat and EVERYONE here picked him to win inside 3 rounds. Then he loses in a very similar manner to how he picked up his other loss...basically dragged deep and run ragged and suddenly he becomes old and shot.

The man himself maintains he was beaten by the better fighter on the night. But hey revisionism is great.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Dantes
ESB Magnate
ESB Senior Member

I'm a huge Tszyu fan, and underated Hatton drastically. That fight was very intense, and a lot of people overlook the punishment Hatton took to get to KT and work his inside.

It was as simple as Hatton wanted it more and took it from Tszyu. As for KT quitting on the stool, it seemed right at the time- sometimes a fights not worth your life. Look at Mclellan.
Dantes is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
sonny73
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by jexdd
So this is Hatton's crown jewel fight thus far in his pretty lenghtly career .. What's the common consenus? I remember a very ugly, catch and grab fight where Hatton used everything to gain a unfair advantage - minus wraping barbwire around his gloves. His cling-on & bang-away style was as bad in this fight as the last few rounds of his Urango night.. The intentional low blow he laid after the break was a foul only second to Zab laying into Mayweather... actually it was worse b/c Tszyu has always been a class act and no way deserved it. The ref obviously gave Tszyu time to recover but no penalty to the Hitman.

This fight was more of a rugby skirmish than boxing. Yet he still makes these audacious comments about PBF being boring/unwatchable when this fight is hardly a FOTY. I really hope Mayweather doesnt fall prey to these IMO lowbrow tactics and wins every minute of every round.
And yet its still better than any one of Mayweathers or Cottos wins if you believe the ring magazine ratings or the Australian media or the European media lol.
sonny73 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deo volente
I'm a huge Tszyu fan, and underated Hatton drastically. That fight was very intense, and a lot of people overlook the punishment Hatton took to get to KT and work his inside.

It was as simple as Hatton wanted it more and took it from Tszyu. As for KT quitting on the stool, it seemed right at the time- sometimes a fights not worth your life. Look at Mclellan.
Well said!

Tszyu was still capable, but he guaged everything correctly imo.
He guaged that he was getting beaten down and worn down by the younger hurgrier fighter......and with a family to go home too, at that point in a great fighters career, you weigh heavily whether further punishment is really necessary.
divac is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
gatorage
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Tszyu wasn't the same fighter that stepped into the ring against Mitchell in the rematch for mine. For mine it's a fight that Tszyu maybe could have won but shows two fighters at two very different places in their careers.

Tszyu had come off one of his highest profile wins in the Mitchell rematch, started talking retirement and big money only fights. His trainer tells him to retire. Instead Tszyu signs a further two fight deal. He's thinking a tune-up and mentions De La Hoya and Gatti. Moneytime.

Hatton's camp realises this is the chance of a lifetime. Temp an aging champ whose motivation is a big paycheque to sign a fight 1) in manchester 2) at a strange time 3) with a local ref who is clearly on Hatton's side

I take nothing away from Hatton here, Tszyu signed up but seemed happy to have every condition against him. Tszyu was over-confident and I'm sure his promoter was telling him he'll knock out the guy in four rounds and they'll be talking with Oscar about venues.

Tszyu has a reasonable training camp, but needs to wear a sweatsuit for the week before the fight cause of weight issues, fails to make weight on the first attempt, worrying for a fitness fanatic, and looks unfocused in comparison to his last few fights.

First three rounds Hatton nearly pulls Tszyu's right arm off, leads with his head (best 'punch' of the fight is a Hatton headbutt that knocks Tszyu back into the ropes), clinches, rabbit punches, wrestles and a decidely worrying point for Tszyu is Hatton nodding at times to the ref when he wants to break up a clinch. Tszyu is up against it.

For his part, Tszyu fights dumb. He is happy to try and fight on the inside with Hatton thinking he will beat the guy at his own game. His corner tells him to create some distance, keep Hatton off with a stiff jab and throw the right more. Tszyu doesn't. His ego has got the better of him.

End of round four Tszyu suddenly realises he's getting tired. Actually think that Tszyu also knocked Hatton down from a bodypunch although it was ruled low. Hatton certainly doesn't act like it was low. Round five he starts trying to get some distance and round six lands the jab better. Probably his best two rounds of the fight, but he's breathing heavily from an open mouth and his straight right has barely been sighted. I felt at this stage of the fight, Tszyu has had a realisation that Hatton is really here to fight.

Tszyu has expended way too much energy at the start of the fight, isn't throwing the right, and looks absolutely exhausted. He's competitive but as the rounds go on Hatton looks like he's getting stronger while Tszyu continues to fade. I'll get hammered here for this comment but for mine you can see that Tszyu is the better and more accurate boxer but his stamina is just not there and he can't keep Hatton off him.

The low-blow in the ninth, one of the hardest I can recall seeing, pretty much seals the deal for Hatton. Anyone who says it was just Hatton paying Tszyu back is biased. It was clearly a blow from a fighter who knows the ref isn't going to take away a point. Home town advantage.

The corner asks Tszyu at the end of the tenth whether he wants to stop. Tszyu doesn't say anything. He looks dazed and exhausted. Gets beat up in round eleven, trainer Lewis stops the fight, Tszyu doesn't protest.

Tszyu says he was beaten by the better fighter. His trainer Lewis says 'We were an old fighter in the ring tonight. It's time to retire.'

Tszyu retires.

Hatton's camp says 'We got Tszyu at the right time' (an admittance they knew the guy was at the end of his career) and then say 'There will be no rematch.'

It was an ugly fight that favoured Hatton and I personally would have liked to have seen it held in America but at the end of the day it was Tszyu's choice as much as Hatton's. He knew what he was doing and props to him for showing absolute class in losing. I don't think I've seen such a graceful person in defeat. If anyone could have used some excuses Tszyu had them in handfuls and could have yelled for a rematch.

Harris should take a leaf out of Tszyu's book.

Anyway, I've written too much.
gatorage is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

A very good and very dirty fight. Hatton was the better man that night. He was so determined and took some big punches to get at Tszyu. His best/defining moment so far.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorage
Tszyu wasn't the same fighter that stepped into the ring against Mitchell in the rematch for mine. For mine it's a fight that Tszyu maybe could have won but shows two fighters at two very different places in their careers.

Tszyu had come off one of his highest profile wins in the Mitchell rematch, started talking retirement and big money only fights. His trainer tells him to retire. Instead Tszyu signs a further two fight deal. He's thinking a tune-up and mentions De La Hoya and Gatti. Moneytime.

Hatton's camp realises this is the chance of a lifetime. Temp an aging champ whose motivation is a big paycheque to sign a fight 1) in manchester 2) at a strange time 3) with a local ref who is clearly on Hatton's side

I take nothing away from Hatton here, Tszyu signed up but seemed happy to have every condition against him. Tszyu was over-confident and I'm sure his promoter was telling him he'll knock out the guy in four rounds and they'll be talking with Oscar about venues.

Tszyu has a reasonable training camp, but needs to wear a sweatsuit for the week before the fight cause of weight issues, fails to make weight on the first attempt, worrying for a fitness fanatic, and looks unfocused in comparison to his last few fights.

First three rounds Hatton nearly pulls Tszyu's right arm off, leads with his head (best 'punch' of the fight is a Hatton headbutt that knocks Tszyu back into the ropes), clinches, rabbit punches, wrestles and a decidely worrying point for Tszyu is Hatton nodding at times to the ref when he wants to break up a clinch. Tszyu is up against it.

For his part, Tszyu fights dumb. He is happy to try and fight on the inside with Hatton thinking he will beat the guy at his own game. His corner tells him to create some distance, keep Hatton off with a stiff jab and throw the right more. Tszyu doesn't. His ego has got the better of him.

End of round four Tszyu suddenly realises he's getting tired. Actually think that Tszyu also knocked Hatton down from a bodypunch although it was ruled low. Hatton certainly doesn't act like it was low. Round five he starts trying to get some distance and round six lands the jab better. Probably his best two rounds of the fight, but he's breathing heavily from an open mouth and his straight right has barely been sighted. I felt at this stage of the fight, Tszyu has had a realisation that Hatton is really here to fight.

Tszyu has expended way too much energy at the start of the fight, isn't throwing the right, and looks absolutely exhausted. He's competitive but as the rounds go on Hatton looks like he's getting stronger while Tszyu continues to fade. I'll get hammered here for this comment but for mine you can see that Tszyu is the better and more accurate boxer but his stamina is just not there and he can't keep Hatton off him.

The low-blow in the ninth, one of the hardest I can recall seeing, pretty much seals the deal for Hatton. Anyone who says it was just Hatton paying Tszyu back is biased. It was clearly a blow from a fighter who knows the ref isn't going to take away a point. Home town advantage.

The corner asks Tszyu at the end of the tenth whether he wants to stop. Tszyu doesn't say anything. He looks dazed and exhausted. Gets beat up in round eleven, trainer Lewis stops the fight, Tszyu doesn't protest.

Tszyu says he was beaten by the better fighter. His trainer Lewis says 'We were an old fighter in the ring tonight. It's time to retire.'

Tszyu retires.

Hatton's camp says 'We got Tszyu at the right time' (an admittance they knew the guy was at the end of his career) and then say 'There will be no rematch.'

It was an ugly fight that favoured Hatton and I personally would have liked to have seen it held in America but at the end of the day it was Tszyu's choice as much as Hatton's. He knew what he was doing and props to him for showing absolute class in losing. I don't think I've seen such a graceful person in defeat. If anyone could have used some excuses Tszyu had them in handfuls and could have yelled for a rematch.

Harris should take a leaf out of Tszyu's book.

Anyway, I've written too much.
You say you take nothing away from Hatton, but then proceed to give out every excuse in the book on Tszyu's behalf....

In all honesty, the fact the Tszyu has stayed away from the ring, shows me that he was content with his effort.

My guess is that if Tsyzu was'nt happy with his effort for whatever reason, he would have wanted to correct it.
.....but I've got to believe with the way he comported himself before and after, that he was happy with the effort and is going to leave it at that!
divac is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #12
gatorage
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

'You say you take nothing away from Hatton, but then proceed to give out every excuse in the book on Tszyu's behalf....'

Yep. True. Can't argue it.
gatorage is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:47 AM   #13
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

excellent fight.

2 bulls meeting in ring centre.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #14
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jexdd

i do not think he can as mayweather is more tricky to pin down , but i hope hatton employs those self same tactics again v mayweather .
sean is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 AM   #15
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224

Quote:
2) at a strange time
it was 2am for both of them.

worst.excuse.ever.
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top