Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Floyd Patterson's comeback in the early 70's

From September of 1970 to September of 1972, Floyd Patterson launched a comeback winning 9 fights, including victories over Oscar Bonavena, Pedro Agosto, and Terry Daniels, before losing to Muhammad Ali in the last fight of his career.

How good was Floyd during this time, and was he a worthy challenger in your opinion?
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Floyd Patterson's comeback in the early 70's

I think Floyd was good at this point, but not great. However, if he were to fight Foreman or Frazier during the 70s, his long string of good luck would have been derailed.
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

hmm i did not know this but if he won from bonavena he most have been good. cause bonavena was a good, tough fighter
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Jesus Hydraulix, change your font, that hurts my eyes.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He was one of the better "boxing" heavyweights. Had a good left hook. In one of the few championship fights I've seen I saw him KO a long, tall opponent by throwing exactly "two punches". Both left hooks. But when he met Ali in the ring he met his worst nightmare, a guy that could outbox and out punch him. An all time great, probably not. But someone who advanced the science of the sport and could hold his head up high in his retirement years, absolutely.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
From September of 1970 to September of 1972, Floyd Patterson launched a comeback winning 9 fights, including victories over Oscar Bonavena, Pedro Agosto, and Terry Daniels, before losing to Muhammad Ali in the last fight of his career.

How good was Floyd during this time, and was he a worthy challenger in your opinion?
I beleive he was, he was around 37 when he last challenged Ali and put up a spirited fight without ever really putting Ali in jeopardy.
I havent watched the fight for some years but I think Floyd sustained a badly swollen eye .I would think Patterson at that time was as good a challenger as Folley or Williams had been.Think it was a tko 7rds for Ali ,for the NABF title.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I beleive he was, he was around 37 when he last challenged Ali and put up a spirited fight without ever really putting Ali in jeopardy.
I havent watched the fight for some years but I think Floyd sustained a badly swollen eye .I would think Patterson at that time was as good a challenger as Folley or Williams had been.Think it was a tko 7rds for Ali ,for the NABF title.
I only saw a few brief clips of his second match with Ali, and that was a number of years ago. So frankly, I can't comment on it. Floyd did however manage to stay very active, and I'm guessing was one of the better contenders around circa 1972. I've always wondered how he might have done against say, Joe Frazier.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I only saw a few brief clips of his second match with Ali, and that was a number of years ago. So frankly, I can't comment on it. Floyd did however manage to stay very active, and I'm guessing was one of the better contenders around circa 1972. I've always wondered how he might have done against say, Joe Frazier.
I've seen very few HWs who looked as goodat 37 as Floyd did. He was trim, still at his prime weight, fast and pretty nimble. Not as fluid as he was at his best of course, but a very well preserved guy for his age. I haven't seen the fight against Bonavena, but if he could keep up with a bruiser like that (which he evidently must have done) his stamina must still have been good.

I would not have liked to see him against Frazier in the early 70's, though. That could really have ruined him. I think he went out in a very dignified way against Ali, without really taking a beating. Good way to end a terrific career.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
I've seen very few HWs who looked as goodat 37 as Floyd did. He was trim, still at his prime weight, fast and pretty nimble. Not as fluid as he was at his best of course, but a very well preserved guy for his age. I haven't seen the fight against Bonavena, but if he could keep up with a bruiser like that (which he evidently must have done) his stamina must still have been good.

I would not have liked to see him against Frazier in the early 70's, though. That could really have ruined him. I think he went out in a very dignified way against Ali, without really taking a beating. Good way to end a terrific career.
I think Frazier would have been a bad matchup for Patterson at that time.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I think Frazier would have been a bad matchup for Patterson at that time.
I imagine you're probably right. Floyd did very well against certain types of boxers, but pressure fighters were usually a problem for him, and I think that holds just as true in his prime as it did in old age..

I do think that a prime Patterson may have given Joe some trouble for a few rounds, but Frazier's relentless pressure and attack might break Floyd down a bit later.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

He was good. He was more cautious, more tucked to his chin to avoid getting hurt or busted up. He tried boxing in and out and didn't jump at counters as much. All and all he was a good fighter still. His output may have slightly dropped. Ali was talking badly about how he was going to embarrass him during their second fight. Fight had controversy about it. Floyd threatened to leave after being told to change. Ali refused to change, but the fight ended up just happening anyway. They both wore white trunks with black trim.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was a good challenger; just a step below the elite level.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Jesus Hydraulix, change your font, that hurts my eyes.
djanders is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #15
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix View Post
I think Floyd was good at this point, but not great. However, if he were to fight Foreman or Frazier during the 70s, his long string of good luck would have been derailed.
Sorry ,can't read this, try white type.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum