boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000
Default Johnny famechon

How do you rate the aussie stylist?
Boro chris is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Johnny famechon

Reminds me a bit of Ken Buchanan.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

is he really french
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He was a classic standup type boxer who flashed some power no one knew he had when he stopped Fighting Harada in their rematch. Harada shouldn't have that held against him there, however, as he near the end of his career and wasn't anywhere near the fighter he once was. Famechon, however, was very good, but met Vincente Saldivar in his next fight and was beaten on a decision, then he promptly retired. Maybe he didn't have the significant number of defenses that would have qualified him to be ranked higher than he was, but he was very good nonetheless. He was hit by a race car and suffering neurological injuries and couldnt walk for a while, but recovered and was able to walk down the aisle for his marraige.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Very good fighter, but I don't think was quite great. Good standup boxer, also very tough and resilient. Was involved in a number of close, disputed decisions going either way - Legra, Harada, Saldivar. Retired at a relatively young age as I recall.

I wouldn't rate him on the level of someone like Fenech or Darcy when discussing the best Aussie fighters.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Excellent technical boxer.One of the best in the history of the division.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

What I've seen of him was very impressive and its sad he's underappreciated outside of Australia.
Think I'd rate him ahead of Howard Winstone.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.

Fammo gets the respects deserved to him in Australia and remains a revered figure. Coming from the great French fighting family and moving to Oz at the age of 5, Fammo is as close to Australia as the soil he stands on.

His fighting ability is often questioned, never disputed, just questioned over some early close calls he had in getting the decision. Ambrose Palmer, his trainer, taught him a sound defense before anything else and Fammo worked relentlessly behind his left hand. Boxing his way to taking a points win over Jose Legra is testimony to his abilities. Harada was unlucky in Sydney to not take Fammo's crownd, although Fammo made Harada pay in Tokyo. As for the fight with Saldivar, the alegations that the judges were paid off, and the fight was never going to see Fammo as the winner have not faded. Yes, Fammo retired immediately after and remained close to the fight game until the day he was hit by a car in Sydney. He lay in a coma with a John Doe toe tag for about 24 hours before anyone recognised him. His recovery has been miraculous, and the support from his beautiful wife Glynnis has carried him through. As mentioned in the above post, Fammo did get to walk down the aisle to wed Glynnis, as she gave him the encouragement to do so by saying she'd only marry him if he did walk the aisle.

Fammo is a great bloke, very humorous, witty and generous with his time for others. He never complains about the effects of the accident that nearly killed him, carries a big smile for all to see and makes grown men cry when they reflect on his charactor.

People might question his champion qualities from the ring days, but very few come close to his champion qualities and courage that has seen Fammo fight back to his current position. He showed just how big his heart is, and Glynnis has been in his corner all the way through.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
is he really french
nah but his uncle Ray Famechon was who was European Featherweight Champion and fought Willie Pep for the world title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
He was a classic standup type boxer who flashed some power no one knew he had when he stopped Fighting Harada in their rematch. Harada shouldn't have that held against him there, however, as he near the end of his career and wasn't anywhere near the fighter he once was. Famechon, however, was very good, but met Vincente Saldivar in his next fight and was beaten on a decision, then he promptly retired. Maybe he didn't have the significant number of defenses that would have qualified him to be ranked higher than he was, but he was very good nonetheless. He was hit by a race car and suffering neurological injuries and couldnt walk for a while, but recovered and was able to walk down the aisle for his marraige.
I havent seen it yet but most people tought Harada beat Famechon in the 1st fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
Excellent technical boxer.One of the best in the history of the division.
yup
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=GPater11093;5152890]nah but his uncle Ray Famechon was who was European Featherweight Champion and fought Willie Pep for the world title.

i thought he was born in paris
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamengo View Post
Fammo gets the respects deserved to him in Australia and remains a revered figure. Coming from the great French fighting family and moving to Oz at the age of 5, Fammo is as close to Australia as the soil he stands on.

His fighting ability is often questioned, never disputed, just questioned over some early close calls he had in getting the decision. Ambrose Palmer, his trainer, taught him a sound defense before anything else and Fammo worked relentlessly behind his left hand. Boxing his way to taking a points win over Jose Legra is testimony to his abilities. Harada was unlucky in Sydney to not take Fammo's crownd, although Fammo made Harada pay in Tokyo. As for the fight with Saldivar, the alegations that the judges were paid off, and the fight was never going to see Fammo as the winner have not faded. Yes, Fammo retired immediately after and remained close to the fight game until the day he was hit by a car in Sydney. He lay in a coma with a John Doe toe tag for about 24 hours before anyone recognised him. His recovery has been miraculous, and the support from his beautiful wife Glynnis has carried him through. As mentioned in the above post, Fammo did get to walk down the aisle to wed Glynnis, as she gave him the encouragement to do so by saying she'd only marry him if he did walk the aisle.

Fammo is a great bloke, very humorous, witty and generous with his time for others. He never complains about the effects of the accident that nearly killed him, carries a big smile for all to see and makes grown men cry when they reflect on his charactor.

People might question his champion qualities from the ring days, but very few come close to his champion qualities and courage that has seen Fammo fight back to his current position. He showed just how big his heart is, and Glynnis has been in his corner all the way through.

Nice to hear about the man
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #12
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Nice to hear about the man

A great man to hear about AL. For the others.. Patto and who ever, yes he was born in France.... that's in Europe.. just in case you're wondering. His Father and Uncles being Andre, Ray and Emile.. all great fighters.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
A great man to hear about AL. For the others.. Patto and who ever, yes he was born in France.... that's in Europe.. just in case you're wondering. His Father and Uncles being Andre, Ray and Emile.. all great fighters.

no i was not wondering where paris is but thanks all the same
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
no i was not wondering where paris is but thanks all the same
I was 'takin the ****'.. obviously.

Some folks are still bewildered no doubt.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #15
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
thats where it was, and me thinking you Aussies had Disneyland Paris
GPater11093 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum