Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301
Default Remember when boxing had Super fights?

It is getting really sad, that the last time that there was a proper super fight in boxing was in 2001, when Lewis blasted away at the remains of the once mighty Iron Mike...

The last classic super fight must of been in 1992 (Holyfield/BoweI).

By definition super fights do not come around every year, but for boxing to go six years without one, shows in part how weak the Heavyweights are, but just as disturbing the fact that, the slack has not been taken up by the lighter weights like they were in 80s and 50s.

Mayweather and Jones are/were jut as good potentially as a Hagler/Hearns/Leonard/Duran or Robinson, but have failed to catch the public's imagination.

Sure hardcore boxing fans may look foward to Hatton/Mayweather or Calzaghe/Kessler, but sadly no one in the worldwide mainstream media gives two hoots. That is in no small part down to the fact that both Jones and Mayweather lacked/choose not to have a media friendly personality, and both have bottled it when they had a chance to carry the sport....
TBooze is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

It's because before they moved up in divisions to fight better opposition - now they just do it to face the lesser of two evils - or whatever. Having said that, I still think you play down the significance of alot of fights - this year has been great thus far, despite some fights have been cancelled or postponed.

Still Kessler-Calzaghe is a superfight - and by it's display it will be recognised as such.

Cotto-Mosley and PBF-Hatton aren't half-bad either.

The real problem, as I see it is, that alot of "true" fans, downplay fighters of the now, and hail those from the yesteryears.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

These upcoming fights are HUGE for people who love and follow boxing, but they are not Leonard-Hearns or Ali-Frazier. Still, I am very satisfied with the big fights later this year and the ones that already happened.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist

Still Kessler-Calzaghe is a superfight
That is simply not true. Outside of hardcore fans, Continental Europe and Wales, no one cares about that fight.

The last super fight in 2001; Tyson was known by at least half the world, Lewis probably a quarter.

Put a picture of Calzaghe and Kessler together and show it to a non Brit or Dane casual fan, then they could only guess whom was whom, that was not the case with Tyson/Lewis...

Last edited by northend; 06-22-2006 at 07:27 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
fightfanatic1
Fight Junkie
ESB Jr Member

there are still super fights. just because the casual fans aren't drooling over the fighters like they once did doesn't make the fight any less of a "superfight". Hell the Hatton/Mayweather fight has been talked about for years and it is finally coming to pass.

joe c and kessler could also fall into superfight, as well pavlik/taylor, cotto,mosley.
fightfanatic1 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
These upcoming fights are HUGE for people who love and follow boxing, but they are not Leonard-Hearns or Ali-Frazier. Still, I am very satisfied with the big fights later this year and the ones that already happened.
They aren't considered such, simply for the reason that boxers gained alot more respect back then. Not to mention a broader public acceptance, which does affect people views on the significance.

If in doubt, you just have to skim through the classical section on this site. In contrast, we see alot of disrespect toward fighters in this section.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
fightfanatic1
Fight Junkie
ESB Jr Member

all right i need a definition of "superfight"

apparently some think that "superfight" mean superpopular fight in the eyes of the mainstream media.

i take it to mean 2 incredibly talented and good fighters with resumes to match going against each other. is this wrong??
Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
That is simply not true. Outside of hardcore fans, Continental Europe and Wales, no one cares about that fight.
I can't believe you just posted that as a boxing fan. Are you saying that it's only a superfight, if the broader public(most of whom have no or little knowledge of boxing), claiming it is such?

By skill and importance, JC-Kessler is as important as SRL-Hagler, SRL-Hearns, Hagler-Hearns, SRL-Duran, Duran-Hearns.

Quote:
The last super fight in 2001; Tyson was known by at least half the world, Lewis probably a quarter.

Put a picture of Calzaghe and Kessler together and show it to a non Brit or Dane casual fan, then they could only guess whom was whom, that was not the case with Tyson/Lewis...
Ignorance does nothing for me... Does it to you?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
iceman
Tis my Island
ESB Addict

vCash: 12406665

Too me a superfight is two great champions fighting each other.Calzaghe/Kessler just about makes the grade.De la Hoya/PBF was a superfight as far as hype altough the actual fight sucked.Hatton/Mayweather is borderline.Taylor/Pavlik is not a superfight,Pavlik is not a champ and Taylor is not a great champ.

Pac/Barrera -superfight
Cotto/Mosley - borderline
iceman is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
It's because before they moved up in divisions to fight better opposition - now they just do it to face the lesser of two evils - or whatever. Having said that, I still think you play down the significance of alot of fights - this year has been great thus far, despite some fights have been cancelled or postponed.

Still Kessler-Calzaghe is a superfight - and by it's display it will be recognised as such.

Cotto-Mosley and PBF-Hatton aren't half-bad either.

The real problem, as I see it is, that alot of "true" fans, downplay fighters of the now, and hail those from the yesteryears.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightfanatic1
all right i need a definition of "superfight"

apparently some think that "superfight" mean superpopular fight in the eyes of the mainstream media.

i take it to mean 2 incredibly talented and good fighters with resumes to match going against each other. is this wrong??
I think you have excellent match-ups and Superfights mixed up. Superfights are rare beasts: Since 1980 I would classify only the following as Super fights:

Holmes/Ali

Leonard/DuranII

Leonard/HearnsI

Holmes/Cooney

Hagler/Duran

Hagler/Hearns

Holmes/SpinksI

Hagler/Leonard

Tyson/Spinks

Bowe/HolyfieldI

de la Hoya/ChavezI

Holyfield/TysonII

Lewis/HolyfieldI

Lewis/HolyfieldII

Lewis/Tyson
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
They aren't considered such, simply for the reason that boxers gained alot more respect back then. Not to mention a broader public acceptance, which does affect people views on the significance.

If in doubt, you just have to skim through the classical section on this site. In contrast, we see alot of disrespect toward fighters in this section.
Spot on as usual
Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This year has been good year for boxing and its only going to get better. The super fight that took place between Tyson/Lewis in june of 2002 was so big because it was long awaited, also Tyson hyping the fight helped a whole lot. There were so many variables in this fight that made it a must see fight for anyone, not just fight fans. While there seems to be a lack of interest in the Heavywieght division right now, most other divisions are doing very well. Its only a matter of time before the Heavywieght division gets back on its feet, its always gone in cycles.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky
When Joe wins against Kessler and puts a fight together with Taylor - that's a superfight.
Don't jump the gun
Old 09-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
fightfanatic1
Fight Junkie
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
I think you have excellent match-ups and Superfights mixed up. Superfights are rare beasts: Since 1980 I would classify only the following as Super fights:

Holmes/Ali

Leonard/DuranII

Leonard/HearnsI

Holmes/Cooney

Hagler/Duran

Hagler/Hearns

Holmes/SpinksI

Hagler/Leonard

Tyson/Spinks

Bowe/HolyfieldI

de la Hoya/ChavezI

Holyfield/TysonII

Lewis/HolyfieldI

Lewis/HolyfieldII

Lewis/Tyson

how then are you defining "superfight" because looking back we could say that these men in my original post had good to great resumes and were in their prime when they fought and it was at that time that they fought.

holyfield and tyson?? tyson was no where near the fighter he was when he fought holy than before he went to prison. that was a superfight in name only. and although it was entertaining to watch, tyson was not the same tyson of old.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum