Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
stevexx28
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 916
Default How do you explain to people jumping weight classes is bad?

I get alot of people who always give me looks when I diet, try to lose weight, etc. I say "I want to be in the lowest comfortable weight class."
They counter"Why so you can cheat and fight small people?" And I say "most fighters try do the same thing so most have the same advantage. Its just the thing to do." and they say"Why dont you put on some muscle and compete in a higher weight class and be strong?" I try to explain "Bench pressing 500lbs and having pretty bicep and pec muscles wont help me beat and taller, better reach, and most of the time naturally stronger fighter. Weight lifting strength =/= punching power." These critics, never quitting, say "Why dont you challenge yourself?"

LOL I know I shouldnt care about what people think but its kinda annoying when I can't explain that going up in weight for the hell of it or for the physique is a big no-no in boxing unless your a talented superstar who cleans out divisions(jones,mayweather,pacquiao). I dont think they understand how hard fighting tall, good fighters can be. Do any of you guys ever get questions like this and what do you tell these people to shut them up. They drive me nuts lol.
stevexx28 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How do you explain to people jumping weight classes is bad?

The problem is that everyone does it. It's not always an advantage to drop or go up. People come in all different shapes and sizes, have different strengths and weaknesses, as well as fighting styles. You also have to take into account where you have the best chance to win using your style, size and strength.

It isn't much of an advantage to be 6" taller when you are weak and drained to get to a lower weight. It also isn't always a good idea to walk in at your natural weight if everyone in your class is naturally bigger.

I've done both and there are positives and negatives to both. I prefer to go into a fight feeling good and without the stress of weight on my mind.

To each his own.
amy is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
pretty boy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 673

sure most wellterweights dehydrate and to 147 and when the rehydrate they are 160 so ther is nothing wrong with trying to get down to your lowest comfortable weight class. At least then you can keep moving up if u want to.
pretty boy is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

i feel you. i get the same. especially my aunt grinds me why i never lift weights and gain muscle and she just cant get it to her mind that it would slow me down and would make me move up a division where the naturally bigger guys would beat me.
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I dont cut any weight.. I drop about 5 lbs for each fight, and thats just losing weight usually..
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Starched Him
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You Blow Hot easier if you Gain Muscle to Move up.
You wont be as strong as the guys in that weight class, even if you weigh the same you really dont. That Lanky ass Calzaggi or B-Hop would kick Jeff Lacy muscle bound ass. he just Not strong as them. even though it look like he should be. Also Moving up its just bigger men there in general theres no 6ft welter weights move up 1 more class and see those guys that walk around 215 - 220 trinidad blew up to 205 when he wasnt fighting
Starched Him is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

My natural "dry" weight seems to be right in between light welter and welter, at 66.5 kg. I can kill myself to get to 64, or fight fat or too light at 69. I prefer 64, as I felt great at the weight, but it took a lot of effort to get there.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalistinho View Post
i feel you. i get the same. especially my aunt grinds me why i never lift weights and gain muscle and she just cant get it to her mind that it would slow me down and would make me move up a division where the naturally bigger guys would beat me.
That's not true actually.
amy is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy View Post
That's not true actually.
how so?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Hmm I don't actually "try" to cut weight it just happens :/.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
stevexx28
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 916

Quote:
Yea man, I think its cause muscle and aesthetics is in and atheletic performance is out lol. Look at the GI Joe toys from the 1960s and today. Every other guy I know now either is musclular(usually dispoportionate, with 20" arms and huge chest with no back or legs lol) or trying to be muscular. And not to mention the new MMA popularity where guys look like bodybuilders swinging and kicking for the fences. Has anybody seen this guy bobby lashley? WTF?

And for those who dont cut weight or have to cut weight, Im referring to the normal person, not the paul williams/thomas hearns freak genetic people. Im pretty sure most peoples first choice of fighting style would be to be a tall boxer, who can move, jab and fight safe with thier reach advantage. Most people, i think, who infight, brawl, or swarm, are the ones that have to because couldnt make weight to weight class where theyre not short, or they were straight up born short.
stevexx28 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
how so?
Because strength is what makes you faster. If you're lifting weights and getting slower, you're lifting wrong.
amy is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Because strength is what makes you faster. If you're lifting weights and getting slower, you're lifting wrong.
I wouldn't totally agree with that O.o. Unless you're lifting with less weights and more reps, you will get slower.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Oh good to know. When it comes to weights im a total noob. What do you recommend so i dont get slower?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Oh good to know. When it comes to weights im a total noob. What do you recommend so i dont get slower?
Make sure you are working your fast-twitch muscles. Don't lift for bulk, keep your muscles long and lean but strong. Explosive movements.
amy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing