PACMAN BY DEC 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
pugilist_boyd
BUSTED UP PUG
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Cotto vs pacman

PROB. been done but i respect classic opinion much more,i am undecided wether pacs speed will be to much or cotto,s power and skill to much ill go on a limb and say im 60% sure cotto will take him or at least i hope he will
pugilist_boyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
Leonard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1147
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

As much as I'd like Pac to win, there's a very big chance of Cotto overpowering him. Frankly, I'm 50-50 on this but I voted for Pac by decision. I can't see him knocking out Cotto.
Leonard is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
pugilist_boyd
BUSTED UP PUG
ESB Full Member

im bummed only 3 votes and 1 comment ,i know its not classic but im really into this fight and i dont care for half the idiots on general
pugilist_boyd is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pac. Speed kills. He's a southpaw. Right hook counters, left uppercuts all night long.
josak is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cotto won't be able to touch Pac. He's flat footed while Manny fights on his toes. Pac will be in and out constantly, peppering Cotto all night. The only success Cotto will have is pressuring Manny against the ropes. If Manny keeps it in the middle of the ring, shoots the right hook counter over the jab, and throws those left hand bombs, Cotto's gonna get annihilated. I predict a TKO in the mid-late rounds.
josak is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
Caponecartels
Maritime Lawyer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 112

I think Cotto will K.O Manny around round 6 or 7.
If he can establish himself as the stronger guy and
pump that stiff jab in Manny's face, he can put him outta his game.
He's also got to go to that body , I haven't seen him do that
at all in his recent fights. Headhunting against Pacquiao is suicide
and although Cotto gets underrated speed-wise, compared to Manny he's slow.
It really all depends on how Cotto looks on fight night.
50/50 fight.

(I know that it was a brief look on the fight, I'm too tired to post a
full one. I'll let someone else do it. )
Caponecartels is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caponecartels View Post
I think Cotto will K.O Manny around round 6 or 7.
If he can establish himself as the stronger guy and
pump that stiff jab in Manny's face, he can put him outta his game.
He's also got to go to that body , I haven't seen him do that
at all in his recent fights. Headhunting against Pacquiao is suicide
and although Cotto gets underrated speed-wise, compared to Manny he's slow.
It really all depends on how Cotto looks on fight night.
50/50 fight.

(I know that it was a brief look on the fight, I'm too tired to post a
full one. I'll let someone else do it. )
It's a fine briefing.

The thing that makes this matchup interesting is how Pac's durability holds up against a true welterweight, and a big strong powerful one at that. If Cotto can get his big shots in then I think he might able to hurt and finish Pac. I think Pac has all the tools to out-box Cotto but for how long. This won't be a Hatton vs Pac fight. It really feels like a flip em one, but at the same time I can envision Pac out-boxing Cotto consistently and winning easily. The thing is, though, I don't know how long he can get away. Cotto has to get to him, and Cotto can neutralize speed. I think Pac should be a very slight favored. I'm holding back on making a pick currently, but I ever so slightly lean towards Cotto.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

This is by far Pacquiao's most dangerous fight. Pacquiao will be facing a bigger stronger fighter in that fighter's physical prime. Cotto is very athletic, has a strong will to win, and will definitely bring his best game with him.

When Pac faced Hatton, Hatton only had a slight advantage in size in only a couple of areas. Going by some of the prefight numbers, Hatton was not really the larger fighter. I'm confident that Cotto will be the larger man come fight night.

When Cotto faced Judah, I thought Cotto was going to get ko'd by a left hand. I have been impressed to see Cotto's adjustments to that side of the head, but they were against conventional fighters.

I have not made my mind up on this one. Pacquiao has the side to side speed, hand speed, and the correct angle of left hand punch to land on Cotto. Of Pacquiao's 3 past larger opponents, none had the ability to be the ring's general. Cotto has the ability to take command in there, and make Pac look like a lower weight fighter that sometimes fares well at a higher class.

I can't wait to see this go down.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

I lean toward Pac about 60/40. I think Pacquiao's faster hands and feet will give him an advantage, and that He'll keep turning Cotto so Cotto can't get set and throw his punches with full strength or accuracy. On top of that I think Pac is fast enough (and Cotto's guard loose enough) that Pac will be able to shoot punches down the middle of Cotto's guard. Lastly, cuts could be an issue, because once you start getting them it's easier to keep getting them, and Pac does a number on the face of everyone he fights.

All that being said, if Manny can't take what Cotto has to offer and isn't perfectly on his A-game, there's a chance Cotto will eiher blow him out of walk him down and overwhelm him. Unlike Hatton, Cotto has the skills to go with the size, and that makes him a dangerous opponent.

As long as Manny brings his best, I think he'll take a decision or just maybe a late stoppage due to a cut or something.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugilist_boyd View Post
PROB. been done but i respect classic opinion much more,i am undecided wether pacs speed will be to much or cotto,s power and skill to much ill go on a limb and say im 60% sure cotto will take him or at least i hope he will

you see , classic forum members do have a better understanding in average than , again , the average poster on the general forum , but they don't like to check their measure of realism. i say , had it been held at 147 , i go with cotto by decision , maybe even a late stoppage , but at this catchweight ? i don't know how cotto will be effected by it . he was able to survive judah's speed , and i doubt if pac hits that much harder than judah . if cotto could take margarito's plasterred punches for so long , i guess he can take pac's. but then again , i don't know how the weight will effect cotto.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This is it for Pac man. This is the fight that will show how great Freddie Roach really thinks he is. This is against a young tough technically good championship caliber welterweight. There are no questions about Cotto. He is the real deal. He can punch, take a punch, and will make it a real fight. Ive never really been sold on Pac so if he wins this fight I'll be a believer.
My personal opinion is that Cotto will handle Pac quite easily. Hes shown me an uncanny ability to deal with fighters with a lot of speed. Hes an excellent counterpuncher who is able to time his opponents very well. Speedy guys like Corley, Mosley and Judah, were all victims of his excellent countering ability. They had their moments and I think Cotto may even get knocked down, but ultimately they were all worn down by Cottos tremedous pressure.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Cotto, by TKO.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
This is by far Pacquiao's most dangerous fight. Pacquiao will be facing a bigger stronger fighter in that fighter's physical prime. Cotto is very athletic, has a strong will to win, and will definitely bring his best game with him.

When Pac faced Hatton, Hatton only had a slight advantage in size in only a couple of areas. Going by some of the prefight numbers, Hatton was not really the larger fighter. I'm confident that Cotto will be the larger man come fight night.

When Cotto faced Judah, I thought Cotto was going to get ko'd by a left hand. I have been impressed to see Cotto's adjustments to that side of the head, but they were against conventional fighters.

I have not made my mind up on this one. Pacquiao has the side to side speed, hand speed, and the correct angle of left hand punch to land on Cotto. Of Pacquiao's 3 past larger opponents, none had the ability to be the ring's general. Cotto has the ability to take command in there, and make Pac look like a lower weight fighter that sometimes fares well at a higher class.

I can't wait to see this go down.

Good post. Cotto has the edge for me.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Caponecartels
Maritime Lawyer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
It's a fine briefing.

The thing that makes this matchup interesting is how Pac's durability holds up against a true welterweight, and a big strong powerful one at that. If Cotto can get his big shots in then I think he might able to hurt and finish Pac. I think Pac has all the tools to out-box Cotto but for how long. This won't be a Hatton vs Pac fight. It really feels like a flip em one, but at the same time I can envision Pac out-boxing Cotto consistently and winning easily. The thing is, though, I don't know how long he can get away. Cotto has to get to him, and Cotto can neutralize speed. I think Pac should be a very slight favored. I'm holding back on making a pick currently, but I ever so slightly lean towards Cotto.
Good post yourself there buddy. I have thought about it bit more
and see it as a 55/45 fight now, favoring Cotto.
With all the reports coming outta Pac's training camp,
I can't help but feel he's taking this a little too lightly.
Perhaps I'm wrong but I won't know for certain until the fight.
Cotto seems to be be much more serious in his camp, more so than in previous ones.
I really hopes he doesn't over-train though.
Oh and have you been on FNR4 lately? I haven't got on in over month, ****ing college. It's harder than I expected.
Caponecartels is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Pacquaio. The speed/relentless/footwork advantages tells me Pac will be able to tee off on Cottos open defense. Pacs physically benefited from going up to 140, he's better at adding functional muscle mass than anyone in boxing history, he packs an incredible amount of muscle mass and incredibly low body fat for his size so I dont expect him to be physically overwhelmed by Cotto, although this is Cottos biggest chance. Cotto had problems with fast southpaws like Judah/Corley and both could hit him at will. Pacman is better than both and will keep hitting him throughout the fight. Cotto also fades down the stretch so unless he has imposed his will/size on Pacquaio or out timing him by round 8, hes losing the championship rounds and maybe getting ko'd in them. Pac certainly has the better stamina of the 2. Cotto has also been hurt by Torres, Judah, Corley, Margarito, Mosley, Clottey and those are just the 1s I can think of - not all are big punchers. If Pacquaio hurts Cotto, the Pacman finnishes him

Another point is Pacquaio's defensive discipline, head movement and 2 handed attacks have come a long way, and in this way hes at his best right now

Its not an unwinable fight for Cotto if he gets his jab 1/2 working and manages to work the body well. But Pacquaio isnt the type of fighter who gets overwhelmed as most of Cottos opponents have he fights fire with fire and against Margarito Cotto broke when someone matched him and kept coming.

I'm not 100% on this because Pac is going in against a bigger man in his prime with good skills of his own so there allot of question marks, he tends to answer them quite emphatically and I expect the Pacquiao legend to continue for now
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum