Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 1000
Default Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

This is a weird thread I'm sure, but one that I felt like I needed to make. Whenever I was younger I was scrawny, sick, always lacked confidence so I went to weight lifting, and eating like a horse. A few years later I start boxing, and have been for about 5 years. I box, and do some martial arts like 4-5 times a week, as well as lift that many days.
I feel confident in who I am, but when it comes to fighting i'm paranoid as hell, and just expecting it to happen. I never got in to amatuers, but love to spar, and just train. I'd think it'd make me more confident, and relaxed, but seems like the more I do it, the more I think about it, and it's just a cycle.
I know you do something a lot, or watch/ listen to something it becomes your life. I just don't like the feeling of being paranoid whenever more than likely nothing will happen, and if it does...Honestly my body should know what to do by now. I got tons of advantage over most average joes, don't have that many flaws, everyone I spar is much bigger than me (because I don't find to much competition in sparring my own weight around my area), and I do well.
Just wanted to get an idea of how you guys get? It has boosted my confidence, but I think about it a ton more (and I really don't think I need to bother)....
Primenal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,381
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Try the Training section for this type of thing, chap.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Starched Him
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

All the sparring sessions in the world cant give you heart.
Im sorry this happened to you, its just genetics you dont come from a long line of warriors you spar because your inviorment or intrest not because its in your blood. If your brother is a fighter and great but your father or mother is not you maynot be. Ifyour brother uncles mother father are fighters you will be and you never hesitate or get shook you jump right in.
My brother myself mother grandmother grand father all fighters some street some in the ring I am a fighter I do not get scared I donot worry of the consequence I start anything off with a straight right and nothing else is needed because at that point I know it is over.
You dont have this instinct you are afraid embrace who you are. Only thing that can break you out of this is find the toughest guy around and snuff him with a hook to the the temple and a quick right to the chin if you spar like you say he cant continue and leave quickly before his friends grab there assault rifles if he dosent go down get ready for a long one and a loss it will break your confidence
good luck champ may the force be with you remeber to drive your legs through the ground and punch through his face not on his face
Starched Him is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 7111
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Yeah, maybe you just don't have heart. You can't teach that. You either have it or you don't.
klion22 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starched Him View Post
All the sparring sessions in the world cant give you heart.
Im sorry this happened to you, its just genetics you dont come from a long line of warriors you spar because your inviorment or intrest not because its in your blood. If your brother is a fighter and great but your father or mother is not you maynot be. Ifyour brother uncles mother father are fighters you will be and you never hesitate or get shook you jump right in.
My brother myself mother grandmother grand father all fighters some street some in the ring I am a fighter I do not get scared I donot worry of the consequence I start anything off with a straight right and nothing else is needed because at that point I know it is over.
You dont have this instinct you are afraid embrace who you are. Only thing that can break you out of this is find the toughest guy around and snuff him with a hook to the the temple and a quick right to the chin if you spar like you say he cant continue and leave quickly before his friends grab there assault rifles if he dosent go down get ready for a long one and a loss it will break your confidence
good luck champ may the force be with you remeber to drive your legs through the ground and punch through his face not on his face


absolute ****ing bollocks..........


if you are feeling nervous all the time its nothing to do with your boxing or physical condition - its a mental thing


dont think about fighting on the streets, surely your too old for that shit. of course if the situation becomes unavoidable where u have to use your skills by all means use them but using the sport to stop yourself from feeling anxious is never going to work. sounds like your thinking about fighting all the time and that will wear anyone down



training in boxing has made me a lot less likey to become involved in fights because a) i know in 95% of cases its alcohol induced and b) i know that most people are all mouth and if i hit someone with intent with no gloves on, im gona **** that guy up and end up in court
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starched Him View Post
All the sparring sessions in the world cant give you heart.
Im sorry this happened to you, its just genetics you dont come from a long line of warriors you spar because your inviorment or intrest not because its in your blood. If your brother is a fighter and great but your father or mother is not you maynot be. Ifyour brother uncles mother father are fighters you will be and you never hesitate or get shook you jump right in.
My brother myself mother grandmother grand father all fighters some street some in the ring I am a fighter I do not get scared I donot worry of the consequence I start anything off with a straight right and nothing else is needed because at that point I know it is over.
You dont have this instinct you are afraid embrace who you are. Only thing that can break you out of this is find the toughest guy around and snuff him with a hook to the the temple and a quick right to the chin if you spar like you say he cant continue and leave quickly before his friends grab there assault rifles if he dosent go down get ready for a long one and a loss it will break your confidence
good luck champ may the force be with you remeber to drive your legs through the ground and punch through his face not on his face
Ha ha..... Wanna fight? Join the army.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
absolute ****ing bollocks..........


if you are feeling nervous all the time its nothing to do with your boxing or physical condition - its a mental thing


dont think about fighting on the streets, surely your too old for that shit. of course if the situation becomes unavoidable where u have to use your skills by all means use them but using the sport to stop yourself from feeling anxious is never going to work. sounds like your thinking about fighting all the time and that will wear anyone down



training in boxing has made me a lot less likey to become involved in fights because a) i know in 95% of cases its alcohol induced and b) i know that most people are all mouth and if i hit someone with intent with no gloves on, im gona **** that guy up and end up in court
Absolutely true... I went from been scared to stand in a room full of people to providing 1-2-1 security for the likes of Mylene Klass and Gok Wan... plus did the doors for 6 years- scrapping every week like a lunatic.

Experience breeds confidence.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
absolute ****ing bollocks..........


if you are feeling nervous all the time its nothing to do with your boxing or physical condition - its a mental thing


dont think about fighting on the streets, surely your too old for that shit. of course if the situation becomes unavoidable where u have to use your skills by all means use them but using the sport to stop yourself from feeling anxious is never going to work. sounds like your thinking about fighting all the time and that will wear anyone down



training in boxing has made me a lot less likey to become involved in fights because a) i know in 95% of cases its alcohol induced and b) i know that most people are all mouth and if i hit someone with intent with no gloves on, im gona **** that guy up and end up in court

Thinking you are right. As for lacking heart...I've sparred many people who outweigh me by 20-50 pds more, and not afraid to go to war. I was nervous sparring before, but now I don't really get nervous. I like taking a shot honestly...Gets the adrenaline pumping.
I just overanalyze the situation I think. I train for different things (besides boxing), and I'm thinking "if this happens...What'll I use?" Instead of much like sparring...Just let my body handle it. As for actual fighting I know I can handle most people one way or another (speed, strength, I got a good chin, or dirty tactics like JKD if I must), BUT perhaps confrontation makes me nervous?
I don't even drink or go to bars, and I think that enhances my odds of not fighting by about 90%. So, I believe in myself, odds are I will never physichally have too, but I just overanylyze a situation that isn't there, and can never figure why.
I'm sure a lot of people train for self defense, and I'm surprised things like this aren't stuck in anybody elses head.
Primenal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
pare
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 313
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primenal View Post
Thinking you are right. As for lacking heart...I've sparred many people who outweigh me by 20-50 pds more, and not afraid to go to war. I was nervous sparring before, but now I don't really get nervous. I like taking a shot honestly...Gets the adrenaline pumping.
I just overanalyze the situation I think. I train for different things (besides boxing), and I'm thinking "if this happens...What'll I use?" Instead of much like sparring...Just let my body handle it. As for actual fighting I know I can handle most people one way or another (speed, strength, I got a good chin, or dirty tactics like JKD if I must), BUT perhaps confrontation makes me nervous?
I don't even drink or go to bars, and I think that enhances my odds of not fighting by about 90%. So, I believe in myself, odds are I will never physichally have too, but I just overanylyze a situation that isn't there, and can never figure why.
I'm sure a lot of people train for self defense, and I'm surprised things like this aren't stuck in anybody elses head.
no, i hear you champ. i think a lot of people think about it these days - maybe not to the extent you do, but stuff like that does enter my head once in while. maybe it's cause the media accentuates that stuff. anyway, just don't worry about it. if it happens, it happens but you'd be more prepared than 99% of the population.
pare is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The Hood
Posts: 5,703
vCash: 75
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Are you saying youre nervous when you know you will have to spar or are you saying you are worried you will get into a fight somewhere outside the ring and get hurt?

If its the second, that isnt really rational. You could benefit by sitting down with some cognitive behavioral therapy. It is a lot better than the old days, they dont just sit on a couch and ignore your ramblings, its interactive. You have to train yourself to control your thought processes and to realize when you are being irrational and in time you wont be paranoid anymore.
elTerrible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
Starched Him
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Ha ha..... Wanna fight? Join the army.
My brother got kicked out for a good ko on his drill sergeant, The apple dosent fall far from the tree
which is what i was trying to explain to the thread starter
Starched Him is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Perky300
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 124
vCash: 1079
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starched Him View Post
My brother got kicked out for a good ko on his drill sergeant, The apple dosent fall far from the tree
which is what i was trying to explain to the thread starter
oh be quiet, being nervous and scared about fighting isn't ''whats in your blood'' its to do with experience, its been said before in this thread
Perky300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starched Him View Post
All the sparring sessions in the world cant give you heart.
Im sorry this happened to you, its just genetics you dont come from a long line of warriors you spar because your inviorment or intrest not because its in your blood. If your brother is a fighter and great but your father or mother is not you maynot be. Ifyour brother uncles mother father are fighters you will be and you never hesitate or get shook you jump right in.
My brother myself mother grandmother grand father all fighters some street some in the ring I am a fighter I do not get scared I donot worry of the consequence I start anything off with a straight right and nothing else is needed because at that point I know it is over.
You dont have this instinct you are afraid embrace who you are. Only thing that can break you out of this is find the toughest guy around and snuff him with a hook to the the temple and a quick right to the chin if you spar like you say he cant continue and leave quickly before his friends grab there assault rifles if he dosent go down get ready for a long one and a loss it will break your confidence
good luck champ may the force be with you remeber to drive your legs through the ground and punch through his face not on his face
Possibly the biggest load of bollocks iv ever heard!!??
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starched Him View Post
My brother got kicked out for a good ko on his drill sergeant, The apple dosent fall far from the tree
which is what i was trying to explain to the thread starter
So he's an idiot? Well done.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
beatdown
Infidel
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils
Posts: 201
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does your boxing make you more confident, or paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starched Him View Post
All the sparring sessions in the world cant give you heart.
Im sorry this happened to you, its just genetics you dont come from a long line of warriors you spar because your inviorment or intrest not because its in your blood. If your brother is a fighter and great but your father or mother is not you maynot be. Ifyour brother uncles mother father are fighters you will be and you never hesitate or get shook you jump right in.
My brother myself mother grandmother grand father all fighters some street some in the ring I am a fighter I do not get scared I donot worry of the consequence I start anything off with a straight right and nothing else is needed because at that point I know it is over.
You dont have this instinct you are afraid embrace who you are. Only thing that can break you out of this is find the toughest guy around and snuff him with a hook to the the temple and a quick right to the chin if you spar like you say he cant continue and leave quickly before his friends grab there assault rifles if he dosent go down get ready for a long one and a loss it will break your confidence
good luck champ may the force be with you remeber to drive your legs through the ground and punch through his face not on his face
What an idiotic ramble
beatdown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013