Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,417
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Jersey Joe Walcott's footwork is gods gift to society!
Mostly needless flamboyance, thus in part the spotty record.

They broadcast dance competitions as well as boxing matches.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Posts: 2,495
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Yeah as mentioned there is a clip of Walcott talking after he retired working asa janitor for Madison square garden.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #18
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Mostly needless flamboyance, thus in part the spotty record.

They broadcast dance competitions as well as boxing matches.


Add that to the Joe Frazier was a terrible in-fighter and Sonny Liston fought in a very unimpressive era of list of silly comments made by you.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #19
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,924
vCash: 75
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro View Post
Yeah as mentioned there is a clip of Walcott talking after he retired working asa janitor for Madison square garden.
I assume that is him in your avatar, great pic
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #20
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 123,118
vCash: 35250
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

This has always nagged at me - was Jersey Joe's idolization not even based on ever seeing his namesake fight? The Demon's career was over three years before he was born. So either he adopted the moniker simply out of pride for his ancestral roots based on hearsay, newspapers, and the like (so then, not conceivably a stylistic inspiration at all) - or film was extant and in circulation in the early part of the last century.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:19 AM   #21
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,924
vCash: 75
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
This has always nagged at me - was Jersey Joe's idolization not even based on ever seeing his namesake fight? The Demon's career was over three years before he was born. So either he adopted the moniker simply out of pride for his ancestral roots based on hearsay, newspapers, and the like (so then, not conceivably a stylistic inspiration at all) - or film was extant and in circulation in the early part of the last century.
Yeah, I assume someone had film of Barbados Joe. Either that or tales of him were already legendary.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:04 AM   #22
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Well he was going to call himself " Jersey Cow Cream " ,but it didnt have that ring to it.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 123,118
vCash: 35250
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Has anyone come across any interviews with Jersey Joe indicating that he'd witnessed his idol's craft firsthand (loosely interpreting firsthand to include the viewing of any amount or quality of film)?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #24
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
This has always nagged at me - was Jersey Joe's idolization not even based on ever seeing his namesake fight? The Demon's career was over three years before he was born. So either he adopted the moniker simply out of pride for his ancestral roots based on hearsay, newspapers, and the like (so then, not conceivably a stylistic inspiration at all) - or film was extant and in circulation in the early part of the last century.

Well I pretty sure since Jack Dempsey the middleweight died in 1895, and no film on him has seem to never exist in action like John L Sullivan, he Must of been great for a guy named William to just take his name.

Even though Jack Dempsey was not the real name of this middleweight either lol.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #25
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 123,118
vCash: 35250
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
Well I pretty sure since Jack Dempsey the middleweight died in 1895, and no film on him has seem to never exist in action like John L Sullivan, he Must of been great for a guy named William to just take his name.

Even though Jack Dempsey was not the real name of this middleweight either lol.
That's another fine example. Naming yourself after someone that you've never even seen in action (live or otherwise) seems so strange to me - they're basically just taking the word of their idol's contemporary sportswriters at face value on blind faith and using their imagination. It's just inconceivable to me to so profoundly moved by someone's talent as to assimilate their identity based on mere second-hand relation.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #26
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

I imagine it was because Jersey Joe Walcott's parents came from Barbados, or so I've heard.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #27
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 123,118
vCash: 35250
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
I imagine it was because Jersey Joe Walcott's parents came from Barbados, or so I've heard.
Right, that's why I said it may have simply been pride in his roots - but even with the first Walcott already being a national treasure for the Bajan peoples by that point, the fact remains that unless Joe 2 observed him on film, he's going on nothing but second-hand information. He can hardly in that case be said to have modeled his style after him - any more than one can model their piano playing technique after that of Ludwig van Beethoven.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #28
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Right, that's why I said it may have simply been pride in his roots - but even with the first Walcott already being a national treasure for the Bajan peoples by that point, the fact remains that unless Joe 2 observed him on film, he's going on nothing but second-hand information. He can hardly in that case be said to have modeled his style after him - any more than one can model their piano playing technique after that of Ludwig van Beethoven.
Then again I don't think anyone including Jersey Joe himself has ever claimed that he fought like Barbados Joe. The original Joe Walcott was in fact considered to be the exact opposite of Jersey Joe, stylistically.

He may have been just paying homage. A lot of boxers at the time adopted the names of past great fighters.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #29
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,666
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

He payed homage to the legend. He never saw him fight.
he grant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #30
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 887
Default Re: Do You Think There Is Any Footage What So Ever Of The Orginal Joe Walcott?

My guess is that non exests. It dose not mean that non of his fights were filmed but film used to be highly flamable and would also dertorite easly. Enless a cloctor stored it some where in a climet controled vault it dose not exeest. So no one is going to find some old film cleaning out the atiic if they do it may be concered a merical.
ripcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013