Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Jamie Pittman and the Middleweight Division

Just how far can he go? If Taylor and Pavlik move up and onwards to higher divisions, it will mean it leaves a big opening, and possibly some "weaker" title holders. How do you think he would fair against the current crop of top guys such as: Arthur Abraham, Felix Sturm, Sergio Mora, Kassim Ouma and Khoren Gevor? The last three guys mentioned are the likely fighters to replace Taylor at the top should he choose to vacate.
MSTR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 01:26 AM   #2
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Default Re: Jamie Pittman and the Middleweight Division

To IpExpress whats his chin like? ANy stories from sparring? What guys has he been in there with in sparring also? Provided he has a decent chin, I think style wise he would be a nightmare of an opponent for both Abraham and Sturm. Any fighter with a tutrle shell defence is gonig to struggle with a fighter with very fast hands who is a good mover. They simply won't be fast enough to counter or get off there own punches IMO.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Just how far can he go? If Taylor and Pavlik move up and onwards to higher divisions, it will mean it leaves a big opening, and possibly some "weaker" title holders. How do you think he would fair against the current crop of top guys such as: Arthur Abraham, Felix Sturm, Sergio Mora, Kassim Ouma and Khoren Gevor? The last three guys mentioned are the likely fighters to replace Taylor at the top should he choose to vacate.
Jamie Pittman with his massive height at middleweight, plus him being a southpaw he will have great chance to get close to picking up a belt.
Out of the list you said, only probably Arthur Abraham would be a tough ask.
All the rest in the next couple years may not be too far beyond Pittman IMO.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 01:30 AM   #4
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

The only problem i can see over the coming 3 years is that hopefully Pittman wont be too weight drained at 160, as he is 6'1".
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 01:44 AM   #5
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy
Jamie Pittman with his massive height at middleweight, plus him being a southpaw he will have great chance to get close to picking up a belt.
Out of the list you said, only probably Arthur Abraham would be a tough ask.
All the rest in the next couple years may not be too far beyond Pittman IMO.
To beat guys like this you have to be unique as a fighter. IMO its where guys like the Husseins, Green and even Briggs to an extent have fallen short. I think Pittmans hand speed is blinding, and that is what will set him apart. The way he fights off that jab cross and the way he moves in and out much like Kessler does will make it VERY hard for anyone to outbox him. Having seen both him and Choc live, the difference in their hand speed is very minimal, maybe Choc with a slight edge in the hands department, but I think Jamie has quicker feet. Choc is a better defensive fighter though with a slightly better offensive aresenal. Jamie is one dimensional, although like Kessler, or Pac it is a great one dimension.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 AM   #6
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Im slowly getting sold on Pittman, havent seen his fights at middleweight and Im very keen to.

I feel he has a style and attributes that gives people a lot of fits but also he still fights a bit to amateurish, a bit to tap and run.
Plus I wasnt completely impressed with his defense when under pressure, its very good but doesnt look worldclass good.

Got a long way to go IMO, Ive got to see more of his recent stuff but he still has to prove himself against a higher calibre of opposition. So far so good.

Based on what Ive seen currently nothing tells me he is a certanity of hanging with those names. Probably could beat Mora who is nothing special, Ouma is a hell of a lot smaller but still I dont know if Jamie could handle to pressure or get the little buggers respect.
Sturm is beatable, and got overhyped but still probably to classy for Pittman. At least good enough to get a decision in Germany, which doesnt necessarily mean he has to be dominate.
Gevor, depends on what Pittman is made of which we havent really got to see yet. He could school the shit out of Gevor or on the other hand get blown out or get dragged into a war and beatdown. Gevor is a pretty hard guy to deal with.

Abraham is several classes above Pittman, couldnt expect him to do well there. But IF Jamie has quite a good chin and IF he has the mental strength to deal with Abraham and IF he improves to a worldclass level, he certainly has all the tools that Arthur would not enjoy dealing with.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:02 AM   #7
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
To beat guys like this you have to be unique as a fighter. IMO its where guys like the Husseins, Green and even Briggs to an extent have fallen short. I think Pittmans hand speed is blinding, and that is what will set him apart. The way he fights off that jab cross and the way he moves in and out much like Kessler does will make it VERY hard for anyone to outbox him. Having seen both him and Choc live, the difference in their hand speed is very minimal, maybe Choc with a slight edge in the hands department, but I think Jamie has quicker feet. Choc is a better defensive fighter though with a slightly better offensive aresenal. Jamie is one dimensional, although like Kessler, or Pac it is a great one dimension.
Very true, he is rather unique compared to some of the other Aussies.
Lets just hope he gets the right opportunities like Katsidis did, & not get thrown in the deep end on foreign soil, from fighting taxi drivers in Australia like some of our other boxers.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy
Very true, he is rather unique compared to some of the other Aussies.
Lets just hope he gets the right opportunities like Katsidis did, & not get thrown in the deep end on foreign soil, from fighting taxi drivers in Australia like some of our other boxers.
Definitely agree. A lot will depend on how well he is managed from here on in.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:36 AM   #9
silvy_chris
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

any videos?
silvy_chris is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvy_chris
any videos?
Not sure. I might be able to find some mate. He had some older fights on fox I think. If you go to any of the Jamie Myer fight cards he will usually be making an appearance.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #11
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He can go places, at the top mite lack KO power.
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #12
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.W
He can go places, at the top mite lack KO power.
I have no doubt he will lack power, but much like Malignaggi, won't stop him from being very tough to beat.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 AM   #13
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Does a lot of sparring with Sherro. They are actually good mates these days. As far as I've heard, he's got a good chin. Certainly hasn't had a drama in fights so far.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 03:34 AM   #14
Spartan_Boxer

I'm pretty sure there is some footage of him sparring Sakio bika on youtube
Spartan_Boxer is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #15
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP