Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
TKDfighterJoe
Oneshot Knockout
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Pre-breakfast training

I did a TKD camp at the olympic training center in colorado springs for a week. We always had our first conditioning practice before breakfast.

I always wondered about that. No one was specifically trying to cut weight But we did it every day.

Now I do it primarily to conserve time because I dont want to wake up, eat, digest, then go train when I can just go train.

Now I feel fine and energetic as any other time training at that time. But should'nt I feel weak? I mean, hasn't my metabolism technically not started? breakfast most important meal, etc...?
TKDfighterJoe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000
Default Re: Pre-breakfast training

You should be weak, as your body doesn't have much energy in it, in the form of carbs, which is why it's a perfect time to burn fat.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Goose
Russian oligarch
ESB Addict

vCash: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
You should be weak, as your body doesn't have much energy in it, in the form of carbs, which is why it's a perfect time to burn fat.
you will mostly burn muscles this way if you dont eat and fat too
Goose is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
TKDfighterJoe
Oneshot Knockout
ESB Full Member

I felt like I had a lot of energy

burning fat is not something im trying to do. I don't want to lose muscle either. It is just convenient for me to drink some oj, half a bannana, and go workout.

then I eat a ton when I get home.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
ToxicAngel

training in the morning after not having breakfast will help you burn fat but it's not good for you as an athelete. you are only hurting yourself by not eating! for efficient workouts you need carbs for energy and this is especially true for intense training (boxing) you run the risk of feeling really bad and dizzy by training hard and not having eaten anything before. if weight is an issue you can start dieting from lunchtime on.
ToxicAngel is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
TKDfighterJoe
Oneshot Knockout
ESB Full Member

no one in this thread is listening to a word I say, wtf?

I AM EATING THE SAME AMOUNT OF FOOD EACH DAY, I just eat breakfast as soon as Im done working out (the workouts start about 15 mins after I wake up)
Old 09-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
ToxicAngel

yes, some can do it, others can't. i really can't tell you why you felt better compared to before, maybe you had slept better the night before or something, but ideally you should eat BEFORE you train so not only your body gets the nutrients it needs to perform....esp. in the long term. it's not to say you can't train w/o eating first, but chances are you'll get more out of a workout if you do. it's out of the question for endurance atheletes like say marathon runners for example, to skip breakfast.
ToxicAngel is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
Dan
BiG DaN
ESB Jr Member

im no expert but ive read fasted cardio is fine as long as you take BCAAs to prevent muscle catabolism
im sure ur fine just eating a banana and OJ though, just do what your body feels good with
Dan is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 03:47 AM   #9
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I've tried sticking to that but it's just hell trying to get in a decent workout with no energy in your body. You get your initial boost of energy when you wake up but it doesn't last long in my experience, its like a caffiene effect imo.

you must be a freak or something
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #10
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

When exercising the body will initially use energy in the form of glycogen stored in muscle, as long as you are eating enough each day you should have enough glycogen stored to last about an hour( depending upon intensity of exercise), so unless your doing a very long session, not eating before hand should not be a huge issue.

If you are really concerned about this just eat a high carb meal during the evening so you have plenty of energy for your morining training session.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 05:49 AM   #11
Dan
BiG DaN
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton bomber View Post
When exercising the body will initially use energy in the form of glycogen stored in muscle, as long as you are eating enough each day you should have enough glycogen stored to last about an hour( depending upon intensity of exercise), so unless your doing a very long session, not eating before hand should not be a huge issue.

If you are really concerned about this just eat a high carb meal during the evening so you have plenty of energy for your morining training session.
he also gets Hi GI carbs in banana and OJ which should make it plenty of fuels depending on intensity and duration of training
Dan is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #12
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

You'll burn fat if your average expenditure of calories exceeds your intake over a longer period. Everything else will just be compensated for by the body. Eat in the morning, you need the energy.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071

i train in the mornings before eating but for boxing which is in the evening i obviously have eaten during the day.
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
carlos_jackal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

All the top pro's in the world do their early morning "road work" probably around 6oclock! I'm not sure but I guess most of them would eat after their morning session! If you can handle doing a morning session with no food in the belly then there should be no reason to change.
I never eat before my morning runs and it's never done me any harm!
carlos_jackal is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #15
Aplin
Nak Muay
ESB Full Member

If you are training for performance enhancement then raisins are your best bet... like 25grams is a hundred calories so won't bloat you.

If you are training for fat loss then water before going straight into training is your best bet as people have said. Of course you will still burn your carb stores but there won't be as much of a gap between carb stores and fat stores. You can enhance this further by making sure you don't eat post 6:00pm in the evening or ASAP after training if you train late in the evening.

Remember though that eating about 20gram of protein and some fast digesting carbs is really important straight after or you will get sick (weak) very, very quickly.
Aplin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing