Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,819
vCash: 483
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist

Ignorance does nothing for me... Does it to you?
I do not think calling casual fans Ignorant is really going to help...

Boxers today lack personality and are not prepared to sell the sport otr do the work required to be a superstar.

It took Hagler 8 years and 50 fights to win THE Championship, even then it took him a further three years to get mainstream respect, but he was prepared to work at it. Mayweather and Jones had it a lot easier, they are more naturally talented than Hagler, and in theory have more charisma, but Jones blew it and Mayweather is on the verge of dropping the ball, he is not getting any younger.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

I think Taylor vs Pavlik has a lot of potential to be a superfight.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #18
ChampionsForever
ESB VIP
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ali Bomaye!!
Posts: 2,029
vCash: 75
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

DLH-PBF was a SUPERFIGHT, it was the highest grossing PPV boxing event ever, it dont get more super than that. The last real fight that captured all sports fans attention was 2002 Lewis-Tyson,had Tyson still had something left it could have really done alot for the sport and hes legacy for sure, I still have the paper of the day before that fight, TheSun, I kept it for when we beat Argentina 1-0 in the football (one of our best results in the World cup ever and the biggest sporting story of the year) and that fight still took up 6 pages of the sports pages.......now when you consider how big football is over here and how relatively small boxing is it puts it into perspective of how "super" that fight was.
ChampionsForever is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #19
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Mayweather vs Cotto will be great too.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #20
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,819
vCash: 483
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
going by that neither was Bowe/Holyfield because only hardcore fans and americans were interested.
Bowe was well known in Britain as were all the Heavyweight Champions up to and including Lewis.

In 1992 pro boxing was only just starting again in Eastern Europe, Continental Europe was a much smaller beast that it is now. JCC was on verge of leading the Latino drive to mainstream, so the markets that counted then (North America/South Africa/Australia and Britain) were hit for that fight.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #21
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capfunds
I think Taylor vs Pavlik has a lot of potential to be a superfight.
It has potential to be a great fight, however, in terms of anticipation from casual fans and non-boxing fans as well as the promotion of it, it falls well short of a super fight.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #22
rendog67
The firestarter
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: philadelphia museum of art
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
It is getting really sad, that the last time that there was a proper super fight in boxing was in 2001, when Lewis blasted away at the remains of the once mighty Iron Mike...

The last classic super fight must of been in 1992 (Holyfield/BoweI).

By definition super fights do not come around every year, but for boxing to go six years without one, shows in part how weak the Heavyweights are, but just as disturbing the fact that, the slack has not been taken up by the lighter weights like they were in 80s and 50s.

Mayweather and Jones are/were jut as good potentially as a Hagler/Hearns/Leonard/Duran or Robinson, but have failed to catch the public's imagination.

Sure hardcore boxing fans may look foward to Hatton/Mayweather or Calzaghe/Kessler, but sadly no one in the worldwide mainstream media gives two hoots. That is in no small part down to the fact that both Jones and Mayweather lacked/choose not to have a media friendly personality, and both have bottled it when they had a chance to carry the sport....

a super fight is something that catches the worlds attention so i agree with your point, but it is sad that unbeaten records and quality opposition are not all it takes anymore. Some of these fights may well be classed as superfights in the future they may be talked about for years to come.
rendog67 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #23
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
It has potential to be a great fight, however, in terms of anticipation from casual fans and non-boxing fans as well as the promotion of it, it falls well short of a super fight.
I suppose you're right, but it's their loss.

I could care less about what the typical person or casual fan thinks about boxing.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #24
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,611
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Barrera-Morales I, II and III
Barrera-JMM
Barrera-Pac II
Morales-Pac I, II and III
Vazquez-Marquez I, II and III
De La Hoya-Mayweather
Castillo-Corrales
Calzaghe-Kessler
Hopkins-Tarver
Hopkins-De La Hoya
Mosley-Cotto

All within the last few years and all superfights. The casual boxing fan is just not nearly as exposed to the boxers of today as they were when fights were still broadcasted regularly on cable. You have to take into account that there were advertisements for these bouts as well exposing the casual fan or even the non-fans to fighters. DLH-PBF had people who knew nothing about boxing talking at the watercooler about the fight.

Its all about the public perception of great bouts.
Guru_Too_You is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #25
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,819
vCash: 483
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionsForever
DLH-PBF was a SUPERFIGHT, it was the highest grossing PPV boxing event ever, it dont get more super than that.
Holyfield/Douglas grossed silly numbers as well, but Evander was not well known enough to make it a super fight. de la Hoya may be mainstream in the USA, but he is not in Britain, people might know his name but would struggle to recognize him. Mayweather is even less known....

Because boxing is no longer a mainstream sport, promoters hit the markets that will sell, they do not care if no one outside of the Latino market has heard of a fighter, if they grossing Millions of dollars anyway.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #26
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Too_You
Barrera-Morales I, II and III
Barrera-JMM
Barrera-Pac II
Morales-Pac I, II and III
Vazquez-Marquez I, II and III
De La Hoya-Mayweather
Castillo-Corrales
Calzaghe-Kessler
Hopkins-Tarver
Hopkins-De La Hoya
Mosley-Cotto

All within the last few years and all superfights. The casual boxing fan is just not nearly as exposed to the boxers of today as they were when fights were still broadcasted regularly on cable. You have to take into account that there were advertisements for these bouts as well exposing the casual fan or even the non-fans to fighters. DLH-PBF had people who knew nothing about boxing talking at the watercooler about the fight.

Its all about the public perception of great bouts.
You son of a bitch!

Remember when we used to argue on a routine basis?

I just lost my passion, but don't worry, I'll be back.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #27
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capfunds
I could care less about what the typical person or casual fan thinks about boxing.
As far as I'm concerned, they are missing out
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #28
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,426
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
I do not think calling casual fans Ignorant is really going to help...

Boxers today lack personality and are not prepared to sell the sport otr do the work required to be a superstar.

It took Hagler 8 years and 50 fights to win THE Championship, even then it took him a further three years to get mainstream respect, but he was prepared to work at it. Mayweather and Jones had it a lot easier, they are more naturally talented than Hagler, and in theory have more charisma, but Jones blew it and Mayweather is on the verge of dropping the ball, he is not getting any younger.
Well, if they don't know titlists, even one of which is a 10 year champion - then they are ignorant. I don't depend on them to tell me if I think it's a superfight. Why do you?

All you are saying in the rest simply explains that broader acceptance equals superfights. To me thats the very core of what is wrong in boxing today. People spend too much time looking at recognisable names, rather than skill and craftmanship.

I do think you are beyond such things? This is boxing, not a circus...
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #29
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

This OP couldn't have come at a worse time.

The fights happening for the remainder of this year are huge, to say the least. What the shame is that the American public has been so misinformed about every one of them. Well, maybe except the Pavlik-Taylor fight.
Ambition_Def is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #30
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
As far as I'm concerned, they are missing out
I think it could be the beggining of a possible trilogy, unless of course Pavlik dominates the fight and then brutally, disgustingly knocks Taylor the **** out.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013