Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will we one day reminisce?

Braddock v Baer was an awful fight, an embarassment really.

But boxing and the heavyweight championship were part of mainstream culture then. Those people were celebrities in their own time, heroes even. Nevermind that they sucked as far as fighting goes, they occupied a position almost on a par with the Clark Gables and James Cagneys in the minds of the people. Boxing was popular entertainment, and something many young boys and men aspired to, and popular among women too, and there were fight clubs and professional boxing venues all over, and for those reasons the guys who were at the top of the tree in boxing (the champions and contenders) were considered SOMEBODIES not just by a hard core of boxing fans but by the "man/woman in the street".

Analysing the merits and otherwise of individual fighters is one thing, but if people do reminisce nostalgically about those eras and their "classic" fighters in might well be in part because of the imagination and larger-than-life status accredited to their position at that time. Something that today's fighters wont ever get.
Someone in 1930s might pick up the sports pages and complain "Baer's a bum", "Braddock's a bum", but today there's probably not even enough coverage for the typical newspaper reader to even form an opinion, and he doesn't even care, he's rarely going to stop to read about boxing.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I had a rather frightening but probably realistic thought that crossed my mind today. For some of us who are currently in our 20's, 30's and 40's, will we one day look back and talk about how great the 2000's were? That the Klitschko brothers were like a dynamic duo, and that men like Chagaev, Maskaev, Haye, Valuev, Povetkin, CHambers, Ruiz and Toney were a steller bunch of challengers?

The first thought that comes to most of your minds is " hell no. " Never!!!

But think about this, when the great Jack Dempsey retired, the fans were not exactly thrilled with the new crop of heavys. In fact, most of the champions and contenders of the 1930's were heavily criticized as being without talent. Nat Fleischer, founder and editor of Ring Magazine was one of their harshest crtics. Today, we view men like Schmeling, Baer and Carnera as real classic fighters, and we even had a box office hit movie come out about the life of Jim Braddock in the 2000's.

What say you?

this era of heavyweights no i dont think people will
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4710

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I had a rather frightening but probably realistic thought that crossed my mind today. For some of us who are currently in our 20's, 30's and 40's, will we one day look back and talk about how great the 2000's were? That the Klitschko brothers were like a dynamic duo, and that men like Chagaev, Maskaev, Haye, Valuev, Povetkin, CHambers, Ruiz and Toney were a steller bunch of challengers?

The first thought that comes to most of your minds is " hell no. " Never!!!

But think about this, when the great Jack Dempsey retired, the fans were not exactly thrilled with the new crop of heavys. In fact, most of the champions and contenders of the 1930's were heavily criticized as being without talent. Nat Fleischer, founder and editor of Ring Magazine was one of their harshest crtics. Today, we view men like Schmeling, Baer and Carnera as real classic fighters, and we even had a box office hit movie come out about the life of Jim Braddock in the 2000's.

What say you?
that's the problem with the farts here. they look at past fighters as legends and forget they were about the same shit.
the klitschkos are great utilizing their size , had they been deflated even to a 6'3" , 220lbs , vitali wouldn't have stopped arreola , but maybe arreola would have stopped him. had louis lived in our time he'd get destroyed by vitali , split fights (at best) with wladimir , lost to valuev , and i'd go further : don't expect him to have a nice day with the likes of povetkin and chambers. holyfield would have beaten him on points , tyson massacred him. tua would have decapitated him in one fight , and MAYBE the rematch would have gone the distance , but a man should be ****ing ****ed to imagine louis stopping tua. and i am not saying this for a second because tua's last appearance.
i admit that today's heavies are shit in average. but not totally all of them.
frankenfrank is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum