Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #61
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153
Default Re: Describe Marco Antonio Barrera in one word.

Exciting.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #62
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yeah, I can understand how the post-fight crap with their last fight would suck for you to watch. Morales should have just shook his hand though.

They need to release Morales vs Barrera 1 in HD. That'd be insane
He should have, if for no other reason than if the verdict went against him (as it did), Barrera wouldnt have rubbed his nose in it, dumb thing to do really, all he did was give his fiercest rival a chance to double **** him, silly boy Erik was that night
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #63
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
He should have, if for no other reason than if the verdict went against him (as it did), Barrera wouldnt have rubbed his nose in it, dumb thing to do really, all he did was give his fiercest rival a chance to double **** him, silly boy Erik was that night
Barrera did come across as a sore loser after the first fight. Not that I can blame him, you bare your soul in a fight nobody gave you a chance in, many ringside observers felt you won, and you don't get anything from it? I bet Barrera was hurting for ages.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #64
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

This thread's still going? I already won.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #65
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
This thread's still going? I already won.
It's refreshing to see the adulation Barrera has from a lot of posters. I never understood how anybody could not like the guy or his style. He's so fluid.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #66
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Underrated.

Versatile is the best of all, though it's already been said.

However, I can't say I was ever a MAB fan. I always admired him, but I usually was sure that he was the clearly superior fighter prior to the fight (the Naz fight was a delicious exception) that I would back the boxer I'd see as being the underdog, which with Junior Jones was one of my fondest moments of boxing. I also would back Morales and Pacquiao over Barrera. Still, the man gave us many classic nights of boxing.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #67
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Barrera did come across as a sore loser after the first fight. Not that I can blame him, you bare your soul in a fight nobody gave you a chance in, many ringside observers felt you won, and you don't get anything from it? I bet Barrera was hurting for ages.
Marco was treated like the winner tho & Erik the loser after that fight, EM would have got less grief & more credit for his performance if MAB was awarded the verdict that night, the whole thing was unfair on Morales IMHO in a fight were it was genuinely very very close, an either way kinda fight.

The winner was supposed to get the big money fight vs Naz & Erik wanted Naz for ages - Barrera got the Hamed fight & became a superstar on the effort he put in in the Morales fight.

Anyway... I heard Erik went up to congratulate MAB after their 1st great fight & Barrera was a bit snide towards him, its not Morales fault the judges seen it his way, both he & MAB just did their job, brutalized each other for 12 amazing rds.
I think EM made his mind up there that he would have no time for MAB, Im glad because I absolutely love the passion in their rivalry, makes it even better.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #68
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Marco was treated like the winner tho & Erik the loser after that fight, EM would have got less grief & more credit for his performance if MAB was awarded the verdict that night, the whole thing was unfair on Morales IMHO in a fight were it was genuinely very very close, an either way kinda fight.
Absolutely. Barrera's stock did rise as a result, but I'm talking about immediately after the fight when the verdict is given. Barrera must have been quite upset, exchanging with Morales for 12 rounds, and coming out empty handed. I'm just saying, I probably wouldn't want to talk to anyone either - much less the opposition.

Quote:
The winner was supposed to get the big money fight vs Naz & Erik wanted Naz for ages - Barrera got the Hamed fight & became a superstar on the effort he put in in the Morales fight.
Barrera wanted Naz for even longer than Morales, it was being talked about as early as '96. It would have probably happened sooner have Jones not spoiled the party, but you want to talk about unfair? Barrera gets written off completely everytime he suffers a loss. He was a 4-1 underdog going into Morales I, a 3-1 underdog, If I remember correctly, going into his fight with Hamed, and he sure as hell wasn't favored to beat Morales up at 130lbs. He paid his dues. He didn't get star status given to him.
Quote:

Anyway... I heard Erik went up to congratulate MAB after their 1st great fight & Barrera was a bit snide towards him, its not Morales fault the judges seen it his way, both he & MAB just did their job, brutalized each other for 12 amazing rds.
Yup, I think Barrera came off as a sore loser. Morales, in contrast, even admitted to being close to stopped on a few occasions. I recently watched the countdown to Morales vs Pacquiao III, and I'm starting to really take a liking to Morales. Just about to watch his fight with Jones. I was going to download it, but I just found a 700mb version of Duran vs Benitez. Simply cannot pass that up. I'll watch the Jones fight on youtube instead.

Quote:
I think EM made his mind up there that he would have no time for MAB, Im glad because I absolutely love the passion in their rivalry, makes it even better.
I see the footage like Sky Sports and HBO use in pre-fight build up or countdown shows of incredible footage from the fight. Pristine, and up real close and personal too the action. I just wish they would release this stuff on DVD. Watching Barrera vs Morales I in HD quality with better camera angles would be epic. I have to put up with a grainy Sky Sports 1 version.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #69
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Barrera wanted Naz for even longer than Morales, it was being talked about as early as '96. It would have probably happened sooner have Jones not spoiled the party, but you want to talk about unfair? Barrera gets written off completely everytime he suffers a loss. He was a 4-1 underdog going into Morales I, a 3-1 underdog, If I remember correctly, going into his fight with Hamed, and he sure as hell wasn't favored to beat Morales up at 130lbs. He paid his dues. He didn't get star status given to him.
Looking back tho, I think being the underdog in those fights helped him perform so well to prove a point & while I dont want to discredit those efforts in any way, the opponents in those fights - while well prepared & ready - must have gained a tad overconfidence, it would be hard not to.
For the record... I dont see any version of Hamed beating the Barrera that beat him regardless of who was favourite.
Ps. Morales best effort in the trilogy was significantly the only fight were HE was underdog, fight 2, it CAN be a factor in a fight were the fighters are so evenly matched in almost every way as EM & MAB were.

Also, your right about Barrera earning his star status, both he & Morales earned it the hard way.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #70
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Masterful
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #71
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Barrera's had many great fights, and everyone names his trilogy with Morales, but my favorite will always be the brilliant, classic paint job that he did on Hamed....MAB was the MASTE of the obnoxious "Prince"...and shut his mouth for good....every act of mockery over a beaten opponent, every minute of every painfully long, excrutiatingly drawn out ring entrance Hamed ever made, every act of arrogance was compensated for and with interest by that marvelous performance by Marco Antonio Barrera!
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #72
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
MAB was the MASTE of the obnoxious "Prince"...and shut his mouth for good....every act of mockery over a beaten opponent, every minute of every painfully long, excrutiatingly drawn out ring entrance Hamed ever made, every act of arrogance was compensated for and with interest by that marvelous performance by Marco Antonio Barrera!
One of my all-time favourite fights...especially since I didn't like Hamed to start with. Marco gave him a nice slice of humble pie in that one.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #73
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Greatest

Now I dont mean or even think for one second he was the greatest of all time or even an era, but to me he was the greatest. The best 3 fighters since SRL IMO are Sweet Pea, Jones and Floyd. But I loved Barrera and will always have the fondest memories of him, more so than any other fighter. His fight with McKinney would have been one of my favourites if he hadn't have wiped the smug look off that little ****y cunt Naseems face Probably my favourite fight of all time
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2009, 01:51 AM   #74
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
Greatest

Now I dont mean or even think for one second he was the greatest of all time or even an era, but to me he was the greatest. The best 3 fighters since SRL IMO are Sweet Pea, Jones and Floyd. But I loved Barrera and will always have the fondest memories of him, more so than any other fighter. His fight with McKinney would have been one of my favourites if he hadn't have wiped the smug look off that little ****y cunt Naseems face Probably my favourite fight of all time
Same.

Barrera will always be the greatest to me.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #75
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Champion.
duranimal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum