Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #31
fightfanatic1
Fight Junkie
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Remember when boxing had Super fights?

i don't need the media or casual fans to tell me when the fight between two stars is a "superfight". Casual fans and the media know shit about boxing to be telling me when a fight is "superfight". So their involvement or lack thereof in these supposed superfights mean squat to me. A superfight is 2 great fighters going at it regardless of the afore mentioned clowns thoughts or knowledge of it.

marquez and vasquez would qualify as a superfight to me. as well as many others that took place this year and will take place this year.
fightfanatic1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #32
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist
People spend too much time looking at recognisable names, rather than skill and craftmanship.

I do think you are beyond such things?
I do, boxers today are just as skillful in the ring as any other era, but lack the je ne sais quai to become superstars.

The problem with Calzaghe is that he came along 5 years too late, he could of had massive local battles with prime Eubank/Benn and Collins, they would of turned him into a star in Britain.

If Calzaghe beats Kessler, we may all know the significance, to a degree (Kessler is fairly untested) but the British papers will give it a so what? American papers will not even report it porperly. Trust me the Conference results (Footballs, division five in Britain) will get more press.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #33
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capfunds
I think it could be the beggining of a possible trilogy, unless of course Pavlik dominates the fight and then brutally, disgustingly knocks Taylor the **** out.
What's your pick for the fight?
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #34
iceman
Tis my Island
ESB Addict

vCash: 12406665

Alot of the fights posters have listed as superfights are IMO 'classic fights'.It is easy to call them superfights after the fact if they indeed were great fights but few of them were billed as superfights before the event took place
iceman is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #35
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
I do, boxers today are just as skillful in the ring as any other era, but lack the je ne sais quai to become superstars.

The problem with Calzaghe is that he came along 5 years too late, he could of had massive local battles with prime Eubank/Benn and Collins, they would of turned him into a star in Britain.

If Calzaghe beats Kessler, we may all know the significance, to a degree (Kessler is fairly untested) but the British papers will give it a so what? American papers will not even report it porperly. Trust me the Conference results (Footballs divsion five in Britain) will get more press.
I simply think it all boils down to that people have far more input and things to chose from than they did before. It helps little that boxers have massive amount of charisma if no one or very little are watching.

I think what you are offering or suggesting could turn out very ugly. Promotions and media would hype up boxers with alot of charisma and good looks. Hand them title fights before deserved, and maybe even give them decisions; I am really not grasping at straws here, I believe. The focus should be boxing. If boxing sells in itself, then good, if not - well. I couldn't care less, really. Money often corrupts things.

In lieu with what you are saying concering football. Would you consider asking an american of the significance in Liverpool winning the champions league, and would you ask an eskimo of the significance of Michael Vicks life-time ban?

I am not saying what you say isn't true, coz it probably is, but it is ignorant to say that conference league holds more importance or interest in sport than Kessler-JC. Media likes to govern what is good television - your job as a fan, is to forge your own opinion.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #36
JAM Killer
Coming Through.
ESB Senior Member

I think that Taylor/Pavlik is a super fight, and a great match up, because this fight has everything to be explosive and both guys are undefeated and hard hitters, and hungry, and both men know they are going to win.
JAM Killer is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #37
Irish Steel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist
It's because before they moved up in divisions to fight better opposition - now they just do it to face the lesser of two evils - or whatever. Having said that, I still think you play down the significance of alot of fights - this year has been great thus far, despite some fights have been cancelled or postponed.

Still Kessler-Calzaghe is a superfight - and by it's display it will be recognised as such.

Cotto-Mosley and PBF-Hatton aren't half-bad either.

The real problem, as I see it is, that alot of "true" fans, downplay fighters of the now, and hail those from the yesteryears.
Great post.
Irish Steel is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #38
the_what
Bolo Punch KO
ESB Addict

Mayweather/Hatton and Cotto/Mosley are superfights. Same with Calzaghe/Kessler and Taylor/Pavlik. Although I dont really care about the other 2.

On that note, I thought fights like MAB/JMM, Vazquez/Marquez 1 & 2, Corrales/Castillo, Corrales/Freitas, Hatton/Tzyue were superfights as well.
the_what is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #39
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
What's your pick for the fight?
I'll let you know a few days out.

Right now, I would bet Pavlik by KO though.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #40
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Super fights are boxing matches that contain boxers who are at the top of there division who are usually in there prime fighting to see who is the best. While I agree some of the fights you mentioned our good, I would have to say Kessler/Calzaghe is and Hatton/Mayweather are super fights that contain undefeated fighters at or near there peak fighting each other. Mosley is past his prime while cotta has not yet reached his potential yet, both Pavlik and Taylor our not at there peak yet in my opinion.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #41
bandeedo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1115

up untill the early 90s big fights felt more like superfights because it was not just a boxing match, it was an event. it was the place to be and be seen for pro athletes in general as well as hollywood stars. the whos who of popular culture attended these events and got treated to a show because you did not just see one big title match but 4 or 5. i miss those days.
bandeedo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum