Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: That Mayweather-Hatton press conference that just happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
I say charismatic, but its charismtic in the sense he can get under anyones skin with his antics. Negative charisma. hes got someting about him you just cant ignore. Hes like Hopkins in that way, he has the knack of unsettling normally unflappble opponents! Im not saying Ricky was or is frightened of him, cos Hatton IMO thinks all he needs to do to win this fight is turn up. BUT, he got unsettled by Mayweather, & it surprised him.
I duuno mate. Hands in pockets, chewing gum and smirking he came across a lot better than Mayweather, who was flapping for words by the end.

I dodn't know about the fight but the tour has got us talking already!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #17
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
So what was that [fullstop] thing you had going....?

The 'alpha male' crap is just pyschobabble, Hatton just didn't want into calling Mayweather a 'girl' or '*****', PBF just looked like an idiot to me. I can see Hatton really getting under Floyds skin in this tour..
My "." button was remapped to the colon key. I cannot type out colons now.

He should have insulted Mayweather's wit mate, at risk of being a hypocrite. People in this thread did it easily enough.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #18
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
My "." button was remapped to the colon key. I cannot type out colons now.
Honestly?

I thought you must have lost a ESB bet!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #19
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
I thought you must have lost a ESB bet!!
Can you really imagine me losing a bet -questionmark-
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #20
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
Can you really imagine me losing a bet -questionmark-
Ahem!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #21
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hatton looked to me like he was trying not to laugh, I wonder if he was conscious of how much of a pratt Mayweather was making himself look and was content just to let him do it.
Mayweather should drop the 'talking smack' angle, he's not very good at it. Tyson was intimidating, Toney was funny, Mayweather just shows what a knob he is. (Still think he'll win though)
mrbassie is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM   #22
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbassie
Hatton looked to me like he was trying not to laugh, I wonder if he was conscious of how much of a pratt Mayweather was making himself look and was content just to let him do it.
Mayweather should drop the 'talking smack' angle, he's not very good at it. Tyson was intimidating, Toney was funny, Mayweather just shows what a knob he is. (Still think he'll win though)
My goodness theres a blast from the past, MrBassie! The guy who used to hate Scott harrison for fouling in the ring, am I right?
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #23
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I duuno mate. Hands in pockets, chewing gum and smirking he came across a lot better than Mayweather, who was flapping for words by the end.

I dodn't know about the fight but the tour has got us talking already!!
Exactly. Thats why I decided to make the thread, im interested in peoples perceptions of what unfolds in these press conferences. Me? I dont think hatton fears Mayweather, but he was unsettled by Mayweather, & froze. To be at a press conference & not have anything to say back when a man is taunting you? Strange behaviour. So strange in fact that even Mayweather was annoyed! Everyone is saying Floyd has no charisma, but he showed a lot more than Ricky on that performance, it has to be said.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #24
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Its a wierd one Dunky. I think the easy way for the shorter guy (Hatton) is just to maintain eye contact with the taller man but nothing more. Otherwise, if you give him the excuse, its too easy for the tall guy to step in that extra 6" and peer down and you then either have to get physical or accept being 'alpha maled' as Joe puts it.

I think Hatton played it smart...
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #25
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
My goodness theres a blast from the past, MrBassie! The guy who used to hate Scott harrison for fouling in the ring, am I right?
The same!
Although hate is rather too strong a word, as I said at the time
mrbassie is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 03:23 AM   #26
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

I think Floyd has been MUGGED OFF ever since the conference started. Ricky said the talk is going to turn on him. I felt Floyds talk was backfiring big time and his talk and body language showed it. Ricky just had his hands in his pocket while he tried to keep a straight face, then he started laughing. Go to fightnews and see Ricky mug Floyd off again in the latest press conference.

Get ready for the Calzaghae and Lewis effect. Lacy and Tyson do all the talk and give it large while Calzaghe and Lewis appear scared. Truth is, Hatton is cool, no probs.

Floyd always talks like this, he hypes himself up and gets into his opponenets head BUT this time it might backfire.

Read the signature, it says it all.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 05:23 AM   #27
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Exactly. Thats why I decided to make the thread, im interested in peoples perceptions of what unfolds in these press conferences. Me? I dont think hatton fears Mayweather, but he was unsettled by Mayweather, & froze. To be at a press conference & not have anything to say back when a man is taunting you? Strange behaviour. So strange in fact that even Mayweather was annoyed! Everyone is saying Floyd has no charisma, but he showed a lot more than Ricky on that performance, it has to be said.

I think its all panto and they have both donned their respective roles - good guy (Hatton) v bad guy (Mayweather).

Mayweathers tactics are so predictable - he is known for playing mind games with his opponents before fights so Hatton will be prepared
for whatever he throws at him verbally. I actually thought Hatton took it all in his stride and came across quite calm even if he did look like he was trying to keep a straight face at times!

As a mainstream boxing fan and from a female perspective I don't find Mayweather charismatic but I think I know where you are coming from with your phrase 'negative charisma' as he definitely knows how to attract attention.

This media tour is ongoing so whether or not its Round 1 to Mayweather, I'm looking forward to when they touch down in the UK and are on Hattons territory later this week!
elle is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 05:50 AM   #28
Top Dog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mayweather is a total clown, I hope he gets crushed. He always give it the big talk, and when it comes to fight night he always boxes on the back foot, he said he would make Dela Hoya his bitch as well, but to me he lost that fight and didnt back up his words at all. He comes over all gangsta cause he's pals with 50 cent, big deal, he's a kid with a silver spoon in his mouth trying to be ghetto, ****in prat. Mayweather is a boitch that will try and spoil this fight and win by decision, he aint going to slug it out with Hatton, cause Hatton would burst him, like the ****in balloon he is. Come on Ricky nail this little bitch, once and for all.
Top Dog is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #29
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i don't think hatton was fazed at all.i don't think this head to head staredown trash talking thing is his bag.i think he found it quite amusing.he is quite a humorous kid and i think at the sit down part of the conferences he will come into his own more.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 AM   #30
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224

Quote:
Its a ghetto thing, coming out with that kind of stuff. Watch the documentary Turned Out, about prison rape in Alabama, & you will get what Mayweather is getting at.

Thank **** Im not a white prisoner in Alabama state penetentiary, thats all I am saying
so why is mayweather doing it?
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum