boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: WHO TAKES IT
COTTO BY KO 12 42.86%
COTTO BY DEC 2 7.14%
PACMAN BY KO 10 35.71%
PACMAN BY DEC 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Manny Pacquiao will win by TKO between rounds 6 and 11. He is too fast for Cotto, he will find Cotto's rather basic defence very easy to breach. Cotto is not a particularly slow welter, but he is up against a naturally much lighter man with added muscle but no body fat. Pacquiao will be catching him cleanly from angles all night and Miguel will not see them coming. If predictable plodders like Margarito and Clottey can repeatedly land clean on Cotto then Pacquiao will use him for target practice. And although Pac may not have true welterweight power, he definitely has enough power to stop Cotto on accumulation. Look at what he did to Hatton, who had beaten Tszyu, Collazo, and went 10 rounds with Mayweather. Cotto's only chance would be to back Pac against the ropes and unload body combinations on him, but I guarantee that all Roach is doing now is working with Pac on his footwork to avoid ever feeling his back on the ropes. In the centre of the ring, Manny owns this fight. It will be fast, it will be frantic, it will be ****ing full of blood, but the referee will rescue Cotto in the mid-late. Fight Of The Year.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Manny Pacquiao will win by TKO between rounds 6 and 11. He is too fast for Cotto, he will find Cotto's rather basic defence very easy to breach. Cotto is not a particularly slow welter, but he is up against a naturally much lighter man with added muscle but no body fat. Pacquiao will be catching him cleanly from angles all night and Miguel will not see them coming. If predictable plodders like Margarito and Clottey can repeatedly land clean on Cotto then Pacquiao will use him for target practice. And although Pac may not have true welterweight power, he definitely has enough power to stop Cotto on accumulation. Look at what he did to Hatton, who had beaten Tszyu, Collazo, and went 10 rounds with Mayweather. Cotto's only chance would be to back Pac against the ropes and unload body combinations on him, but I guarantee that all Roach is doing now is working with Pac on his footwork to avoid ever feeling his back on the ropes. In the centre of the ring, Manny owns this fight. It will be fast, it will be frantic, it will be ****ing full of blood, but the referee will rescue Cotto in the mid-late. Fight Of The Year.
What about Judah? Hes a speedy slick southpaw with real good power, and was a natural 140 pounder who came up to 47. Also COtto has improved quite a bit since the Corley fight. Forget about Margarito he has the same style as Cotto, full speed ahead, and he was a giant welterweight with loaded gloves.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
What about Judah? Hes a speedy slick southpaw with real good power, and was a natural 140 pounder who came up to 47. Also COtto has improved quite a bit since the Corley fight. Forget about Margarito he has the same style as Cotto, full speed ahead, and he was a giant welterweight with loaded gloves.
Since he got hit a lot in the second Marquez fight, Pac & Roach have worked a lot on Pac's footwork and movement. I believe Pac will be far harder to find than dumbass Judah ever was. I also believe that Pac punches with more commitment, precision and power. In short, I believe Pac is better in every way and should not even be compared in any way to the underachiever Judah. Pac would blitz Judah early at welterweight or any other weight. The Pac-Cotto fight will not resemble Cotto-Judah at all IMO.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #19
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

I really think Pac's going to shred Cotto. Miguel's defense is just too poor for him to withstand Pacquiao's assault. He won't be able to get within range of Manny without taking some vicious shots coming from every angle, and I don't think he has the chin to take what Pac can dish out. Cotto has a lot of heart, and is of course a naturally bigger man, so I'll say he lasts into the 8th or 9th, but I struggle to see how he's going to stop the kind of offensive force Pacquiao is.
the cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Since he got hit a lot in the second Marquez fight, Pac & Roach have worked a lot on Pac's footwork and movement.
Theres no evidence hes improved in that way since then.
Polymath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 75
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

I like Pacquiao by decision.
By fight night, Cotto will problably outweigh Pac by 10 lbs. In essense he will be the strongest fighter Pac will have shared a ring with. Cotto will be troubled by the speed, but will have some success jabbing to the body. Before punching Cotto will crouch and get set, Pac should be able to keep him turning, and making him reset while attacking off angles. I'm thinking it will be a good fight...and Pacquiao shouldn't get too brave.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #22
Jaws
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
This is it for Pac man. This is the fight that will show how great Freddie Roach really thinks he is. This is against a young tough technically good championship caliber welterweight. There are no questions about Cotto. He is the real deal. He can punch, take a punch, and will make it a real fight. Ive never really been sold on Pac so if he wins this fight I'll be a believer.
My personal opinion is that Cotto will handle Pac quite easily. Hes shown me an uncanny ability to deal with fighters with a lot of speed. Hes an excellent counterpuncher who is able to time his opponents very well. Speedy guys like Corley, Mosley and Judah, were all victims of his excellent countering ability. They had their moments and I think Cotto may even get knocked down, but ultimately they were all worn down by Cottos tremedous pressure.
These are my thoughts as well. I think both men could win, but if I had to choose, I pick Cotto.

This is Manny's true test. If he beats Cotto, I will jump on the bandwagon. That in itself makes it a very exciting fight.
Jaws is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #23
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caponecartels View Post
Good post yourself there buddy. I have thought about it bit more
and see it as a 55/45 fight now, favoring Cotto.
With all the reports coming outta Pac's training camp,
I can't help but feel he's taking this a little too lightly.
Perhaps I'm wrong but I won't know for certain until the fight.
Cotto seems to be be much more serious in his camp, more so than in previous ones.
I really hopes he doesn't over-train though.
Oh and have you been on FNR4 lately? I haven't got on in over month, ****ing college. It's harder than I expected.
Yeah, heard the reports on Pac. He's training now and Roach seems happy and says he's better than ever. Take it for what it is I guess. And no, haven't had the time to play FN4 really. Busy, and damn mid-terms coming up. Sucks
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #24
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
Theres no evidence hes improved in that way since then.
You don't know much about boxing then. Irrespective of the resistance offered by Diaz and Oscar, Pacquiao's footwork in those fights was noticeably different and better to his previous fights. Also, his power has increased with the added weight, the evidence being that he one-punch KO'd a natural light-welter that Kostya Tszyu couldn't put a dent in, and Pac had not been a one-punch KO man for years.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,654
vCash: 75
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Cotto is not flat-footed. He's a fine versatile boxer with some glaring defensive liabilities. That said, while Cotto would normally have the edge being the bigger, stronger man, and I can't fault anyone for picking up on the fact that momentum is so for Manny and against Cotto that public opinion is getting carried away.....Cotto's right hand is a powder-puff.

I feel you need a strong right hand with utility -- capable of dealing with a wide variety of situations to exploit Pac. Cotto combos with it but it's for show otherwise.

Pac will get angles on Cotto near his weaker hand and land the straight left with enough regularity to stop him. My heart really wants to go for the upset, because Cotto is not getting enough respect here (not in this topic though) and Pac-mania is running wild, but Roach is too clever a coach and Pac too quick with his rythm and on his feet to not take maximum advantage of Cotto's weaker side, and has enough handspeed to land solid and finish.

Pac by TKO.
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #26
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

All offensive pressure fighters have defensive liabilities, because they're constantly moving forward. I think Cotto has adjusted his defense nicely since hes moved up in weight. The guy has one loss for crying out loud, and it was against a proven cheater who is a big weltwerweight to begin with. I just cant see how Pac can punch harder than Mosley or Judah, and especially Judah, he has concussive power for a little guy. Ive personally been in the gym with Judah, and hes a small guy 5'6", but he punches like a friggen middleweight.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #27
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Interesting matchup. I'm just not that impressed with Cotta, and think Pac is light years ahead as a fighter.

However how many questions are there on Pac right now? He's had all of 3 fights over 130 in his career. One was at 135, one he weighed 142 vs DLH, who could well have been well past it, and a fight vs Hatton at 140, which in hindsight was stylistically perfect for Pac.

Pac is about a 2-1 fave, and i think those odds are ludicrous. He's getting a long way up in the weights now, vs naturally much bigger men.

Is it a jump to many?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #28
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
You don't know much about boxing then. Irrespective of the resistance offered by Diaz and Oscar, Pacquiao's footwork in those fights was noticeably different and better to his previous fights. Also, his power has increased with the added weight, the evidence being that he one-punch KO'd a natural light-welter that Kostya Tszyu couldn't put a dent in, and Pac had not been a one-punch KO man for years.
Thanks for clearing that up n00b.

I guess this is the same Iron Chinned Hatton who was put on ***** street by Juan Lazcano.


No lighter weight fighter has ever moved up and become, p4p, a more powerful puncher.
Polymath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #29
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,654
vCash: 75
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

If the odds are really so that Pac is a 2-1 favorite, I am betting a healthy sum on Cotto.
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #30
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto vs pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymath View Post

No lighter weight fighter has ever moved up and become, p4p, a more powerful puncher.
They possibly have if they were still maturing and developing at the time.


Think about this one.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015