kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Diaconu Out Against Dawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by capfunds
Ya'll are ****in crazy.

Hopkins did 5 years in the pen and you think he's afraid of no chin, not experienced enough Dawson?

Hopkins would scare the bitch out of Dawson.
Sorry, that doesn't mean anything.

Knowing you might lose doesn't mean he is afraid of the fighter. It means he is a business man and wants to keep his belt.

He isn't gonna scare Dawson. Why would you think that? Cuz of how tough Hopkins is? No one's gonna care about that....that thug crap doesn't scare elite level boxers.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #17
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
I think Dawson represents a lesser version of Jones for Hopkins. Fast, athletic with enough skill to get annoying. Too high a workrate, and frankly, too tall.
Not quite mate. Dawson is very fast, but he's not Calzaghe fast(Jones is not around) and he doesn't explode on guys like Roy did.

Dawson is more or less a larger 'Mayweather style' with decent pop and good speed, but the height and workrate are there just like you said.

Hopkins isn't touching this one.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Not quite mate. Dawson is very fast, but he's not Calzaghe fast(Jones is not around) and he doesn't explode on guys like Roy did.

Dawson is more or less a larger 'Mayweather style' with decent pop and good speed, but the height and workrate are there just like you said.

Not comparing him to Jones style wise, I am saying he is a mixture of speed and athleticism Hopkins won't like with his deliberate style. Think about it, Hopkins has NEVER liked guys like this, and rarely fights them. And Dawson is skilled enough to use his athletic advantages to a great degree...

Nah, he isn't as fast as Jones, hell, he doesn't hit as hard as Jones either.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #19
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
Not comparing him to Jones style wise, I am saying he is a mixture of speed and athleticism Hopkins won't like with his deliberate style. Think about it, Hopkins has NEVER liked guys like this, and rarely fights them. And Dawson is skilled enough to use his athletic advantages to a great degree...

Nah, he isn't as fast as Jones, hell, he doesn't hit as hard as Jones either.
Like I said, Calzaghe blitzes him speed wise. Dawson is very quick, but his legs are not like a Calzaghe or Jones.

What Dawson would do however is pick Hopkins off from the outside in a very nasty way and would throw many combinations, landing a bit out of each one. Dawson may stop a tired Hopkins down the line even, at this point it's a mismatch.

If Wright's backing you up and making it close, Dawson's reach and superior speed will own you over, Hopkins has little to no chance against Dawson and it'll never happen, just like we have agreed, hopefully we all get on the ranking committee.

Hopkins at this point is just a novelty sell, because he can beat selected 'name' fighters at age 42 and is still in great shape, but he is no longer an ELITE in his division IMO.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #20
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Dawson is no Jones, true.

However, my Dawson vs. Hopkins analysis relies heavily on the two fights Hopkins had against Taylor.

Chad is bigger and more complete than Taylor, in my opinion, and his workrate makes a Hopkins victory very unlikely. Anyone with speed, skills and workrate can threaten Bernard at this stage in his career. Maybe the only advantage Taylor has over Dawson against Hopkins is the fact that he's conventional, while Hopkins owns southpaws.

Still, Dawson 8-4 UD Hopkins.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #21
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampley
Dawson is no Jones, true.

However, my Dawson vs. Hopkins analysis relies heavily on the two fights Hopkins had against Taylor.

Chad is bigger and more complete than Taylor, in my opinion, and his workrate makes a Hopkins victory very unlikely. Anyone with speed, skills and workrate can threaten Bernard at this stage in his career. Maybe the only advantage Taylor has over Dawson against Hopkins is the fact that he's conventional, while Hopkins owns southpaws.

Still, Dawson 8-4 UD Hopkins.
All facts, but I don't see where Hopkins is going to win 4 rounds, a stoppage is very likely, he was tiring vs. a bloated Wright and the Dawson's of the world are entirely different animals all together.

Hopkins has a great right hand, but he cannot fire it off like he used to be able to do and Dawson will just spank him round after round, Hopkins will eat a lot of jabs.

It's funny how people say 'Hopkins will own the inexperienced Dawson', but fail to realise he couldn't own a lesser fighter in Jermain Taylor.

But again the 'romanticism' of celebrated fighters/atg's.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #22
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
All facts, but I don't see where Hopkins is going to win 4 rounds, a stoppage is very likely, he was tiring vs. a bloated Wright and the Dawson's of the world are entirely different animals all together.

Hopkins has a great right hand, but he cannot fire it off like he used to be able to do and Dawson will just spank him round after round, Hopkins will eat a lot of jabs.

It's funny how people say 'Hopkins will own the inexperienced Dawson', but fail to realise he couldn't own a lesser fighter in Jermain Taylor.

But again the 'romanticism' of celebrated fighters/atg's.
I foresee Hopkins winning a few rounds due to Chad fighting very cautiously, with Hopkins stalking and winning a few early rounds based on inactivity.

Sort of a Jones/McCallum scenario, when a shot Bodysnatcher was able to nick a few rounds against a very respectful Jones.

It's very bold to predict Hopkins getting stopped. I think he'd piss away every round before he risked that happening.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #23
lillarry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1646

A fight with Hopkins at this point is a lose/lose situation for Dawson. If you beat Hopkins, People will say that you beat a old version of Hopkins. If you lose, people will call Dawson a overrated fighter who was exposed by the old warrior. For the good of the sport, I wish Hopkins would retire
lillarry is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #24
JETSKI
Champion
East Side Guru

Actually kinda glad this fell through, if its true. Now there is nothing to compete head to head on the same night with Taylor vs Pavlik. Being that I'm going to AC for JT vs KP, I would have missed Diaconu's thrilling upset of Chad & that was pissing me off. Now I can fully concentrate on Kelly becoming the next Middlewt. Champ with no distractions.

If this fight is off, they'll get around to doing it someday. Diaconu isn't going anywhere. He'll still be a top contender for Dawsons crown.

JETSKI is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #25
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 41998

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillarry
A fight with Hopkins at this point is a lose/lose situation for Dawson. If you beat Hopkins, People will say that you beat a old version of Hopkins. If you lose, people will call Dawson a overrated fighter who was exposed by the old warrior. For the good of the sport, I wish Hopkins would retire
People have been awfully forgiving of breaking the promise to Mrs. Hop.

It was one thing when he was going to challenge Maskaev as a novelty act (although Roy beat him to the punch). This "I'm not going away but I'm not here to break a nail" bullshit isn't helping his legacy any.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #26
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The timing of this is all wrong. A little earlier, and maybe Showtime could have brought in Diaconu to fight Tarver in December. That's a KO I think Diaconu could get, and then a Dawson/AD matchup would be a much bigger fight.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #27
PolishPummler
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 197

We had a party bus on Saturday Night for a bachelor party and we were discussing going to this fight in Sacramanto but i guess it wont happen.
PolishPummler is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #28
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt
People have been awfully forgiving of breaking the promise to Mrs. Hop.

It was one thing when he was going to challenge Maskaev as a novelty act (although Roy beat him to the punch). This "I'm not going away but I'm not here to break a nail" bullshit isn't helping his legacy any.
I have nothing but respect for Hopkins, but he is definitely in the way now. I'm going to be pissed if that's the direction Calzaghe goes if he beats Kessler.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #29
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

I'd love to see Adamek or Hopkins step in as a late replacement. Unlikely, if not impossible, I know, but one can still hope.

Hopkins would rip the young gun to shreds.

Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #30
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

How can ya'll disrespect Hopkins this much?

Clearly, he doesn't need speed or power to dominate his opponents. He uses angles, and his gameplan is to take away the best weapon his opponent offers him.

Isn't Dawson also a Southpaw?
BITCH ASS is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum