Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Mexican greats on Arreola's chances. Chavez, Cuevas, Gonzlaez, Morales, Olivares, Z

Julio Cesar Chavez:
“It is always good that a fellow countryman tries to accomplish some feat in boxing. If Arreola defeats Klitschko, he will go down in history as one of the big surprises.”

Pipino Cuevas:
“It is a great opportunity and it should be taken advantage of. I hope Arreola wins. He has a hard punch, and he cannot be ruled out. But the current champion, Klitschko, has more power in his fists than any other fighter. It is a very tough fight for Arreola, but if he wins, all the success will be for him.”

“We will be paying a lot of attention to what Arreola does against Klitschko. I find it very difficult for Chris to win this bout, however we should not forget he is an undefeated fighter, and he has a hard punch.”

Erik “El Terrible” Morales:
“It is a real event to Mexican boxing. Moreover if Cristobal wins the title, it will be the cherry on top of the cake in the history of Mexican boxing, as we have had great fighters in almost all the weight divisions, but in this one, which is the most difficult division in boxing, we had never had a great fighter.”

Ruben Olivares:
“The fact that boxers like Arreola have the opportunity to fight for the WBC World Title is very good, so that we know if he is capable of winning it or not. If Arreola wins, that will have a great impact on boxing, which is what we are waiting for. Arreola must show he has the balls, just like a real Mexican fighter does.”

Carlos Zarate:
“It seems to be a difficult bout for Arreola, but taking his record into account, he has probabilities to win, as Klitschko has already fought a lot. If Arreola wins, it will be something shocking. Imagine! The first Mexican to win a heavyweight world title. He could become an idol in Mexico like Raul

Rafael Ruelas:
“Based on the fights that I’ve seen, I think his chances are very good. He’s a strong-willed indivdual and it takes a lot of willpower and courage to go after a champion. I think that’s a quality he has along with the power in his hands, which will increase his chances tremendously.”
“I’ve seen many of their fights and I think Chris has got a very good chance. I think he’s going to surprise Klitschko. He is very, very strong and hits hard. This is a very important fight for the Mexican people because we have never had a heavyweight champion. This would put us further on the map and he knows that, so I think that motivation is going to help him push forward. I believe he’s got a great chance; I do. Not just a good chance, but a great chance!”
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Mexican greats on Arreola's chances. Chavez, Cuevas, Gonzlaez, Morales, Olivare

Oh yeah? Well, just ask all the Ukrainian boxing greats who THEY think is gonna win....
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Mexican greats on Arreola's chances. Chavez, Cuevas, Gonzlaez, Morales, Olivare

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Oh yeah? Well, just ask all the Ukrainian boxing greats who THEY think is gonna win....
That won't take long
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
dabox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

hahaha maybe mcvey
should more research on russian/ukrainian boxing greats lol

people like valery popenchenko.....and i doubt any of the interviewed fighters were better this man
dabox is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
That won't take long
Old 09-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Not a wee bit prejudiced are these Mexican greats?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Biased perhaps but none of them actually chose Arreola to win the match-up. I guess that just shows you how little people think of his chances.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Hey most people root with there hearts and there is nothing wrong with National pride.....I think Vitali represents fitness and condition and Areola a large appetite
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
That won't take long
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Hey most people root with there hearts and there is nothing wrong with National pride.....I think Vitali represents fitness and condition and Areola a large appetite

I'd like to be persuaded to sit up and watch this fight. At the moment, i'm passing.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Most Mexicans think Arreola is a long shot.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sadly, he wouldn't have been such a longshot if he had only managed to whip himself into shape for this opportunity against an aging champion!
djanders is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danders View Post
Sadly, he wouldn't have been such a long shot if he had only managed to whip himself into shape for this opportunity against an aging champion!
Vitali is 38, but a few months ago he looked in his mid 30's.

Age has a way of catching up on athletes, though I suspect Vitali still has " it ", and can keep his crown until age 40.

Last edited by Mendoza; 09-27-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
heehoo
TIMEXICAH!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Most Mexicans think Arreola is a long shot.
Heck, I myself am Mexican, and I feel Arreola has a huge mountain to climb.
heehoo is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #15
Jaws
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Biased perhaps but none of them actually chose Arreola to win the match-up. I guess that just shows you how little people think of his chances.
+1

If you read them closely, they all obviously WANT him to win, but most of them are saying it is a long shot.

And this is from the people on HIS side.

Sidenote: Is anyone else getting tired of the "I fight for my country!" shtick? I think it is more played out than ever these days. Not saying you can't be great to your fans/heritage, but some of these guys play it out like they are "sacrificing themselves for their country", which is a load of crap.
Jaws is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum