Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Gloves

Im currently working the bag with 16oz gloves, someone said to me yesterday that i probably should be using lighter gloves as this is better for speed were as the heavier gloves are better for people looking to increase stamina..Can anyone shed some light on this? What do other people use? should i be using 10oz or 14oz??

BTW im 5'10. about 150 pounds.
Jack Johnson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
CharlieGarbs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Johnson View Post
Im currently working the bag with 16oz gloves, someone said to me yesterday that i probably should be using lighter gloves as this is better for speed were as the heavier gloves are better for people looking to increase stamina..Can anyone shed some light on this? What do other people use? should i be using 10oz or 14oz??

BTW im 5'10. about 150 pounds.
I would stick to using bigger gloves on the bag, because once you put on lighter gloves you feel much more faster. Just my honest opinion though!
CharlieGarbs is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

i used to advise bigger gloves but having spent years seeing people rely on them for protection i am changing my mind. get small gloves and learn to punch and defend properly with them. too many people are covering up behind abnormally big gloves. too many people's wrist is snapping back when they land a punch. too many people are slapping with the glove. they are relying on the size of the glove to protect them. that is wrong.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

what size would you suggest? and yea i was thinking the same protection is unrealistic in terms of training for fights..
Jack Johnson is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

use 10oz. learn to protect yourself with the gloves you would fight with. at the same time don't rely on big gloves protecting your hand. practice good technique as well. that's the main thing. too many boxers go limp wrist and **** up their hands repeatedly.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
CharlieGarbs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
use 10oz. learn to protect yourself with the gloves you would fight with. at the same time don't rely on big gloves protecting your hand. practice good technique as well. that's the main thing. too many boxers go limp wrist and **** up their hands repeatedly.
But wouldn't you use bigger gloves on the bags and lighter in sparring? That what I do. Most definetly use lighter gloves in sparring, but I thought he was talking about bag gloves.
CharlieGarbs is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #7
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGarbs View Post
But wouldn't you use bigger gloves on the bags and lighter in sparring? That what I do. Most definetly use lighter gloves in sparring, but I thought he was talking about bag gloves.
I'm talking about both. I can understand using bigger gloves in sparring because of safety but on the bag too many guys go limp wrist and rely on the glove to protect you due to it's size.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
how5er

Im using lighter for bag work eg bag mits, I use 12's for tech sparring and 16's for sparring.

I can understand that heavy gloves should be used for haevy bags as it protects the wrist and hands, but i just rap them up weill with wraps.

I think that heavy gloves will get damaged quicker if your hitting a heavy bag fast and hard, But for me Heavy will give your heart and body a better workout, Will increase hand speed and also protect the hands and wrists, Just IMHO
how5er is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

16 oz are sparring gloves to protect yourself and imo shouldnt be used, 10 oz are better for bag work, they are the size you use in a fight so you should be comfortable when using them in a fight, get used to their size, their weight, how they feel and how they land i always use 10's for bags and pads
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing