Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210
Default Joe Gans in 1891-94

Does anybody have any source that gives details on Joe Gans' career in 1891-1894. I was trying to locate any of the names of his opponents that are listed in this time span at boxrec, but there's nothing in the Baltimore Sun on any of those fights. The earliest bout of Gans I was able to locate with primary source was when he was participating in the colored championship of Maryland on June 26-27, 1894 with Richard K. Fox's medals awarded to the winners (thus I figure he was still an amateur at this point), Gans beat Buck Wilkie the first day, but lost in the final bout to Paul 'The Kangaroo' Johnson in 5 rounds.
Then in December same year he fought at least 3 bouts, on Dec. 17 beating Travis Brown in 6 rounds, Dec. 21 getting the better of the fight with Fred Sweigart in 10 rounds, although failing to stop him and thus allowing the opponent to get the gate money, and on Dec. 27 retaining the colored lightweight championship of the South by beating John Coats.
Maybe somebody has the 3rd volume of the Black Dynamite and can see what Fleischer writes about it?
Senya13 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum