P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: 175 lb 2nd Round-Ezzard Charles vs Roy Jones Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
You thick cunt it's a random draw
Terse, and to the point I think..

Don't you just love the English language?
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Terse, and to the point I think..

Don't you just love the English language?
He said exactly the same thing in one of Pater's Middleweight threads. What a nob.

And yes I do, especially the way I use it
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

You made me laugh Shakespeare .
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
you made me laugh shakespeare .
:d
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post

Jones has the absolutely correct style for beating Charles, a rythym-breaking style where the opponent's own rythym is not compromised. Jones could out-box Charles for huge swathes of this fight in my opinion.

On the other hand, Charles is an excellent, compact puncher who is unquestionably capable of stopping Jones. My own opinion is that Jones's chin is suspect and his late career vulnerability was nothing to do with weight-draining, but maybe i'm wrong and Jones could get out of a tough round with Charles. Based upon the chance i'm wrong i'll plump for Jones on a decision.
Great post. I'm sticking with the safer pick with Charles. I like his power at LHW and feel he can get Jones out of their. In a 12 round contest it's a close one to call and I'd favor a Charles SD but in a 15 round contest I have Charles winning a late TKO.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #21
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Charles had too much power for Jones who would be the faster fighter but its a matter of time Ezzard would land the right followed by the hook and it would be the begining of the end for Jones
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #22
Wu-Gambino
ESB Swordsman
ESB Jr Member

Charles would get to him late. I think Jones is a very problematic opponent at 175 but that doesn't change the fact that Charles was leagues ahead of anyone Roy faced at the weight. Charles would be the most lethal puncher Jones would have faced throughout his entire career, and I don't know how the latter would have fared against that level of technical skill and power. Jones was supremely fast and would undoubtedly steal rounds through his sheer athletic talent, but I'm fairly confident that somewhere down the line Charles sets something up and capitalizes. Charles's ring intelligence and incredible will to win inevitably sees him through.
Wu-Gambino is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #23
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Charles would shut him down the way he did to Burley(twice) and then win either a lopsided decision, or (if Roy gets brave) a KO at some point.
What he said. Charles by KO. Too skillful, too experienced, too good.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #24
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I'm probably the biggest appreciaters of Jones ability on this forum, I think few would beat him at 175 in his prime but Charles is 1 of those very few. Charles has speed and athleticism to live with Jones super human ability in those facets. He was a straighter sharper shooter, great 1-2, and timing plus rangier and this would help him neutralise Jones speed. His workrate, ability to press and rough style on the inside may drag Jones into the trenches at times. I see Jones taking early rounds but Charles taking over mid-late to win a UD or late stoppage.

Bad draw for Jones, I'd pick him over Spinks, Tunney, Moore, Greb but not Charles
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #25
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i also like charles in this match-up.those slashing left hooks..........awesome
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #26
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
15 rounds, no reason, no vote

Note to forum members; the other four matchups need more votes! If you have a favourite make sure he has a chance by stating your claim for him to be victor (in particular, Galindez vs Loughran, a very interesting matchup which has about three votes thus far )

This will be heartbreaking for some. Two ESB favourites here and both fighters match up extremely well head to head (since the elimination of Spinks and Foster I think Jones stands more of a shake since so many people have disdain for his punch resistance) but Charles was a serious puncher and a fantastic boxer, can Jones outbox one of the greatest of all time?

Will be interesting this one. I've already made up my mind but won't comment yet

Charles to me hit too hard for Jones.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #27
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Charles by a mid round knockout...for the same reasons as Robinson over Jones...I don't care that he was gifted...but quality opponents were the exception, not the norm for Jones, and this man Charles would be another kettle of fish all together for RJJ. Charles was TOUGHER and used to fighting animals, and showed his gut especially, AFTER his prime by taking it for 15 rounds with Rocky Marciano...who would have put Jones in the hospital, BTW. It would have boiled down to a "do-or-die" ending of fight, again just as Robinson would have done, by an exhibition of raw power, "old school style" that would have overwhelmed Jones. This was, also, the lightheavyweight edition of Ezzard Charles, at his very best.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #28
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Charles has everything and more that Jones can throw his way. I believe it would start out fast, a battle of jabs with Jones firing a salvo or two and getting immediately countered, but harder. The hurt comes much later as Charles combos start getting to jones until he finally succumbs. Charles TKO14 over Jones.

Scartissue
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #29
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Charles will be able to establish his jab early on and set up Jones for a mid rounds ko.
Jones was awesome from 160-168 lbs but was a little less overpowering at LH.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #30
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I have not been able to follow the tournament as closely as I would have liked, sadly, so I will have to compress my thoughts on its development thus far.

First, I am supremely bewildered hearing of Spinks' elimination. Who clipped him and what was the accompanying explanation? Please direct me to the thread, anyone.

Second, I disagree with the outcome for Foster-Loughran, but, since I acknowledge Tommy's great ability and have great respect for the opinions of my fellow posters, I will not go into further detail. I don't quite remember if I gave an analysis or indeed if I even contributed input to the thread at all, but needless to say, I think Foster should win.

On the topic at hand, I admit, I find myself a little lost here. I guess the safe choice is Charles-- by late knockout. However, it must be said that Jones' natural ability would be immensely troubling for the Cobra; not only his speed, but also the variety he incorporated in his combination punching. I see Roy nabbing early rounds by leaping in and then darting right out, making Charles miss. That sequence should repeat over and over in the outset. Roy would prove to be a difficult target for a time, staying well clear of the ropes and really just outboxing the great Ezzard Charles. The deciding factor for me here is Charles' ring intelligence. I don't believe Roy can capably defend himself against what here would be the smarter man's traps. I don't believe that Roy can continue to out-box Charles for the duration. If we go by what is statistically plausible, then it has to be Charles that's declared the winner.
Quick Cash is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum